SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. miami - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Solid forty minutes of play.  Thome did a great job keeping the team in it during the first.  We could have easily come into the second period down a couple. 

Jones is a beast, and the breakout pass by Bast reminded me of LaDue...when LaDue was a junior.  Hmm...

Sixty minutes tomorrow should net 3 more points. 

GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1

Solid win after a poor first period. Thome is very solid. Jones is our best 2 way forward. Gersich needs to get off Rhett's line. Yon was good tonight. Kawaguchi seems to be completely lost at times. D was solid but wouldn't mind seeing Kiersted tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

UND picked up after the first and were either even or held the advantage I feel in the final two periods. Thome has been looking strong, big kid with a bright future but Cam is still definitely the starter on any given night, but at least Thome is getting some game experience and can either spell a game down the stretch or step in if Cam struggles. Yes Gardner got a goal but it was fairly gift-wrapped by Gersich (who I thought played fantastic tonight). Pogo was making some noise but didn't have much to show for it. I am really waiting to see Jones tried out on the top line, not sure why Berry doesn't give it a shot because Jones has been playing fantastic and I feel his style of play would better suit Gersich/Mismash. Mismash has been playing well and looks very much at home on the top line. 

To add, I don't think Rhett is a bad player, I just don't think his skillset suits the top line with speed/skill like Gersich and Mismash. He would be better suited for the second or third line, with a grinding type unit. I thought the best he's played in his time at UND was on a "big" line that physically wore other teams out by grinding them in the corners and controlling the puck. 

Thoughts:

~Huge first period for Thome.  Team was flat, and he held his own with some big stops and kept it tied.

~Gersich and Jones both with great nights.  Maybe they don't play on the same line to spread the wealth a bit.  Right now Jones might be the team's most valuable player with what he does in all areas.  

~I think it will click eventually with Gooch.  Got to remember what he did for his team last year playing every one of his shifts against a certain Nick Jones in the BCHL finals.

~Nice to win when they don't play their best game.  

I really like this group too, but if Miami had converted on a couple grade A chances and one or two of our scrum goals not gone in, the outcome would have been different and  I think a lot of fans would be complaining about the effort.  Miami is a better skating team, and our passing was not particularly good.   I'm happy with the result and the effort, just saying how outcome-centric we tend to be as critics of the boys' play.  

Really nice to see how well Thome is playing.   Bodes well for this year and looking ahead. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, burd said:

I really like this group too, but if Miami had converted on a couple grade A chances and one or two of our scrum goals not gone in, the outcome would have been different and  I think a lot of fans would be complaining about the effort.  Miami is a better skating team, and our passing was not particularly good.   I'm happy with the result and the effort, just saying how outcome-centric we tend to be as critics of the boys' play.  

Really nice to see how well Thome is playing.   Bodes well for this year and looking ahead. 

you are correct.  We found a way to win a game tonight when we weren't our best.  Good teams do that.  I did think we were a step slower.  They came in ready to play, and their system had us in fits, as did their speed.  To the staff's credit, we appeared to adjust after the first.  

Early on, they really took our defensemen out of the offensive side of the game.  That was smart, kept us from transition, kept us pinned in our own end, dmen with backs to the attack zone and 200 feet away and nowhere to escape.  

Adams had a golden opportunity on the one-timer that he missed, and we did have a couple nice looks from the slot that didn't connect as well.  

Gutty win for us in an overall C performance.

12 hours ago, 808287 said:

Solid forty minutes of play.  Thome did a great job keeping the team in it during the first.  We could have easily come into the second period down a couple. 

Jones is a beast, and the breakout pass by Bast reminded me of LaDue...when LaDue was a junior.  Hmm...

Sixty minutes tomorrow should net 3 more points. 

GO SIOUX!!!

That 1st period was one of the worst ever

• Upvote 1