SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

2 minutes ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

While I'm not sure I agree fully with this post, if your premise is that you want someone to do legwork, that is the reason you hire a headhunter. They make contact with people asking and trying to convince candidates to get interested in the position. I wish we could see the full list of people who had an interest. That would allow us a better indication of where any darts should be thrown. 

My personal belief is that darts should be thrown at Kennedy, if he didn't give the committee proper charge on what he was looking for in an AD; and more so, the committee for forwarding only one person who is ready to be an AD. They obviously categorized the candidates for diversity's sake and sent the top in each category (Top woman, top associate AD, Tod internal candidate, Top current AD) . It's just too bad the state of ND, and the educational system results in large committee's.

Having said all that, Chaves is an excellent candidate and should be hired. Blind squirrel found an acorn, or the process worked?

To point 1..............................this would have been very insightful.

To point 2..............................you're spot on. We are so PC hijacked as a society that the committee couldn't bring forth the 4 "best" candidates. 

To point 3..............................of the 4 this is a no-brainer.

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To point 1..............................this would have been very insightful.

To point 2..............................you're spot on. We are so PC hijacked as a society that the committee couldn't bring forth the 4 "best" candidates. 

To point 3..............................of the 4 this is a no-brainer.

It is what it is... back to my original post: someone in a paid or appointed position should have had the brains and gonadal fortitude to do this. Yup, Committee could have picked the top in each category....

#1 true, #2 true, #3 hard to say without knowing #1.  I think CC and MM have strengths and potential. Yes, there are UND grads who could do this but I do not know any names.... when will this decision be made? What happens if the first choice decides he/she doesn’t want it?

1 hour ago, montanakid said:

My rankings

1. Re-open the position
2. Mannausau
3. Chaves
4. Porter

5. Elliott - shouldn't even made the final pool - the stuff she listed that she accomplish was inaccurate.

The real mistake, Kelley extending Faison contract, next Kennedy not letting Faison go in the April 2017 , waited until April 2018 to get a better pool.

Or better yet - don't hire a headhunter, get on the phone and do some leg work.  There are several former UND graduates that are current AD's at other DI/DII schools that could come in and do a fantastic job and with North Dakota Pride.

President Kennedy needs to be the next guy to be sent down the road.

You should have added 6. Go back to Division II. It makes about as much sense as the rest of your post. #noneatall

I have been on hiring committees before where we needed to send 3 finalists to the director for final approval. 

We had multiple candidates who were clearly second tier that we didn't think should be hired. One candidate was clearly the best. We chose to send that top candidate, one under qualified internal candidate and one third tier candidate. 

We knew the leader would see the top candidate as the best and he did. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I have been on hiring committees before where we needed to send 3 finalists to the director for final approval. 

We had multiple candidates who were clearly second tier that we didn't think should be hired. One candidate was clearly the best. We chose to send that top candidate, one under qualified internal candidate and one third tier candidate. 

We knew the leader would see the top candidate as the best and he did. 

Fair point but I don't think they bother sending one more than they were required (4 vs. 3) if that is what they were after. Regardless, I still think it is pretty obvious in this situation who the best all-around candidate is. 

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Fair point but I don't think they bother sending one more than they were required (4 vs. 3) if that is what they were after. Regardless, I still think it is pretty obvious in this situation who the best all-around candidate is. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if they sent three lower tier candidates intentionally. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I just wouldn't be surprised if they sent three lower tier candidates intentionally. 

Dangerous game to play in the event the top candidate were to pull out for some reason, especially with him not having been on campus yet. I don't doubt that it happens, but I think in this instance there were quite a few other ones to put through if they were trying to make one person stand out (though that happened regardless).

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Dangerous game to play in the event the top candidate were to pull out for some reason, especially with him not having been on campus yet. I don't doubt that it happens, but I think in this instance there were quite a few other ones to put through if they were trying to make one person stand out (though that happened regardless).

I don't think the person making the decision has to choose from the three or four finalists if they aren't satisfied with them.  I would guess if the decision maker were not happy with the finalists (or the top candidate withdrew in the scenario your referring to), they could choose to open it back up?  

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I don't think the person making the decision has to choose from the three or four finalists if they aren't satisfied with them.  I would guess if the decision maker were not happy with the finalists (or the top candidate withdrew in the scenario your referring to), they could choose to open it back up?  

Could you imagine how much pissing and moaning there would be if that happened? I would invest in the popcorn market.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

That's true but....

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Could you imagine how much pissing and moaning there would be if that happened? I would invest in the popcorn market.

......it would be a train wreck of epic proportions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

That's true but....

......it would be a train wreck of epic proportions.

So then you find a way to let your "top candidate/guy you want" know that he's the top candidate, before forwarding the finalists.  I know there' s "open record" laws...but I'd imagine there are ways around this.  I guess "your guy" could still back out after that, then you would have the "train wreck" your describing.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

While I'm not sure I agree fully with this post, if your premise is that you want someone to do legwork, that is the reason you hire a headhunter. They make contact with people asking and trying to convince candidates to get interested in the position. I wish we could see the full list of people who had an interest. That would allow us a better indication of where any darts should be thrown. 

My personal belief is that darts should be thrown at Kennedy, if he didn't give the committee proper charge on what he was looking for in an AD; and more so, the committee for forwarding only one person who is ready to be an AD. They obviously categorized the candidates for diversity's sake and sent the top in each category (Top woman, top associate AD, Tod internal candidate, Top current AD) . It's just too bad the state of ND, and the educational system results in large committee's.

Having said all that, Chaves is an excellent candidate and should be hired. Blind squirrel found an acorn, or the process worked?

Your category theory is wholly inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

So it appears as though no announcement will be made today.  Anyone know when we might expect an announcement?

From a source, the committee gives feedback to Kennedy today. Kennedy sleeps on it and negotiates with a candidate tomorrow through Sunday. Hope is to have candidate on a plane Sunday night for a Monday press conference, or at least an announcement.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

I guarantee you that if all three guys were to somehow withdraw or be disqualified and Elliot was the only one left and they decided to reopen the search, there would be one hell of a lawsuit for gender discrimination.    Opening it back up is never a good thing.     

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crb1 said:

My guess it is between Porter and Chaves with Chaves being the one.
However my dark horse is Mike Mannausau.

Pfft...that's not a dark horse. A dark horse would be an out-of-the-blue candidate. I'm going with one of the Lamoureux's for an upset and a return of women's hockey with an increased budget to accommodate their new European-Olympian-Only recruiting strategy. One of the twins will be named head coach with the same contract as Berry. 3 more buildings destroyed, 4 majors/2 more sports cut to make it all work. 3:-)

• Upvote 1