SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some people don't like it that the WMU guy has been there too long.

Others complain that Elliot hasn't been at one job long enough.

Obviously, you can't have it both ways.

So do we look for someone in the middle of the spectrum?

I'd take someone who has stayed the course (WMU guy) vs. someone who is looking for greener pastures at every turn (Elliot) any day of the week.  Elliot will be a train wreck and a short termer if she's the one chosen. There's a reason she is at UTSA and got bypassed for the AD spot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

She still isn't my top candidate but she has plenty of experience in the budget portion of her previous jobs along with overseeing quite a few people in her previous jobs.

I get (one of) the reasons people don't like her is the amount of jobs she's had. She addressed that by pointing out a handful were term jobs (2 Olympic appointments and some fundraising projects). Frankly, her experience is easily the most impressive of the 3 who have interviewed so far, which by no means makes her the best candidate but is probably the main difference she has. 

I guess you've made a reasonable argument for her. Now if she can commit to being at the Alerus for FB games and do push-ups like one of her predecessors I'm sold!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

She still isn't my top candidate but she has plenty of experience in the budget portion of her previous jobs along with overseeing quite a few people in her previous jobs.

I get (one of) the reasons people don't like her is the amount of jobs she's had. She addressed that by pointing out a handful were term jobs (2 Olympic appointments and some fundraising projects). Frankly, her experience is easily the most impressive of the 3 who have interviewed so far, which by no means makes her the best candidate but is probably the main difference she has. 

Also, she admits to being the type of person that if someone said she should take this or that job she would say "Sure."

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The new UTSA AD is formerly the AD at NAU.  Talk about embarrassing for Elliot.  She almost has to get a new job now.  NAU doesn t have fan support or an endowment, yet has double the enrollment of UND.

With that on record, who has the better track record as an AD: the former NAU guy (now at UTSA) or the guy at EWU? 

1 minute ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

Technically Chaves may be a lame duck as well. His contract expires in May of 2018 and has not been offered an extension, at least publicly.

From the EWU message board they would like to keep Chaves and let their President go.   I listened to the first few minutes of the video above and it sounds like Chaves and Kennedy had much the same views.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

EWU guy, and it's not close.

BTW, the article states that Chaves is making $120,000 and that amount has been quoted here. That was in 2013. He is making $178k now. 

Thanks for doing your homework on this.  I didn't think it was possible that he could only be making $120K. 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This guy is really quite impressive. Appears to bring so many qualities to the table (if not just energy and critical thought) that the UND AD chair has been missing the past 10 years:

Thanks for posting this.  He was my preference.  At watching this, he is absolutely my preference!

1 hour ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

EWU guy, and it's not close.

BTW, the article states that Chaves is making $120,000 and that amount has been quoted here. That was in 2013. He is making $178k now. 

If the salary difference isn't that big, it is more of a plus in my mind, meaning it is more about the opportunity and not necessarily just a pay raise.

The more I read his bio, the more encouraged I am about him.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

If the salary difference isn't that big, it is more of a plus in my mind, meaning it is more about the opportunity and not necessarily just a pay raise.

The more I read his bio, the more encouraged I am about him.

He looks impressive....ready to roll up his sleeves, had to follow after some B.B. mess so that is good experience.... jumped around a little bit the last stint is 7 or 8 years.

4 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Thanks for posting this.  He was my preference.  At watching this, he is absolutely my preference!

I am not understanding the man crush on Chaves.  I listened to about half, seems good with a slight bit of heard it before. 

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'd take someone who has stayed the course (WMU guy) vs. someone who is looking for greener pastures at every turn (Elliot) any day of the week.  Elliot will be a train wreck and a short termer if she's the one chosen. There's a reason she is at UTSA and got bypassed for the AD spot.

If she secured $30 million for a football stadium before she left, like she did at Stanford, would it be all that bad?

Not sayin she should be hired, but there is such a Chaves vs Mannausau discussion going on, there are reasons for each of these candidates to be finalists.