SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks - Eagles

UNDBIZ

16 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

After seeing how Sac. State's fourth QB, true Frosh, did in his college debut against us, I don't hold out much hope that we will do much contain the Eagles this Saturday.  I hope I'm wrong...either way, the end of this nightmare of a season will be over.  Can't believe it's already over and it's been as bad as it has been.  Going to be a really long off season.

I don't disagree in the slightest, just trying to temper anyone's expectations that the game is going to be a lot easier even with Gubrud out. On top of it, EWU is playing with their backs against the wall at 5-4. The points and the over (-6.5, 68.5) look to be a good bet on Saturday.

In five days the season is over. All these injuries and not one additional player will be healthy enough to play Saturday, doesn't seem right? Not many optimistic supporters here. E Wash has only won two more games than we did. Who knows,  E Wash may not be mentally ready for this game, they've had a tough last ten days.  It is possible this game could be close, especially if some of our wounded show up.  I'm going to enjoy the game, waited a year for this baby. GO HAWKS!

9 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Doesn't really matter who they have starting ...they have a perennial "system".   They might only score 70 instead 80 now. 

I am very intrigued by this.  Eastern almost has the exact opposite approach offensively compared to UND.  They have a system and players prepared to run it, regardless of the QB.  I don't think they change much offensively as it probably doesn't take 3 years to learn.

25 minutes ago, clawman said:

Eagle fan here coming to your place this weekend. I am not accustomed to indoor football so looking for some guidance. How warm is it inside your place? Are coats necessary?jacket? short sleeves?

Welcome and hope to see you at the Hawk's Nest. I'm in section 215. If your in the visitor's section 217, we'll be close.

Outside will be 18 degrees in the morning and 28 degrees at game time with 15 mph wind. 8" of wet snow last Saturday, that froze rock hard since.

Inside will be 70 degrees, no sun. 

This was supposed to be the game of the season for us, well we fell on hard times, still hope to make a game of it.

I'm going deer hunting and will get back just in time for the game so will not make it to tailgating, but if your up to that, you'll find plenty of friendly fans to the south of the Hawk's Nest.

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Welcome and hope to see you at the Hawk's Nest. I'm in section 215. If your in the visitor's section 217, we'll be close.

Outside will be 18 degrees in the morning and 28 degrees at game time with 15 mph wind. 8" of wet snow last Saturday, that froze rock hard since.

Inside will be 70 degrees, no sun. 

This was supposed to be the game of the season for us, well we fell on hard times, still hope to make a game of it.

I'm going deer hunting and will get back just in time for the game so will not make it to tailgating, but if your up to that, you'll find plenty of friendly fans to the south of the Hawk's Nest.

We're looking forward to the trip and game. It has been a disappointing year for Eagle fans as well. Losing 4 key players, 3 to the NFL, has had a greater impact than most of us expected. That combined with mostly new coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball have made for a difficult transition. The new coaching staff have tried to get more balance between run/pass, thus lower scoring games than we are accustomed to.

On top of all that our QB and a top linebacker are sitting this one out for disciplinary reasons. Beings it is your last game your players should be motivated to go out on a win. Perfect storm for the Hawks. (do you like that name?)

To the point, I am concerned about this one.

On another topic, does timing allow going to the hockey game and the football game? Are tickets available for both?

Thanks

1 hour ago, clawman said:

On another topic, does timing allow going to the hockey game and the football game? Are tickets available for both?

Thanks

There is time. Check the tickets forum on this site. Walk up tickets may be hard to come by for hockey, not a problem for football.   There are also season ticket holders that can't make it that sell on ticketmaster, so check there as well. 

Edit: After looking at the ticketmaster map, there are quite a few single seats available for walk up purchase for hockey. If you need more than one together, there are quite a few together in the top rows of 311, also available for walkup up purchase. If you have a preference for lower bowl, you'll have to pay the price for those seats from season ticket holders.

2 hours ago, clawman said:

We're looking forward to the trip and game.

Thanks

If you can find tickets (agree with srig's advice), by all means go, quite an experience at one of the best hockey programs in the country. Quite the venue.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Quite the venue.

Yep, you'll definitely want to head in when the doors open (1 hour before game time) to wander around and look at the place. Gets a bit crowded in the concourses close to game time and between periods. 

Clawman, if you are new to going to hockey games I actually recommend sitting upper level. Others might disagree, but I find it much easier to see everything from upper level. The Plexiglas is a hindrance when seated low unless you are behind one of the goals. By all means if you find yourself in GF take in a hockey game.

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ummmm...I think they should expect a lot of passing and that not much will change.  It's not like he is a true freshman and was running the scout team last week, like when Studs was thrown in there a few years ago.  He has been in their system almost two full years now since he redshirted and is the number 2 QB who would have gotten more reps than Z did when he came in during the second half.  Kid sounds like a stud, any sense of comfort of Gubrud being out is a false sense of security.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, clawman said:

Eagle fan here coming to your place this weekend. I am not accustomed to indoor football so looking for some guidance. How warm is it inside your place? Are coats necessary?jacket? short sleeves?

At the game I would recommend you try the fried cheese curds. We eat a couple orders each game. If your into regional beers say something on the message board. Few of the posters really know their hops and barely 

16 hours ago, sprig said:

Not sure why articles continue to point out we have a bye week after this game. Maybe a "bye bye CU next season" week would be more appropriate.

The way I see our bye week:

Coyote howl of disappointment.

Bison stampede to clean out locker rooms.

Coaches Jack Rabbit start to next season.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:18 AM, Sioux94 said:

Ummmm...I think they should expect a lot of passing and that not much will change.  It's not like he is a true freshman and was running the scout team last week, like when Studs was thrown in there a few years ago.  He has been in their system almost two full years now since he redshirted and is the number 2 QB who would have gotten more reps than Z did when he came in during the second half.  Kid sounds like a stud, any sense of comfort of Gubrud being out is a false sense of security.  

All of us in Eagle-land are anxious to see how he performs for an entire game as well. Two things I've heard and seen.

1. he was the QB for the scout team in practices last season, players have said he is the best opposing QB they've seen all season.

2. In our spring game called Red and White game, Eric was QB for the red team and they beat Gubrud and the white team.

IMO he will make freshman mistakes but has the ability to run this offense.

This is literally the last game for your team and if we don't win it is figuratively the end of our season for the Eagles.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/07/eastern-washington-will-turn-to-backup-quarterback/?utm_source=custom_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

29 minutes ago, clawman said:

All of us in Eagle-land are anxious to see how he performs for an entire game as well. Two things I've heard and seen.

1. he was the QB for the scout team in practices last season, players have said he is the best opposing QB they've seen all season.

2. In our spring game called Red and White game, Eric was QB for the red team and they beat Gubrud and the white team.

IMO he will make freshman mistakes but has the ability to run this offense.

This is literally the last game for your team and if we don't win it is figuratively the end of our season for the Eagles.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/07/eastern-washington-will-turn-to-backup-quarterback/?utm_source=custom_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Unfortunately our depleted secondary has made TRUE freshman starting their first game look like Joe Montana, you'll likely be quite pleased with his first game.  Sounds like he is a good scrambler too, which doesn't bode well for us when we actually do get some pressure on him. I'm sure he'll have a few nice play making runs.