SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, TRex said:

I have to wonder why he wants out of EWU?   We would be more of a lateral move than a step up, really.   I really have to wonder how much he understands about hockey?    We all know that's the horse that leads the cart around here.   At this point I'm not sure I like any of them.

In addition to the substantial pay increase, he'd be going from a directional "normal school" with an $18 million endowment to a state flagship with a $268 million endowment. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Why does my gut say Elliott is going to be as poor a choice as Fighting Hawks? 

She looks to be the weakest of the bunch...........plus anyone with even a slight California "mentality" isn't the answer for UND.

She is a distant 4th place in this 4 horse race.

She has the only P5 experience of the group as a Deputy Director at Florida State plus experience at two G5 schools, is a proven fundraiser and has a variety of experience outside of an athletic department. I'd say the actual knock on her is she seems to job hop. She's not at the top of my list but I struggle to see her as a distant fourth.

As for the California thing, the slam dunk candidate they couldn't get to apply has spent his last 30 years out there...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

She has the only P5 experience of the group as a Deputy Director at Florida State plus experience at two G5 schools, is a proven fundraiser and has a variety of experience outside of an athletic department. I'd say the actual knock on her is she seems to job hop. She's not at the top of my list but I struggle to see her as a distant fourth.

As for the California thing, the slam dunk candidate they couldn't get to apply has spent his last 30 years out there...

I can't wait to hear how her experience as at a G5 leader will get her hired as she leads UND into the new WAC!

• Upvote 1

I'd take the ewu guy.  Fyi he was sid at quinniapac for 6 years.  Not sure if he was around the hockey team or not.

His Twitter has some pictures of him at Spokane Chiefs games and I think I rememb him tweeting about und in the frozen four a few times.  Point is he has at least been around the game and likes it.   Has done great at ewu with limited resources in football and basketball.  

Fundraising wise, he has shown vision but didn't seem to have institutional support.  Not sure about him on that front as the gateway project never really got moving.

Their fans seem to like him but hate the president.  She seems to be the sjw type who doesn't like sports.

Chaves, 51, was honored in 2015-16 for the second time by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) as one of 28 winners of the Under Armour AD of the Year Award (ADOY). As one of four athletic directors in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision to be honored, he received his award during the James J. Corbett Awards Luncheon on June 15, 2016, at NACDA's 51st Annual Convention at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas. Chaves also won the honor in the 2012-13 school year, and was recognized that year in Orlando, Fla.

1. Chaves

2a. Mannausau

2b. Elliot

4. Porter

Anyone think there may have been other more qualified candidates who didn't make the final four in order for the committee to check a couple boxes and/or give Kennedy a wide variety of candidates rather than 4 sitting ADs who are all similar on paper?

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

1. Chaves

2a. Mannausau

2b. Elliot

4. Porter

Anyone think there may have been other more qualified candidates who didn't make the final four in order for the committee to check a couple boxes and/or give Kennedy a wide variety of candidates rather than 4 sitting ADs who are all similar on paper?

I'd probably agree with that ranking.

I think the on-campus interviews will make it more clear why each candidate was chosen. The committee did 12 interviews and selected the 4 finalists from that. I trust these ones definitely stood out in that process.

21 minutes ago, John W. said:

I feel Elliot and Chaves...jump out as front runners.....WMU guy....too long in static job....and UND guy...pleases the locals....but not impressed with his day to day AD type work...none!!!!

I think Elliot has a lot of upside.  Finance, Marketing and time at FSU and Stanford.  But how soon can we hire a new MBB coach.  I watched 5 minutes of last night game and threw up.

Ouch... This is the result of a stereotypical large committee of educators. They don't know how to research candidates for positions in athletics. Committee's like these also worry about the media (or message boards) and how things are going to look, vs who would do the best job. 

Chaves (Media quota)- fine. I get this one. He isn't being paid at EWU and doesn't feel he is aligned with President. Problem is, if he was really good, he would be able to get that alignment and make significant progress. Others in the Big Sky and certainly in the MVFC and Summit League have passed EWU by. Not many strong Division I AD's have come from Sports Information backgrounds. As I said, he might be fine, but certainly not a superstar candidate. 

Elliot (the female quota) - Red flag - The UTSA job was just open while she was the Deputy AD and didn't even get a sniff. UTSA hired the AD from Northern Arizona. So, the Northern Arizona AD is stronger than this candidate... no thanks. She may be in need of a job as the new UTSA AD may be planning on restructuring the department. 

Mannausau (the good ole boy quota)  - Internal candidate that, 1. has zero experience of 75% of what an AD actually does (only has the fund raising portion) and 2. is down the food chain in the current structure of the department. There is a Deputy and three associate AD's before you get to an Assistant AD. That internal investigation must have been really damaging.

Porter (the hockey quota) - uh, no. I happen to know someone in the WMU athletic department. Without being to disparaging, he isn't respected in his own department. Hockey reports to him and he is essentially a bean counter at WMU.

If this is the method UND must go through to select athletic personnel then the committee needs to do better. 

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I think Elliot has a lot of upside.  Finance, Marketing and time at FSU and Stanford.  But how soon can we hire a new MBB coach.  I watched 5 minutes of last night game and threw up.

If she is selected I'll put the over/under on her tenure as AD at UND at 4 years.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I'd probably agree with that ranking.

I think the on-campus interviews will make it more clear why each candidate was chosen. The committee did 12 interviews and selected the 4 finalists from that. I trust these ones definitely stood out in that process.

That's a bold statement in regards to any selection committee UND has thrown together over the past few years.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Under.

She is applying for her 8th job in 17 years.  All other positions she's held have been in sunshine states and climates, with the exception of Yale in 2011-2012.

California native, Stanford undergrad.

Wonder how she would like North Dakota winters and for how long.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

Ouch... This is the result of a stereotypical large committee of educators. They don't know how to research candidates for positions in athletics. Committee's like these also worry about the media (or message boards) and how things are going to look, vs who would do the best job. 

Did you even bother to look who was on the commitee? It isn't even close to a "committee of educators".

•         Tom DiLorenzo, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
  •         Darcy Deutsch Cascaes, Women’s Basketball Letterwinner 1990-1993 and Women’s Basketball Assistant Coach 1995-1999
  •         Jill Cholewa, Entrepreneur, Volleyball Letterwinner and Chair of of the Women’s Athletic Leadership Council
  •         Dick Clay, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Coach
  •         Scott Guldseth, practicing psychologist in the Twin Cities and all-time leading scorer in Men’s Basketball
  •         Lindsay Hathaway, President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee student-athlete, Softball
  •         Jody Hodgson, General Manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena
  •         Sue Jeno, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Faculty Athletics Representative
  •         Peter Johnson, Interim Vice President for University & Public Affairs
  •         Kim Kenville, Professor of Aviation, Aerospace Graduate Programs Director, and Chair of the University Senate Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
  •         Erik Martinson, Assistant Athletics Director for Operations
  •         Tanner Rosendahl, Digital Marketing Manager
  •         Karla Stewart, Associate Vice President for Finance
  •         Reid Taubenheim, Vice President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee and student-athlete, Football
  •         Drew Wrigley, Senior Management Advisor for Sanford Health Systems, UND alum, and former Lieutenant Governor
  •         DeAnna Carlson Zink, CEO, UND Alumni Association & Foundation
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Did you even bother to look who was on the commitee? It isn't even close to a "committee of educators".

•         Tom DiLorenzo, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
  •         Darcy Deutsch Cascaes, Women’s Basketball Letterwinner 1990-1993 and Women’s Basketball Assistant Coach 1995-1999
  •         Jill Cholewa, Entrepreneur, Volleyball Letterwinner and Chair of of the Women’s Athletic Leadership Council
  •         Dick Clay, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Coach
  •         Scott Guldseth, practicing psychologist in the Twin Cities and all-time leading scorer in Men’s Basketball
  •         Lindsay Hathaway, President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee student-athlete, Softball
  •         Jody Hodgson, General Manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena
  •         Sue Jeno, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Faculty Athletics Representative
  •         Peter Johnson, Interim Vice President for University & Public Affairs
  •         Kim Kenville, Professor of Aviation, Aerospace Graduate Programs Director, and Chair of the University Senate Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
  •         Erik Martinson, Assistant Athletics Director for Operations
  •         Tanner Rosendahl, Digital Marketing Manager
  •         Karla Stewart, Associate Vice President for Finance
  •         Reid Taubenheim, Vice President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee and student-athlete, Football
  •         Drew Wrigley, Senior Management Advisor for Sanford Health Systems, UND alum, and former Lieutenant Governor
  •         DeAnna Carlson Zink, CEO, UND Alumni Association & Foundation

I would say that this list of committee members is quite impressive!!