SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

9 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

This could be a good move. He is relatively young so get him the necessary experience because IMO I think he could be a great AD one day.

I would agree although the best way to learn is by doing it! This Chevy Chase seems like a good candidate....I don’t know Kennedy’s experience in the athletic Dept. but a reputable person posted the need for an experience AD. I just liked that video and I felt CC appeared to be trustworthy and able to settle conflicts ( which would is huge).

GO SIOUX!

I haven't spent as much time as I should to make a real good opinion, but my inclination would be for Chaves to be the man for the job, elevate MM within the department as kind of an AD in waiting type, and give Chaves the ball and let MM learn more in different areas of the department.  I don't know as much as others about MM, but most that are connected have a very high opinion of him, but I just don't think he's ready.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

How long have you known Chaves?  Buds that go way back.......or just going off a resume and 1 interview? Right, thought so.

Should I apologize cause I said some good things about a person I have know since '93?  I don't think that makes things cloudy, actually makes things perfectly clear on who 1 person is while not having that luxury with the others.

There is a known commodity verses some resumes and interviews and some awards that are really based on the coaching success at your school.  I could see Chaves, Mannausau, or Porter in the position and I think it's a 3 man race.  Their successes or failures will be known in the coming years.

We just look at this differently based on our backgrounds.  I don't need my judgment questioned by you - that's for sure.

I preach the same as Gundy stated above when doing hiring in my company.  I put a lot more stock into previous experience with a person and seeing them work.  Thousands of hours of working with someone or witnessing their work play out are much better predictors than a 1-3 hour interview.  It's easy to fool someone for an hour but you can't do that over time. 

It's just as telling if you don't like about your experience with a person.

I'm a Mike guy based on limited personal interactions but more so based on watching how he goes about his business and how successful he has been while doing it.

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I preach the same as Gundy stated above when doing hiring in my company.  I put a lot more stock into previous experience with a person and seeing them work.  Thousands of hours of working with someone or witnessing their work play out are much better predictors than a 1-3 hour interview.  It's easy to fool someone for an hour but you can't do that over time. 

It's just as telling if you don't like about your experience with a person.

I'm a Mike guy based on limited personal interactions but more so based on watching how he goes about his business and how successful he has been while doing it.

You can't work directly with everybody. History is most important, including history that you don't directly witness. Chaves wins with history. Potential only takes you so far.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You can't work directly with everybody. History is most important, including history that you don't directly witness. Chaves wins with history. Potential only takes you so far.

Can't witness everybody but if you like your known commodity candidate - make a move.   The grass isn't always greener - see Bunning.

So, MM is just a no . . .

WMU guy doesn't seem to move the needle.

Chaves was just on WDAZ with one of the most ridiculously poor fitting suits that I can remember. Just ruined it for me.

So . . . It has got to be the lady from UTSA, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeyjr said:

So, MM is just a no . . .

WMU guy doesn't seem to move the needle.

Chaves was just on WDAZ with one of the most ridiculously poor fitting suits that I can remember. Just ruined it for me.

So . . . It has got to be the lady from UTSA, right?

tenor.gif

My rankings

1. Re-open the position
2. Mannausau
3. Chaves
4. Porter

5. Elliott - shouldn't even made the final pool - the stuff she listed that she accomplish was inaccurate.

The real mistake, Kelley extending Faison contract, next Kennedy not letting Faison go in the April 2017 , waited until April 2018 to get a better pool.

Or better yet - don't hire a headhunter, get on the phone and do some leg work.  There are several former UND graduates that are current AD's at other DI/DII schools that could come in and do a fantastic job and with North Dakota Pride.

President Kennedy needs to be the next guy to be sent down the road.

• Downvote 9

9 minutes ago, montanakid said:

My rankings

1. Re-open the position
2. Mannausau
3. Chaves
4. Porter

5. Elliott - shouldn't even made the final pool - the stuff she listed that she accomplish was inaccurate.

The real mistake, Kelley extending Faison contract, next Kennedy not letting Faison go in the April 2017 , waited until April 2018 to get a better pool.

Or better yet - don't hire a headhunter, get on the phone and do some leg work.  There are several former UND graduates that are current AD's at other DI/DII schools that could come in and do a fantastic job and with North Dakota Pride.

President Kennedy needs to be the next guy to be sent down the road.

While I'm not sure I agree fully with this post, if your premise is that you want someone to do legwork, that is the reason you hire a headhunter. They make contact with people asking and trying to convince candidates to get interested in the position. I wish we could see the full list of people who had an interest. That would allow us a better indication of where any darts should be thrown. 

My personal belief is that darts should be thrown at Kennedy, if he didn't give the committee proper charge on what he was looking for in an AD; and more so, the committee for forwarding only one person who is ready to be an AD. They obviously categorized the candidates for diversity's sake and sent the top in each category (Top woman, top associate AD, Tod internal candidate, Top current AD) . It's just too bad the state of ND, and the educational system results in large committee's.

Having said all that, Chaves is an excellent candidate and should be hired. Blind squirrel found an acorn, or the process worked?