SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I fully agree with each of gundy's comments in the previous few posts including the one above.  Faison did a lot of very good things but he did very little to solidify relationships with fans/donors.  In fact, he was often aloof and "chose" not to speak to donors when given the opportunity.  I have witnessed this more than once.

A personable, genuine AD who understands the importance of fundraising will help generate a lot more $ for the athletic department. 

This.......^^^!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

And the worst outcome. 

Sundogs would have been 100x worse.  Last thing we needed to give Kelley on his way out was his #1 nickname choice. 

Of course we all know why F.H won, it had fighting in front of the name and we were going to get that logo that floating around social media. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Davlun said:

I find it interesting everyone's opinion of which candidate would be the best choice. Has everyone forgotten our past selection process.

Fighting Hawks name. 

President Kennedy.

It doesn' matter what we think, our opinions are not considered.  Which begs the question,  who runs the asylum. 

Our opinions shouldn't be considered beyond respectful listening.  Too many people think there is a "GOBC" that actually has much influence over what happens at UND or with UND athletics.  I believe there are some folks who have breakfast  with or beers with some folks who are good supporters of UND athletics and know coaches and administrators. That group has some inside info at times and know some insiders. They may likely have some of the decision makers on their contact list/ speed dial  etc.  There are very few individuals who can bend the ear of Kennedy and influence his decisions.  There are groups including the UND Alumni Assn, Champions Club, Altru etc. and some individuals like Phil Jackson, Wes Rydell, John Barry,  Linda Pankratz etc who , if they bring suggestions or concerns he will spend time to look into the issues and get them answers.  The GOBC is delusional if they think they are in that group.  Donors  in the $1500-5000 group are appreciated and will get responses from the AD, Champions Club folks and even Kennedy because they realize how important they are to UND.  Even those who haven't donated yet or have donated less than $1000 will get responses.  Donors giving $5000 or more are often invited to social events with the President, Champions Club, Alumni officials and coaches.  They will listen to and speak with people at these events and follow up if someone has concerns or ideas.  They don't rely on any of these people to make the decisions for UND or the athletic dept.  They should have an intern to monitor social media but it shouldn't influence these decisions.

Some of the comments concerning what experience the candidates have or need aren't as important as finding the person with the passion, intelligence, personality, energy , work ethic, integrity, charisma and drive to quickly assess where we are as an athletic department and University.  They need to establish communication and cooperation with the University  administration, faculty and staff including our coaches as well as our student athletes.  They need to quickly establish communication and develop relationships with our student body and the Grand Forks community.  They need to quickly establish good working relationships with the Alumni Assn, the Champions Club and the REA.  They need to meet with and develop relationships with the booster clubs in GF and around the State and region.  They need to connect with the hockey and FB alumni groups and find key former athletes or coaches to develop similar groups with our women athletes and VB, MBB, WBB and so called non- revenue sports.  They need arrange to have dinner in the dorm dining facilities and every Fraternity and Sorority on campus.  They need to have dinner and meet with leaders from our Native American Assn, Black student Assn  and  International Student Assn.  They need to meet with the Dean of everyone of our Colleges and with whomever is in charge of what used to be High School relations.  They need to find out who in the UND family has the resources to donate $1,000,000 or more and get Phase II of the High Performance started and finished within the next 3-4 years.  That's off the cuff and there are likely some people or organizations that should be included.  Kennedy has the final decision. He should spend time with each of the candidates before the decision is made. Who the candidate is and whether or not they have the ability and energy to get this done is more important than whether or not they were an AD, an Asst. AD, from an FBS school or an NAIA school.  Each one of these four candidates have the resume '  on paper to do this.  I don't think most of us have had the executive experience , the experience interviewing, hiring and firing to expect we should be heard. I don't want someone like us who thinks the results of an athletic event depends on what kind of beer we are drinking to affect the outcome of a game to make the decision. With all due respect that is why they aren't going to listen to us.  Don't forget fans like us went crazy when UND hired Gino Gasparini as head Hockey coach instead of Ned Harkness.  We would still be fighting with the NCAA over the logo and  playing in the NSIC.  We don't have much to say because we won't be held accountable for the decision. Faison did a lot to bring  us past the financial disaster and the logo fiasco, the move to D1, the Hockey, Big West and Big Sky Championships.  Gundy is correct in that there were areas of weakness that left us short in some areas. Hopefully the new AD can improve on what Brian did with improved communication and fan/ student/ booster/ alumni interaction.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Chaves needs to be the front runner. There's potential with Mannausau and Porter, but Chaves has already been running a successful DI athletic department at the top.

Favorite has to be Chaves. 

I can see it now.  Kennedy to Chaves, "Get me phase II, now!!" 

Chaves, "who are the big donors?"

Kennedy, "I know a few but Manaussa has all the relationships built up from the past 20 years, but most big $$ wanted better leadership at the AD position".

Chaves to Manaussa, "go make me look good."

Manaussa to Chaves, "get bent"

4-5 years later, Chaves takes a position out west

Awkward, and back to square 1.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Kennedy, "I know a few but Manaussa has all the relationships built up from the past 20 years, but most big $$ wanted better leadership at the AD position".

Manaussau wouldn't do his job in order to torpedo the AD?  I hope this isn't true. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Manaussau wouldn't do his job in order to torpedo the AD?  I hope this isn't true. 

"Yeah Manaussau I'll donate all that phase two money only once you become the AD. Til them I'm going to hold the university back until they make me feel like I'm important and have influence of the university." :silly:

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Mike would not torpedo the AD - he is not that type of guy and he wouldn’t do anything to hurt UND. In fact, under this scenario, Mikeshould do all he can to assist the AD as he might be the front runner for the job 4-5 years from now.  I don’t think he will get it this time due to lack of experience. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Mike would not torpedo the AD - he is not that type of guy and he wouldn’t do anything to hurt UND. In fact, under this scenario, Mikeshould do all he can to assist the AD as he might be the front runner for the job 4-5 years from now.  I don’t think he will get it this time due to lack of experience. 

Could be right, still has to be awkward.  Not for Cratter and UNDBIZ I guess.

23 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Your word, torpedo. 

I would say donors will have to start the dating process, figure out who the new guy is.  You guys act like million dollar checks are written on a wimb.  The reality is these funds are tied up in earning assets.  Upon a liquidation event big funds are available. 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Your word, torpedo. 

I would say donors will have to start the dating process, figure out who the new guy is.  You guys act like million dollar checks are written on a wimb.  The reality is these funds are tied up in earning assets.  Upon a liquidation event big funds are available. 

You're going to argue the use of the word torpedo after posting that the associate AD would tell his boss to "get bent" when asked to do his job? I know large checks aren't written on a "whim." 

I respect your opinions on most things UND athletics and you may be right about Mannausau, but you're writing Chaves off as another Faison a little early, IMO. I think your personal relationship with one candidate may be clouding your judgment here. 

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You're going to argue the use of the word torpedo after posting that the associate AD would tell his boss to "get bent" when asked to do his job? I know large checks aren't written on a "whim." 

I respect your opinions on most things UND athletics and you may be right about Mannausau, but you're writing Chaves off as another Faison a little early, IMO. I think your personal relationship with one candidate may be clouding your judgment here. 

I am pretty loose on my language, judging from my posts........

Chaves or Manaussa should be a plus for FB.  Dilly dilly-

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Well then hire him now!

Mike knew what he was getting into when he applied and there is no chance he wasn't aware there is a chance he wouldn't get the job and would be reporting to whoever did, especially with his lack of experience. He cares for UND too much to even consider something like that if someone else is chosen. Situations like that are common in the professional world everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Mike knew what he was getting into when he applied and there is no chance he wasn't aware there is a chance he wouldn't get the job and would be reporting to whoever did, especially with his lack of experience. He cares for UND too much to even consider something like that if someone else is chosen. Situations like that are common in the professional world everywhere. 

Totally true...

20 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I sure hope something like that isn't in Mannasaus character, because then we shouldn't want him in charge to begin with. I highly doubt Mike would do something like that to sabotage UND athletics. 

I just think UND needs some new blood with some new ideas. Mannassau has also never held an athletic director assistant position before. Continually promoting from within is not always a good idea, particularly when there are complaints about the current department.

Chaves has ideas from a different department that was successful under his leadership. He knows FCS football and DI basketball at the level UND plays at. He would potentially be a great addition to UND athletics that could possibly help move UND football and basketball forward. 

All in all, we need someone with a vision for UND to be great.

In all honestly, Faison was satisfied with the status quo which was UND hockey championships and mediocre football and basketball. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I sure hope something like that isn't in Mannasaus character, because then we shouldn't want him in charge to begin with. I highly doubt Mike would do something like that to sabotage UND athletics. 

I just think UND needs some new blood with some new ideas. Mannassau has also never held an athletic director assistant position before. Continually promoting from within is not always a good idea, particularly when there are complaints about the current department.

Chaves has ideas from a different department that was successful under his leadership. He knows FCS football and DI basketball at the level UND plays at. He would potentially be a great addition to UND athletics that could possibly help move UND football and basketball forward. 

In all honestly, Faison was satisfied with the status quo which was UND hockey championships and mediocre football and basketball. 

The last time UND promoted an AD from within was Roger.  Its been Buning and Faison since, both long distance hires.  One was the worst hire in school history and the other one being OK.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

The last time UND promoted an AD from within was Roger.  Its been Buning and Faison since, both long distance hires.  One was the worst hire in school history and the other one being OK.  

Both hires on Kupchella's watch, with Faison coming aboard as Charles K. had one foot out the door.  I trust that Kennedy has a better eye.   

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

That's generous on both counts! 

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2018 at 2:41 PM, homer said:

Can you put any stake into the order of on campus visits?

- Jan. 7, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Monty Porter
- Jan. 8, Energy & Environmental Research Center Discovery Hall - Mike Mannausau
- Jan. 9, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Kellie Elliott
- Jan. 10, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Bill Chaves

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

For everyone making a big deal of my post.   "Get Bent-"

I was just pointing out what could be an awkward situation and one in which the new AD would have to rely on another finalist for success.  No one sees the irony?

• Upvote 1