SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Let the dating process begin!!

For some, not Faison will be enough.

Others, maybe even a majority, probably need Mike elevated. 

A few will sit out or not give as much without Mike in the lead. 

These are the realities.

Perhaps true, but I sure hope the supporters of UND can look past homegrown leadership, just like the nickname, and actually focus on the program and student-athletes. 

I'd hate for there to be a deficiency just because some can't look past their personal egos. Those realities are ultimately harsh and damning to UND athletics. Only the elevation of MM will lead to optimism(?) - very narrow focus that is appalling. 

I know plenty with deep pockets that stopped writing checks because of the lack of humility and gratitude within the department with Faison. The small communities of this state oftentimes have more money than the large ones (reality of agriculture and oil); if leadership can't figure that out here in the state of North Dakota, than the University of North Dakota will always be fighting a uphill battle against NDSU. 

Faison was "too good" for the state of North Dakota, and especially the small communities within it and Minnesota.

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I know plenty with deep pockets that stopped writing checks because of the lack of humility and gratitude within the department with Faison. The small communities of this state oftentimes have more money than the large ones (reality of agriculture and oil); if leadership can't figure that out here in the state of North Dakota, than the University of North Dakota will always be fighting a uphill battle against NDSU. 

Faison was "too good" for the state of North Dakota, and especially the small communities within it and Minnesota.

Ok, agreed....

So will you retract this part then?:

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MM has been here all along; not sure why people think bumping him to AD would suddenly increase fundraising for football and basketball ...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Ok, agreed....

So will you retract this part then?:

No, my post was aimed at the impulsivity and narrow-mindedness of some donors. 

MM could very well do what I mentioned but my point was based on impulsivity. Donors should not be acting on a single move such as naming someone AD. Let the guy prove himself. 

If MM was named AD and did the things I mentioned than that would be great, but how are we all so sure Chaves won't do those things also? He had to work in Cheney, Wash.( small community)  amongst many DI institutions and did quite well from a results standpoint. 

I wont retract my statement because I don't believe people should *suddenly* donate based on a single move. That was my point. That shows narrow mindedness at its best and that's what UND can't afford to have at this time. Whomever the AD is (and it will be Chaves), they need to be a "DOer" and actuate, not follow or coast along (as some believe Faison did). If Chaves can do that, he'll produce a bump in donations that is worth his actions.

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, my post was aimed at the impulsivity and narrow-mindedness of some donors. 

MM could very well do what I mentioned but my point was based on impulsivity. Donors should not be acting on a single move such as naming someone AD. Let the guy prove himself. 

If MM was named AD and did the things I mentioned than that would be great, but how are we all so sure Chaves won't do those things also? He had to work in Cheney, Wash.( small community)  amongst many DI institutions and did quite well from a results standpoint. 

I wont retract my statement because I don't believe people should *suddenly* donate based on a single move. That was my point. That shows narrow mindedness at its best and that's what UND can't afford to have at this time. Whomever the AD is (and it will be Chaves), they need to be a "DOer" and actuate, not follow or coast along (as some believe Faison did). If Chaves can do that, he'll produce a bump in donations that is worth his actions.

It doesnt matter what you or I think about your perceived "impulsivity" of donors.  It's not your money to give, it's theirs. They do what they want with it on their own terms.

We agree that the face of the department can make a difference in whether or not a donor gives money.

Your original post questioned why MM would make a difference in that regard. We have concluded that it could be the difference for many.

15 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

It doesnt matter what you or I think about your perceived "impulsivity" of donors.  It's not your money to give, it's theirs. They do what they want with it on their own terms.

We agree that the face of the department can make a difference in whether or not a donor gives money.

Your original post questioned why MM would make a difference in that regard. We have concluded that it could be the difference for many.

- if he did the work 

You misread my bottomline. I think the next AD needs to be more visible in the small communities of ND and MN. That goes well beyond the "face of the department", that is the ability of the department. 

UND is far bigger than MM or Bill Chaves; donors want a UND that cares to make a difference and is visible in doing that. MM could do this but not merely at face value. 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

- if he did the work 

You misread my bottomline. I think the next AD needs to be more visible in the small communities of ND and MN. That goes well beyond the "face of the department", that is the ability of the department. 

UND is far bigger than MM or Bill Chaves; donors want a UND that cares to make a difference and is visible in doing that. MM could do this but not merely at face value. 

I didnt misread anything. The context of your argument evolved since I first quoted your post.

• Upvote 1

I know quite a few major donors and have a few observations:

--  While they really like Mike and most like a UND pedigree, they didn't think Mike was ready for this job.  Most think Mike will make a good AD someday in the future.

--  I think most are apt to give more with the assumption that Chaves will be more hands-on, personable, etc. than Faison.

--  With the optimism that Chaves may bring to the department, coaches, community, fans, etc., the number of donors will likely increase.

I have told Kennedy and DeAnna Carlson Zink that I expect a 20% increase in donations after the first year of a new AD being in position.  That may be a little optimistic - I hope not!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I know a lot of major donors and have a few observations:

--  While they really like Mike and most like a UND pedigree, they didn't think Mike was ready for this job.  Most think Mike will make a good AD someday in the future.

--  I think most are apt to give more with the assumption that Chaves will be more hands-on, personable, etc. than Faison.

--  With the optimism that Chaves may bring to the department, coaches, community, fans, etc., the number of donors will likely increase.

I have told Kennedy and DeAnna Carlson Zink that I expect a 20% increase in donations after the first year of a new AD being in position.  That may be a little optimistic - I hope not!

All fair points.

I would like to add that I personally know many prominent donors who love Mike and felt like he was ready for a chance at the job.

42 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

All fair points.

I would like to add that I personally know many prominent donors who love Mike and felt like he was ready for a chance at the job.

...........there are two sides to every coin.

.....at this point in time with the four finalists available the right choice was made. I talked to someone last night at the Ralph with deep ties to the athletic department that was in total agreement on the hire. He also said Mike, at some point, could be a very fine AD. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Debatable? Not really.......Buning was a trainwreck and BF was marginally better. Just a 3 car pile up.

Chaves might not be "Mike" to some in the UND network but Bill will be better than our previous two ADs... guaranteed.

I also remember when Faison was hired some on here thought he'd be great because of his New Mexico connections.   Nothing ever came of that either.   I'm going to reserve judgment until Chaves is on the ground for a while.   Just not sure what to make of him.   

2 minutes ago, TRex said:

I also remember when Faison was hired some on here thought he'd be great because of his New Mexico connections.   Nothing ever came of that either.   I'm going to reserve judgment until Chaves is on the ground for a while.   Just not sure what to make of him.   

I dug through the archives recently on that topic as well.  

Opinions probably changed by many.

To be fair, I think this hire is much, much better. I hope it is.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

All fair points.

I know there were MM supporters.  Mike is a good friend of mine and I think he will be a good AD someday! 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I am one of the major donors and lots of my friends are. We believe chaves is the right choice. 

Mm will get it when chaves moves up to a G5 school

Hopping on the bandwagon after Morton didn't even make the finalists? 

• Upvote 1

I stopped giving to UND after a non-athletic program that changed my life was cut. The people responsible for that are now gone but I don't have an educational program to donate to anymore. 

The hiring of Chaves has given me the desire to resume donations and send them to the athletic department. I doubt I'm alone in wanting to give him the funding necessary to do great things.  If MM gets elevated by Chaves, those donations will increase further. 

Faison did a lot to progress a majority of UND sports and I'm glad he was our AD. All of my interactions with him were great. I know he will be missed by many of his employees. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Deanna Carlson-Zink, Steve Brekke,  MM, and Valerie Sussex have in their job descriptions to raise money for the athletic department.  An AD should only be an auxiliary help.

Agree to a degree but a good AD:

--  knows who the larger donors are

--  acknowledges donors/supporters when he is in the same room with them or meets them on the street

--  accompanies the above folks once in awhile when they meet with donors (whether it means a trip to Bismarck or for a lunch in GF)

• Upvote 1