SiouxSports.com Forum

Strength and conditioning coach

MrMcnoingam69

Look at all the injuries this year; Keaton Studsrud, Deon Harris, Evan Holm, Kyle Norbert, Cole Reyes, Ray Hass, A.J. Stockwell, Luke Stanley, Donell Smith. This is ridiculous. Look at what happened last year as well. The strength coach thought the team needed more conditioning after their bye week, so they did 8 110's and 4 150's. So many people had back injuries after that !@#$. Same !@#$ again this year. He is pushing them too hard in season, wayyy to much heavy lifting going on. You need a mix of heavy lifting and recovery lifts. This is some bull$%!#, get me out there ill work em right. 

10 minutes ago, MrMcnoingam69 said:

Look at all the injuries this year; Keaton Studsrud, Deon Harris, Evan Holm, Kyle Norbert, Cole Reyes, Ray Hass, A.J. Stockwell, Luke Stanley, Donell Smith. This is ridiculous. Look at what happened last year as well. The strength coach thought the team needed more conditioning after their bye week, so they did 8 110's and 4 150's. So many people had back injuries after that !@#$. Same !@#$ again this year. He is pushing them too hard in season, wayyy to much heavy lifting going on. You need a mix of heavy lifting and recovery lifts. This is some bull$%!#, get me out there ill work em right. 

Who’s this donell Smith guy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMcnoingam69 said:

I've questioned this before only to be attacked by the ignorant Gods of this board. The dogma of "results don't matter at UND" but rather "it's just bad luck" continues to reign supreme. 

53 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I've questioned this before only to be attacked by the ignorant Gods of this board. The dogma of "results don't matter at UND" but rather "it's just bad luck" continues to reign supreme. 

There is more at work here than just “bad luck”, the number of injuries, sicknesses, suspensions and dismissals is absolutely crazy.

9 hours ago, Figure it out said:

Under the previous weight coach and the current, I witnessed several modest injuries (myself included) and numerous serious near misses due to poor technique and body types not suited for these Olympic lifts.

The Olympic lift obsession came from the 1990's D1 power houses in OH-MI-FL schools with top tier athletes and TOP tier weight COACHES.  Now that Olympic lifts have migrated to the laughable cross fit crowd, it's clear that the strength coach needs to reevaluate his program and its effectiveness.  Different position and body type athletes benefit most from a blend of Powerlifting, Olympic and Strongman.  

The team RECORD back squat on the wall was done by a Canadian D lineman trained in powerlifting.  He wore a full squat suit (which will add 50-100lbs to a max squat) due to its full body compression, a 6" belt for back protection and knee wraps for preventing knee injury.  

Before setting my position's record, I calmly asked the current "strength" coach if I could wear a belt and wrap my knees when going over 600 lbs for protection.  He yells back, "NOPE, NOT ON MY WATCH".  I then explained that the current record holder was allowed to wear a suit AND protective gear while this "coach" stared in the opposite direction.  Not wanting to suffer another injury, I began to wrap my knees.  This small man syndrome "coach" yells at the top of his lungs: "DISQUALIFIED".  

Bubba best get rid of these TRASH "coaches" around him or he won't be around long.  

I witnessed Schultz and his squatting.  It's true what you say.  The bar looked like a noodle.  I myself tweaked my back on a max power clean.  Although the training staff didn't believe in it, I had to see a chiropractor on my own dime just to straighten up the next few days.  During that time, I thought to myself, is this really necessary, getting hurt in the weight room?

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I witnessed Schultz and his squatting.  It's true what you say.  The bar looked like a noodle.  I myself tweaked my back on a max power clean.  Although the training staff didn't believe in it, I had to see a chiropractor on my own dime just to straighten up the next few days.  During that time, I thought to myself, is this really necessary, getting hurt in the weight room?

Poolman >>> Baukol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

It is sad to say, but with all of the injuries and now legitimate anecdotal comments from people who have been there about need for changes in the strength and conditioning program, I can almost picture Bubba with his fingers in his ears shouting LA LA LA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I have more issues with the training staff than the sc staff. I have low back/ hip issues which results in crippling psychic nerve pain. They had no idea how to realign things properly so I went to my own physical therapist who is one of the best around since she knew my body and actually could get things fixed relatively permanently. When I told them I went elsewhere for treatment they were not happy and said I needed to come to them for treatment. 

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

It is sad to say, but with all of the injuries and now legitimate anecdotal comments from people who have been there about need for changes in the strength and conditioning program, I can almost picture Bubba with his fingers in his ears shouting LA LA LA.

I personally had great results with Baukol. After my first year I had no back issues going forward. I don’t agree with him on absolutely everything by any means but he’s not the incompetent schmuck people say he is. SC is not an exact science and there are tons of schools of thought who all have studied backing them.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Strength and conditioning coach

People were asking the same questions in Fargo this fall when the Bison ran into a rash of injuries in a short time period, and their strength and conditioning program has consistently resulted in a great push on both sides of the ball.  

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

People were asking the same questions in Fargo this fall when the Bison ran into a rash of injuries in a short time period, and their strength and conditioning program has consistently resulted in a great push on both sides of the ball.  

Who are these people because I live in Fargo and practically everyone I'm associated with socially has NDSU FB season tickets and no one I know has made any reference to this?

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I personally had great results with Baukol. After my first year I had no back issues going forward. I don’t agree with him on absolutely everything by any means but he’s not the incompetent schmuck people say he is. SC is not an exact science and there are tons of schools of thought who all have studied backing them.

I'm sure his protocol works great for some - sounds like he is a one size fits all guy though.  My other point is about Bubba - I am not sure if I trust his ability to honestly evaluate things and make appropriate changes.  We have seen a strange stubbornness shown in our game planning this year.  Rudolph has been with us since the beginning, for example.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Who are these people because I live in Fargo and practically everyone I'm associated socially with has NDSU FB season tickets and no one I know has made any reference to this?

There were quite a few posts on bisonville. I know a few years back they had to re-evaluate the way they trained their female athletes because they had a string of ACLs. What's difficult with our team is that the injuries are all different. Reyes gets hit on his elbow from a teammate. That's not a sc issue. Rodgers gets his leg caught and twisted. Not a sc issue. Harris blows an achilles, could be a sc issue but tough to know. Larson's knee injury. He was a true fr so it's probably not a sc issue. If we had a ton of similar non-contact injuries or injuries that occur during training it would raise a red flag to me. 

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'm sure his protocol works great for some - sounds like he is a one size fits all guy though.  My other point is about Bubba - I am not sure if I trust his ability to honestly evaluate things and make appropriate changes.  We have seen a strange stubbornness shown in our game planning this year.  Rudolph has been with us since the beginning, for example.  

I can think of examples from all sorts of body types and positions who had great results in Baukol's program. Like I said earlier, I don't agree with him 100% on everything though. SC is kind of like politics, everyone has their own personal views.

The group that meets to discuss things like strength and conditioning and training do not all agree with the current strength and conditioning program. They have advocated change but thus far the s&c coach has refused any of the suggestions

14 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Even taking away the injuries, are our guys big enough/strong enough?  It seems as though every team we play is "bigger" than our players.  Part of that is recruiting the right player (size) and part of that is Strength and Conditioning I would think?

Alot of our OLBs are small because they are converted safeties. The true fr are all pretty skinny, can't blame them on that. Our DE's that aren't seniors or Cieslak are too thin. I think our body types at LB make our team look really small. We were alot bigger at that position a year ago and before the injuries. Rodger-240 Larson-230 Hunt-220 are LB body types. Rastas-190? Is still young but might not be a LB body type. Disterhaupt, Palmborg, and Turner are all safety body types. Lawrence is smallish for a LB. Baukol doesn't recruit or assign positions to guys, that's something to keep in mind. I also question the dedication to nutrition and training of some players just based on their lack of physical progression. 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Alot of our OLBs are small because they are converted safeties. The true fr are all pretty skinny, can't blame them on that. Our DE's that aren't seniors or Cieslak are too thin. I think our body types at LB make our team look really small. We were alot bigger at that position a year ago and before the injuries. Rodger-240 Larson-230 Hunt-220 are LB body types. Rastas-190? Is still young but might not be a LB body type. Disterhaupt, Palmborg, and Turner are all safety body types. Lawrence is smallish for a LB. Baukol doesn't recruit or assign positions to guys, that's something to keep in mind. I also question the dedication to nutrition and training of some players just based on their lack of physical progression. 

How about our OL?  Our WR?

30 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Even taking away the injuries, are our guys big enough/strong enough?  It seems as though every team we play is "bigger" than our players.  Part of that is recruiting the right player (size) and part of that is Strength and Conditioning I would think?

It's called the "Eyeball Test"

Just now, dmksioux said:

How about our OL?  Our WR?

If you're talking the RFR OL Mortel has put on 40lbs already. The older guys seem to have decent size, all around or over 300. I don't know if their lack of push in technique or strength. Toivonen, Mercer, and Stanley are all pretty big WRs. Wanzek put on 20 lbs and still looks skinny as hell. He'll probably put on another 30 before he's done here. Izzy, tr fr.