SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

Leader in the clubhouse.........Chevy Chase 

then....WMU guy

....Mike

....Job Jumper

Hopefully the committee will narrow it down to just 2 finalists................but then at a later date decide to go to 3 finalists. 

11 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I am not understanding the man crush on Chaves.  I listened to about half, seems good with a slight bit of heard it before. 

Man crush is a bit much, I think. His "having done this before and currently doing this" is certainly a plus. I think Chaves' values and individual thinking is well demonstrated and impressive in that video I posted. Most importantly, though, is that he is the only standing athletic director of the finalists and he has done very well at that position. Furthermore, he's familiar and apparently good at running a department at the FCS level. He's a two-time national athletic director of the year honors recipient.

The other candidates just don't compare. I think Mannausau could keep UND at the status quo, but what has he done that suggests he could elevate football and basketball? I don't think he could meet lofty expectations (nor set high expectations beyond hockey only) and Chaves could do that purely through experience. Chaves also has the outside connections that "a UND guy" wouldn't consider or consult towards. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

So is the committee meeting this morning or did the storm shut it down?

So according to this article:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4386220-eastern-washingtons-bill-chaves-last-finalist-interview-unds-athletic-director-post 

the committee is meeting Friday.  Not sure if it's due to the blizzard or if that was the plan all along.

The UND AD search committee will now meet Friday morning to discuss the finalists in an effort to provide recommendations to President Mark Kennedy, who will ultimately make a decision

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

So according to this article:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4386220-eastern-washingtons-bill-chaves-last-finalist-interview-unds-athletic-director-post 

the committee is meeting Friday.  Not sure if it's due to the blizzard or if that was the plan all along.

Again.......SIXTEEN committee members to make a recommendation.  I can't even image the s**t show that is going to be.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Me thinks a personal connection with Mike is clouding the picture for you.  

How long have you known Chaves?  Buds that go way back.......or just going off a resume and 1 interview? Right, thought so.

Should I apologize cause I said some good things about a person I have know since '93?  I don't think that makes things cloudy, actually makes things perfectly clear on who 1 person is while not having that luxury with the others.

There is a known commodity verses some resumes and interviews and some awards that are really based on the coaching success at your school.  I could see Chaves, Mannausau, or Porter in the position and I think it's a 3 man race.  Their successes or failures will be known in the coming years.

We just look at this differently based on our backgrounds.  I don't need my judgment questioned by you - that's for sure.

50 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

How long have you known Chaves?  Buds that go way back.......or just going off a resume and 1 interview? Right, thought so.

Should I apologize cause I said some good things about a person I have know since '93?  I don't think that makes things cloudy, actually makes things perfectly clear on who 1 person is while not having that luxury with the others.

There is a known commodity verses some resumes and interviews and some awards that are really based on the coaching success at your school.  I could see Chaves, Mannausau, or Porter in the position and I think it's a 3 man race.  Their successes or failures will be known in the coming years.

We just look at this differently based on our backgrounds.  I don't need my judgment questioned by you - that's for sure.

No apology sought or necessary. This kind of loyalty and thoughtfulness is why the football alumni are my favorite posters here.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I trust Mike 100%. Can’t say the same for the others. Is that worth more than experience as an AD?

• Upvote 2