SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. miami - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

59 minutes ago, Fetch said:

That 1st period was one of the worst ever

No doubt it was unimpressive.  I attribute a part of that to injuries and mixing lines a bit.  This team has yet to settle into "regular" line-mates.  As with others on this board, I would like to see a return of the "heavy" line, with Gardner, Olson and Poganski wreaking havoc on other teams top lines.    That would open up an opportunity for a Gersich, Jones, Mismash trio that could be a very dangerous line.  And we easily have a 3rd and 4th line as well. 

I also like that we seem to have two goalies who can give this team a chance to win games.

We had a horrible time getting out of our zone in the first.  Jones's goal really lit the fire in my opinion.  When we spent time in their zone in the second, especially around the net, good things happened.  Jones had a great move on his first score.  Nice to see some guys with a scoring touch.  

Coaches will have broken down the film from last night and should give the boys solid direction for tonight.  Miami ran a very aggressive forecheck.  This took away time and space for our dmen and led to some turnovers that fortunately they didn't capitalize on.  When you get doubled up in your own end, you have to have an outlet.  We didn't have one- they effectively took it away.  Our in game adjustment seemed to be to try and stretch the zone.  That isn't our typical game, so we need to figure out how to play our game under that kind of pressure.  If you are doubled, someone is open.  You have to pass your way out of it.  You can't usually outskate two forecheckers.  The dman without the puck kept defensively responsible, which probably saved some goals, but it closed off the d to d pass with any flow.  Center and weakside winger have to get low.  Center needs to basically play the role of a dman, and that weakside winger needs to get low on the hash.  I like keeping that strongside wing  a little bit higher to keep them honest.  If they are running a  3 man, strong side double forecheck, we need 4 guys at or below the circles.

6 hours ago, burd said:

I really like this group too, but if Miami had converted on a couple grade A chances and one or two of our scrum goals not gone in, the outcome would have been different and  I think a lot of fans would be complaining about the effort.  Miami is a better skating team, and our passing was not particularly good.   I'm happy with the result and the effort, just saying how outcome-centric we tend to be as critics of the boys' play.  

Really nice to see how well Thome is playing.   Bodes well for this year and looking ahead. 

Do you think Miami had more grade A chances than UND last night? UND did get some dirty goals, but Miami's goalie also made some unbelievable saves. I thought UND overall definitely had the better chances. 

48 minutes ago, AJS said:

Do you think Miami had more grade A chances than UND last night? UND did get some dirty goals, but Miami's goalie also made some unbelievable saves. I thought UND overall definitely had the better chances. 

Yeah, UND missed a lot of them.  Just saying it would not have taken too much for that game to have a different result.  

7 minutes ago, burd said:

Yeah, UND missed a lot of them.  Just saying it would not have taken too much for that game to have a different result.  

Their defensemen got some pucks through traffic that Thome was thankfully in good position for because he got hit with pucks 4 or 5 times that he never saw.

More shots on goal is better than less shots on goal I'd give the the more a A & less a S (for Sucks) especially if the other team has 9 & we had 4 

I did not say either team played ok the 1st period but we difinitely Sucked 

Never saw more bad passes where the Passer didn't look & the intentional receiver of the pass creating a turn over in the worst end possible

Have these Mafia types gotten dumber ...?

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Other than bits of the first I thought we played well.  

I think the issue was that we didn't establish our game.  Yes, the first was a disaster.  We looked like deer in headlights in our end against that forecheck.  Later, we played better, but we were not able to establish "our" game.  We played the game that was dictated to us, and we won based on some great efforts.  We need to establish our game early.  Fast feet, short accurate passes.  Get pucks deep, establish and play possession.  

41 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the issue was that we didn't establish our game.  Yes, the first was a disaster.  We looked like deer in headlights in our end against that forecheck.  Later, we played better, but we were not able to establish "our" game.  We played the game that was dictated to us, and we won based on some great efforts.  We need to establish our game early.  Fast feet, short accurate passes.  Get pucks deep, establish and play possession.  

That's true, and Miami was the better skating team, IMO.   Though there are a lot of factors that go into which team "seems" quicker.