SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

We all knew this team would win by committee, and that is what we have seen, win or lose--mostly win.   Hopefully, there's a Caggula or Frattin among them.  They played well in the third, so that says something. 

No guarantee they will turn the corner into a contender, but I'm gonna withhold judgment until I see more hockey.  They can play defense, and that could be a big deal, come March. 

Right now, my goal for them would be to win enough games to make the tourney and develop a team that can beat Denver in March. 

But I don't know half as much about hockey as most of the posters here (and that's no secret), so I'll just hold on and enjoy the ride. 

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Fair enough........then it goes back to UND has minimal offensive talent. Can't have it both ways..............UND generated very little 5x5 expect down the stretch when CC was playing not to give up a goal.

No they have talent. It’s line chemistry not there; they weren’t prepared, and most of all they played about as lazy as a team can  play the first two periods.  I’m not worried, they’ll be good this year.  Bubs has to find some line combos.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

No they have talent. It’s line chemistry not there; they weren’t prepared, and most of all they played about as lazy as a team can  play the first two periods.  I’m not worried, they’ll be good this year.  Bubs has to find some line combos.

I'd still like to see jones on the first line. Maybe JJ as the winger. I think jones is more skilled and obviously a hell of a lot faster than Rhett, so I think he'd be the better fit to compliment gersich. I'd even like to see JJ at righty with them just because of the speed aspect on fast breaks. Not like they'd be out much with losing pogo over there right now. 1st line needs to produce, 2nd or 3rd needs to wear and tear so put pogo there. 

The only good thing that happened last night was my wife winning a former CC Tiger player jersey at the game. I can’t wait to wear the Hunter Fejes jersey.....next week. Time to turn the page on last night’s game and come out hard and disciplined tonight and earn a split.

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Now.......I'll take a 5-2-1 record going into WI but that means a win tomorrow. 4-3-1 won't cut it.

This, a conference road split is fine. Like @Oxbow6 said though, tonight they need to win. This team does have offensive talent, I think right now it's up to the coaches to find combinations that work. This team has a lot going for it, a very, very good defense & goaltending will keep them in every game. When they find the line combinations, they'll win a lot of hockey games.

Coming into the year, I thought they'd be better than last year (4th in league & 10th overall). At this point, I'd double down on that. We all know what Johnson can do with a solid defense in front of him and he has it. I expect this team to have a #1 seed when it's all said and done. 

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If Smith isn't hurt he has to be in...but for whom???? 

Pogo-Rhett-Mismash

Gersich-Jones-Adams

JJ-Hoff-Bowen

Smith--Olson-Yon

Gersich -Jones- Mismash, Adams

Smith-Rhett-Pogo

Im stuck on the last 2. I like Yon and Bowen in there, but I don't think Rhett and Pogo are first liners right now.

15 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This team is really struggling to find scoring and any semblance of forward line chemistry.  Especially 5x5.  Painful to watch last night. 

Pogo is at best a grinder offensively. Rhett is a solid 3rd line center. No true playmaking center to play top line. Gersich is completely wasted playing with the 2 mentioned above IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Pogo is at best a grinder offensively. Rhett is a solid 3rd line center. No true playmaking center to play top line. Gersich is completely wasted playing with the 2 mentioned above IMO.

They played together last year when Jost was at WJCs and it didn’t work that well then so I’m not sure why we’ve been trying it again. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Pogo was 5th on the team in scoring last year with 25 points (12 G 13 A) as well as 5th as Sophomore with 25 points (10 G 15 A), he has offensive ability, he's just having an historically slow start. He'll find his way this year. 

38 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Man, I feel bad for Kawaguchi. He simply looks lost out there. 

He certainly does.  And I expected a lot from him from what I had read.  Maybe he'll be one of those who has a huge breakout sophomore season.  

Yeah...we're only seven games into the season so he's got a lot of time, but I expected more.

5 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

He certainly does.  And I expected a lot from him from what I had read.  Maybe he'll be one of those who has a huge breakout sophomore season.  

Yeah...we're only seven games into the season so he's got a lot of time, but I expected more.

I think we were all just too spoiled with Boeser and Jost since they both seemed ready right away

45 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think we were all just too spoiled with Boeser and Jost since they both seemed ready right away

I think if we look at the incomers, although it's early, this has been a pretty strong class as far as being ready to go as freshman. You can take out Jones who's a transfer, but he's been probably better than advertised. Adams / Mismash / Bast / Kierstad have all had strong starts to their careers. Maybe it has something to do with how the returners have started (more looking offensively, defensively the team has been great), but Adams / Mismash definitely don't look out of place and have been consistently in the top 6. Throw in Jones who does center the 2nd line with Mismash / Adams and overall you couldn't have asked for much more out of the 1st year players. Kawaguchi has seemed to be the one that's struggled with the step up in competition. but the others will get even stronger with the way they've started once they get more games under their belts. 

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

Gersich -Jones- Mismash, Adams

Smith-Rhett-Pogo

Im stuck on the last 2. I like Yon and Bowen in there, but I don't think Rhett and Pogo are first liners right now.

Not a bad idea.  Smith would make that line really heavy and tough to play against.  Nothing pretty, but a lock tight group to play against the Borgstroms and the Poehlings of the world. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not a bad idea.  Smith would make that line really heavy and tough to play against.  Nothing pretty, but a lock tight group to play against the Borgstroms and the Poehlings of the world. 

I like it too, I'd go with

Pogo - Gardner - Smith

Adams - Jones - Gersich

Mismash - Hoff - JJ

Olson - Bowen - XX

• Upvote 1

In Pryor's post game VB interview on Thursday, he said the ladies didn't care, didn't deserve to win, played like flying rats patoot, chose his words carefully to avoid saying those he was thinking. Think there must have been a virus in the ralph/betty this week, as the hockey team caught the same thing. We'll see if both teams are "well" tonight.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

I'd like to see
Gersich-Jones-Mismash
Smith-Gardner-Poganski
Yon-Bowen-Adams
Hoff-Simonson(when healthy)-Olson
Wolanin-Poolman
Shaw-Bast
Kiersted-Peski

Add Hoff as a left wing with Gardner and pogo. Kawaguchi needs in as well.  Has to play through his struggles.  Others looked worse than him last night.  Just because he was known as a high power offensive guy and he isn’t scoring, doesn’t mean he just sits.

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Add Hoff as a left wing with Gardner and pogo. Kawaguchi needs in as well.  Has to play through his struggles.  Others looked worse than him last night.  Just because he was known as a high power offensive guy and he isn’t scoring, doesn’t mean he just sits.

I wouldn’t mind a trial of Gersich-Adams-Gooch.  Three playmakers with a gritty center that can help break the puck out.