SiouxSports.com Forum

New Hospital Facility in GF

The Sicatoka

So Altru is looking at finally scrapping their aged, piece-meal facilities and consolidating into a new building?

Actually, very smart. Why?

Because there are now contractors who know how to build such facilities in the area (Essentia Fargo expansion, new Sanford Fargo, UND Medical building) who are looking for work. Contractors looking for work tend to put in more competitive bids. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4356287-new-hospital-marks-bold-new-era-altru  

So, will this end up back on Columbia Road or will they look for a completely new site? 

• Upvote 2

I worked at St Michaels back when the new United Hospital was built & opened - time sure has flied by 

Wonder if they are talking tearing down everything at current site or remodel hospital into say Clinic ? & Build new Hospital where clinic is now ? Anyone know where new site might be ?

I go to 5 different Doctors & have not minded where they are now 

I have a son inlaw that works at new Sanford hospital & he  is not really thrilled - too big & a lot of walking 

A strong Altru is good for GF, period.

I have a short wish list...can we finally get a locally-based life flight helicopter?  It blows my mind that we don't have one, given our status as a rural hub and the distance to top-level facilities in Fargo or Minneapolis.

And maybe a helipad that's attached to the building?  Can you imagine, having to ride 150 yards across a roped off parking lot in an ambulance just to board a waiting copter?

• Upvote 1

& the way you are treated today in the hospital it is not nessessary to have hospital & clinic connected - you are seen by the emergency room 1st then a Hospitalist special Doctors who only work in hospital (we have some good ones) rare for your regular doctors to come to hospital anymore - but our emergency room is ok at best & I'd love to see us getting a bigger / faster / better ER - Insurance doesn't want to pay for long hospital stays

Imagine spending 250 million on some of the best young & expirenced doctors & other Medical personal & pay them well so they stay & latest equipment & technology - isn't that more important than buildings ?

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Imagine spending 250 million on some of the best young doctors & other Medical personal & pay them well so they stay - isn't that more important than buildings ?

The best want the best facilities (for example, see REA). 

GF's medical facilities are dated (and in one case crumbling). 

There's no envy; it's need. And if it's needed the community should be willing to address the need; however, if Altru went looking for a larger affiliation it wouldn't be an all bad thing. (I'm not saying Sanford per se.) 

• Upvote 1

Untill it's sold. The Sanford gift giving will most likely end some day. It's a good no great thing to have some deep pockets in your city.

Alerus, Altru, Rydell stay local. All of Vallry Dairy $ went to Fargo.There's been a brain drain at UND we don't need a $ drain in GF.

KNOX says almost all ad buying is local companies.

• Downvote 1

Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls.

Sanford moved into Fargo, Fargo got a renovated arena and a new hospital.

Sanford moved into Bemidji, Bemidji got a new arena.

Sanford moved into Bismarck, Bismarck got a new outdoor sports complex and will be getting a new northside hospital.

IIRC, Altru only helped out with the IPF at UND after UND denied Sanford's bid for a sports medicine partnership.

Altru's tertiary care partner is Mayo.  Sanford is trying to compete with Mayo.  The affiliate agreement with Mayo kept decision making local while establishing a defined specialty relationship with one of the world leaders in care.  Keeping operational and financial decision making local was key.  A system that loses local decision autonomy becomes beholden to the mothership.  As for provider comp,  the general rule of thumb is that communities like GF actually have to pay more than more "cosmopolitan" communities in order to attract talent.  A strong, independently managed Altru is tremendously important to the viability of the community.  Its economic impact to the region is tremendous as it brings in substantial federal dollars and provides thousands of jobs across income bands and skill sets.  They in turn spend money thus creating more jobs.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Altru's tertiary care partner is Mayo.  Sanford is trying to compete with Mayo.  The affiliate agreement with Mayo kept decision making local while establishing a defined specialty relationship with one of the world leaders in care.  Keeping operational and financial decision making local was key.  A system that loses local decision autonomy becomes beholden to the mothership.  As for provider comp,  the general rule of thumb is that communities like GF actually have to pay more than more "cosmopolitan" communities in order to attract talent.  A strong, independently managed Altru is tremendously important to the viability of the community.  Its economic impact to the region is tremendous as it brings in substantial federal dollars and provides thousands of jobs across income bands and skill sets.  They in turn spend money thus creating more jobs.

Thanks good stuff.  DO NOT give the state The Ralph Engelstad Arena. Last report was 500 million in deferred  maintenance at UND.Trust?

• Downvote 2

So altru is building a new hospital. What new information did they announce the other day? Haven’t they been saying for a couple years they plan on building new? Altru’s services have lacked for some time and they have a crumbling clinic that has sat empty/idle for quite some time now. They sure know how to talk the talk but can barely walk in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

So altru is building a new hospital. What new information did they announce the other day? Haven’t they been saying for a couple years they plan on building new? Altru’s services have lacked for some time and they have a crumbling clinic that has sat empty/idle for quite some time now. They sure know how to talk the talk but can barely walk in my opinion.

Agree that talk is cheap.  But, if nothing else, they finally put their money where their mouth is by hiring an architect.  A firm commitment to a 9-figure investment demonstrates something.  What would make you happy...if they dissolved entirely and put up a State Dept of Health MASH tent?

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

About 10 months. I'd imagine there is a lot of red tape they had to go through both to see what happened, if it could be fixed, if there is any builder liability and what kind of insurance payout they would get before they could actually make any real decisions. That's not even taking into account the work they had to do to rearrange all of their services.

I think Rednecksioux may have been referring back 5-6 years ago when Altru leaders came out with renderings and plans to renovate the hospital.  Those plans kind of went away, probably due to the purchase of Doctor's hospital on S. Washington.

EDIT:  Here' a link to a story on the plans from 2012...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/business/2170903-altru-announces-major-expansion-plans-purchase-doctors-hospital