SiouxSports.com Forum

Coordinators & Position Coaches

bincitysioux

3 hours ago, BigGame said:

Usually you have a check to a specific pass play, most would have a run pass option but yes sometimes they are just run checks.  

Yes, that is how *most* pro style offenses do it around the country, but that's not what Rudolph is doing here at UND. Apparently someone didn't catch on ... whenever Keaton turns around to communicate to the back, its a run. The entire conference has caught onto that by now I'm sure. Very little flexibility in the offense. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/30/2017 at 11:25 PM, jdub27 said:

Playing maybe, but not starting and playing pretty much every down. Based on the pre-fall depth chart posted a few days ago, I don't think the redshirt freshman were planning on seeing a ton of snaps behind Stockwell and Bell other than some rotation. The silver lining is there are quite a few getting a taste now and are learning what it takes. 

image.png

Where did you get this Depth Chart? It is not accurate. Fiedler is a Jr at 250 lbs and he is a fraction of an inch under 6.6 from what I hear. Why then did they list him as 6.5 when he is closer to 6.6? 

13 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

Where did you get this Depth Chart? It is not accurate. Fiedler is a Jr at 250 lbs and he is a fraction of an inch under 6.6 from what I hear. Why then did they list him as 6.5 when he is closer to 6.6? 

It's the pre-fall depth chart.  They were hit and miss as to what they had updated for this......

5 hours ago, Finn flick said:

What? I don't understand as it is really off. Fiedler didn't lose weight or flunk but carries a 4.0. 

The depth chart is from August, around the beginning of fall camp (hence the term pre-fall).  Some of the information isn't updated (most of it is height and weight, but looks like Fiedler didn't get his year updated either).  I'm guessing if you were to look at Fiedler on the roster last year he would be listed as 6'5" and 235 pounds.  Same with most everyone - the height and weight would have been from last years roster.  Does that make more sense?

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Again making very broad reaching definitive statements. 

Nothing is ever absolute because teams can run a system but make any adjustment to it they feel beneficial but having a QB that could call any play would be the exception and not the norm.  Spread offenses run more of a adjustment based upon defensive alignment and don't really just call whatever play they want.  The run/pass option plays are more like running the old triple option than a QB calling plays on the field.  So those things are not at all the same as a QB walking to the line and calling whatever he wants.  

The QB's would also be coached to call certain plays based upon situation and alignment and if they called the wrong thing or made a bad check, don't you think the coaches should address it?  If they didn't I would be concerned.  

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

Nothing is ever absolute because teams can run a system but make any adjustment to it they feel beneficial but having a QB that could call any play would be the exception and not the norm.  Spread offenses run more of a adjustment based upon defensive alignment and don't really just call whatever play they want.  The run/pass option plays are more like running the old triple option than a QB calling plays on the field.  So those things are not at all the same as a QB walking to the line and calling whatever he wants.  

The QB's would also be coached to call certain plays based upon situation and alignment and if they called the wrong thing or made a bad check, don't you think the coaches should address it?  If they didn't I would be concerned.  

I’m aware of how spread teams operate. 

If they make a bad check they’ll obviously address it. But if a qb makes a check that results in a big play that the OC didn’t necessarily instruct him to do is that really a bad thing? I’m not a fan of micro management, it doesn’t work.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m aware of how spread teams operate. 

If they make a bad check they’ll obviously address it. But if a qb makes a check that results in a big play that the OC didn’t necessarily instruct him to do is that really a bad thing? I’m not a fan of micro management, it doesn’t work.

I don't disagree, but how do we know what play was addressed or if it even was?  Zim had some very good plays and was clearly playing with emotion but not every play was positive.  

5 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I don't disagree, but how do we know what play was addressed or if it even was?  Zim had some very good plays and was clearly playing with emotion but not every play was positive.  

You don’t know for sure. I don’t know for sure. But someone who told me knows someone who knows for sure. Plays were changed by Zimm, Rudy wasn’t happy. 

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You don’t know for sure. I don’t know for sure. But someone who told me knows someone who knows for sure. Plays were changed by Zimm, Rudy wasn’t happy. 

I can see why he wasn't happy - everybody knows that against 9 in the box our preferred method of attack is to pound our 185 pound running back.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Irish said:

I can see why he wasn't happy - everybody knows that against 9 in the box our preferred method of attack is to pound our 185 pound running back.

Maybe he was unhappy that the backup QB ran the ball and took some shots?  Knowing who had to play if he got himself hurt.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Doubtful, Rudy has made it clear he like Brad H at QB.

It's time for this narrative to go away. 

Brad clearly - and I mean CLEARLY - outplayed Zim in practice all season and immediately leading up to the Montana game. Every player I've spoken to agrees with this. Zim often didn't know what he was doing regarding pre snap reads and making the right choices during the plays in practice. Brad was the clear #2 QB based on the fact that he knew what he was doing and Zim often did not.

Based on that I don't think Rudy or Bubba were playing favorites. They chose the QB based on what they observed in practice. Once the first half vs. Montana was over it was clear that Zimmerman needed a shot and he took advantage of his playing time. 

This incompetent and stubborn theme that has become the narrative simply isn't true based on players I've talked to. 

Hey - don't shoot the messenger here... I'm not a Heidelbaugh apologist - it's obvious that Zimmerman should be the #2 - but based on what I've been told Brad earned the start in practice.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Plenty of random ideas are getting thrown around for the offense and its ineptitudes. Maybe folks should focus on the things that are a bit more objective, especially for those playing devil's advocate by only replying with unsubstantiated guesses. 

They are all guesses big guy, people on this board do not know what really went down.  I heard from a guy who knows isn't fact.  

49 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Brad clearly - and I mean CLEARLY - outplayed Zim in practice all season and immediately leading up to the Montana game. Every player I've spoken to agrees with this. Zim often didn't know what he was doing regarding pre snap reads and making the right choices during the plays in practice. Brad was the clear #2 QB based on the fact that he knew what he was doing and Zim often did not.

Based on that I don't think Rudy or Bubba were playing favorites. They chose the QB based on what they observed in practice. Once the first half vs. Montana was over it was clear that Zimmerman needed a shot and he took advantage of his playing time. 

This incompetent and stubborn theme that has become the narrative simply isn't true based on players I've talked to. 

Hey - don't shoot the messenger here... I'm not a Heidelbaugh apologist - it's obvious that Zimmerman should be the #2 - but based on what I've been told Brad earned the start in practice.

Really, the coaches actually played the guy who earned it is practice.  That is just shocking!   

17 hours ago, Hambone said:

The depth chart is from August, around the beginning of fall camp (hence the term pre-fall).  Some of the information isn't updated (most of it is height and weight, but looks like Fiedler didn't get his year updated either).  I'm guessing if you were to look at Fiedler on the roster last year he would be listed as 6'5" and 235 pounds.  Same with most everyone - the height and weight would have been from last years roster.  Does that make more sense?

Well, I guess as I don't recall when the 2017 Roster came out. New Roster lists him at 255 and that is a 20 lb. spread which is a lot. Don't you think? But thanks for the response. Go Hawks! 

14 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

You can spare me the lecture. I don't go to practices so I have not idea what goes on there but I do watch the games and what I saw was a night and day difference. Zim is clearly the better QB and Brad should not be playing that position. Did you watch the Montana game? Did you see his one pass against Weber last season? 

No, I am not incompetent, my opinion is based off what I saw in games and Brad H is not good. Since you are so cool maybe you should have let this board and the 50 other people ragging on Brad after the Montana game know that you had all this super secret information.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I've heard the exact same thing. The coaches went with the player who showed in he gave them the best chance to win, the back-up job was earned on the practice field and had zero to do with playing favorites. The staff then adjusted once they saw the in-game performance. No clue why there is such a huge disparity between practice and in-game between the players but the decision was made based on the information they had available to them.

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I've heard the exact same thing. The coaches went with the player who showed in he gave them the best chance to win, the back-up job was earned on the practice field and had zero to do with playing favorites. The staff then adjusted once they saw the in-game performance. No clue why there is such a huge disparity between practice and in-game between the players but the decision was made based on the information they had available to them.

Some guys really struggle with the speed of the game, and it picks up a lot in live game action over practice. 

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You are wrong.  All the guys on the team know who can game and who can't.  It was true when I played, and it's true today.

• Upvote 1

Have to remember that us fans usually are judging players and situations by what we see for a few hours on a saturday (or read on a forum).  I trust that BH won that backup position in practices, but when there seems to be such a huge difference in performance it certainly raises questions.  Football is an impossible game to figure out 100%, and that's what keeps it interesting.