SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't recall any of Bubba's prior seasons having this many injuries; and, last year there really weren't all that many. 

I'm not sure how to measure "injuries", but, I suspect this season was what is called in statistics circles "a return to the mean" meaning we probably were below the long-term average for a couple years and this year it went markedly back above. 

Remember: the average isn't average; the average is the average of the highs and lows. 

All that said, what this year exposed first and foremost is a glaring lack of ability to cover an injury (meaning a real lack of depth). 

This year was a damn outlier.

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Devil's advocate here:
Isn't that initiative and hard work what we want?
Doesn't that initiative to work and develop move him up the depth chart. 

It did move him up didn't it?  I'm not complaining about Studsrud,  I am explaining why I support Rudolph moving on.  Studsrud should get credit for working his butt off and for his accomplishments.  I think he did all of that mostly on his own.  I don't think Rudolph was responsible.  I think I have exhausted most of my comments on this thread and at my age if I start repeating my self someone will send me to the nursing home.

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Good teams work around it, like whom?

I think there's a team up river from UND that seems to find a way.    We can't blame injuries, we just need to find a way to lessen them and the impact they have when they occur.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRex said:

I think there's a team up river from UND that seems to find a way.    We can't blame injuries, we just need to find a way to lessen them and the impact they have when they occur.

It’s the amount of injuries that was the problem it wasn’t one or 2 it was a lot on defense. NDSU has a couple guys banged up and it’s next guy up, our starter gets hurt and his backup gets hurt now you have a third stringer thrown into the fire. Maybe there is a major depth problem and Bubba needs to fix that. One of many things to address over the off-season .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, ibleedgreen said:

The best thing to ever happen to Minot State Football was for Rudy to be offered a job at UND....that sums it up. While NDSU and others are hiring DI coaches we are hiring an OC from Minot f#$king State....the rest of the staff are like the old creepy guy showing up to high school parties. They just never leave town to experience anything "bigger and better". Okay, I might be exaggerating just a bit but I'm just sick of all the excuses.

No, I bolded the statement about ALL of our players being D2 level. Answer that please.

2017 exposed the offense for what it was. 2016 the offense was gifted short fields and didn't have to win every game (turnovers, total defense, etc.). 3 and outs aren't completely devastating when your defense can get the ball right back. 2017 the defense was so injury riddled and played so poorly that that became impossible. Rudolph never adjusted. He lacked imagination last year, he lacked imagination this year. Throw in his questionable calls to offset his good calls and he is what he is, a mediocre OC that sticks to a game plan to a fault. 

20 minutes ago, Feff said:

2017 exposed the offense for what it was. 2016 the offense was gifted short fields and didn't have to win every game (turnovers, total defense, etc.). 3 and outs aren't completely devastating when your defense can get the ball right back. 2017 the defense was so injury riddled and played so poorly that that became impossible. Rudolph never adjusted. He lacked imagination last year, he lacked imagination this year. Throw in his questionable calls to offset his good calls and he is what he is, a mediocre OC that sticks to a game plan to a fault. 

The offense had to win a number of games in 2016.  USD and NAU come to mind right away. 

17 minutes ago, homer said:

The offense had to win a number of games in 2016.  USD and NAU come to mind right away. 

Yes, the offense had to win games but they were also assisted by the defense. For example, the tying points in the USD game were by the defense. 

The "lack of imagination" isn't what bothers me about Rudolph. It's the poor timing of his "imaginative" play calls along with his inability to capitalize on the strengths of his players. That has been consistent all 4 years he's been here. His issues and fans' complaints about him begin well before 2017.

• Upvote 2

I think Rudolph has become the scapegoat. Rudolph didn't coach or play defense, and the defense was defenseless this year. Injuries happen, but the guys that played who are also college football players who are also on scholarship, just simply did not get the job done this year. Its not Rudolph's job to control the line of scrimmage, keep contain, tackle and cover opposing receivers.

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I think Rudolph has become the scapegoat. Rudolph didn't coach or play defense, and the defense was defenseless this year. Injuries happen, but the guys that played who are also college football players who are also on scholarship, just simply did not get the job done this year. Its not Rudolph's job to control the line of scrimmage, keep contain, tackle and cover opposing receivers.

I'll agree that the defense was the difference this year. The defense went from "pretty good" to "really bad," while the offense went from "not good" to "bad." When it comes to reviewing the coaching staff, after 4 years I can see that the defense is capable of being good under this staff. The offense has shown no such potential under Rudy. 

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'll agree that the defense was the difference this year. The defense went from "pretty good" to "really bad," while the offense went from "not good" to "bad." When it comes to reviewing the coaching staff, after 4 years I can see that the defense is capable of being good under this staff. The offense has shown no such potential under Rudy. 

I think Rudolph's play-calling is reflective of the conservative nature of Bubba and himself combined. This staff needs to go back and watch film and copy what worked against us.The offense seemed more fluid against EWU; minus the turnovers, we win that game against a ranked opponent.We are not a smash mouth team...we are best when we stretch field and get guys the ball in space on offense.Bubba and Rudy need to adjust accordingly.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I agree with you. 

Let's keep this logical and linear:

Injuries + Poor Depth = Poor Play

The injuries were unfortunate, but they also occurred at positions that were ill-equipped to handle such loses. 

This season was a combination of bad luck and poor recruiting/depth. The scheme can also be questioned based on the poor play of the backups and inability of the offense to compensate (the offense had their starters available for most of the season). 

If you are one who thinks the coaches had nothing to do with this horrible season for UND, then you're clueless. The depth was horrid in some spots and Bubba has had  4 recruiting classes (2014,2015, 2016, 2017) to address that. It doesn't take 5+ seasons to correct depth unless you are horribly incompetent at talent evaluation and recruiting; hence my concerns with this staff. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you. 

The injuries were unfortunate, but they also occurred at positions that were ill-equipped to handle such loses. 

This season was a combination of bad luck and poor recruiting/depth. 

If you are one who thinks the coaches had nothing to do with this horrible season for UND, then you're clueless. The depth was horrid in some spots and Bubba has had  4 recruiting classes (2014,2015, 2016, 2017) to address that. It doesn't take 5+ seasons to correct depth unless you are horribly incompetent; hence my concerns with this staff. 

No,there is nothing clueless about me, sorry but nice try. I've said in previous posts that I think the coaches and players share equally in this disaster of a season. Coaches should have players prepared and in the right position to be successful while players should come prepared physically and mentally ready to play. UND failed to consistently accomplish all of the above this season on a consistent basis. I have also said the coaches are teaching flawed technique, especially on defense. Go back and read my previous post. I am in no way letting coaches off the hook. No am I letting players off the hook. Its a player's job to make coaches look smarter than they are. Its the coaches job to create the opportunity for that to happen.

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you. 

This season was a combination of bad luck and poor recruiting/depth. The scheme can also be questioned based on the poor play of the backups and inability of the offense to compensate (the offense had their starters available for most of the season). 

If you are one who thinks the coaches had nothing to do with this horrible season for UND, then you're clueless. The depth was horrid in some spots and Bubba has had  4 recruiting classes (2014,2015, 2016, 2017) to address that. It doesn't take 5+ seasons to correct depth unless you are horribly incompetent at talent evaluation and recruiting; hence my concerns with this staff. 

Your assumption that every recruit in every class is going to be a contributor is a pretty bold assumption.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, homer said:

Your assumption that every recruit in every class is going to be a contributor is a pretty bold assumption.  

To further expand on your statement. Players will or should contribute at different levels. But the coaches should prepare each kid they recruit to contribute somehow to overall team success. Now, its the expectation that the player will make themselves available and ready to contribute through hard work and in our case to avoid suspensions or off the field foolishness. Every kid is not going to be an All-American. But, they should be productive if on the roster.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

No,there is nothing clueless about me, sorry but nice try. I've said in previous posts that I think the coaches and players share equally in this disaster of a season. Coaches should have players prepared and in the right position to be successful while players should come prepared physically and mentally ready to play. UND failed to consistently accomplish all of the above this season on a consistent basis. I have also said the coaches are teaching flawed technique, especially on defense. Go back and read my previous post. I am in no way letting coaches off the hook. No am I letting players off the hook. Its a player's job to make coaches look smarter than they are. Its the coaches job to create the opportunity for that to happen.

@Old School Guy,

please read comprehensively before replying and assuming an argumentative stance. 

I agreed with you, as I prefaced my comment. 

The statement "If you ..." was hypothetical and not directed at you. I could have worded that differently. 

I believe the shortcomings of the defense ARE in fact everybit as concerning as Rudolph and his playcalling, scheming, and player evaluations. In fact, Bubba wants UND to have an identity of good aggressive defense and ball-control (i.e. boring but safe) offense. 

The defense lapsed because of the injuries AND the players behind the injured; they didn't play well. Many of those players that did not play well in 2017 will never play well for UND in the future; this is the concern. Bubba and his staff had produced insufficient defensive depth for the 2017 campaign and it cost the team this season. 

48 minutes ago, homer said:

I did not assume that. 

It's quite evident, though, that the good teams around the country have a higher percentage of contributors in their classes than the poor teams. That is, well, the foundation of college football: recruiting. In terms of LB and corner, for example, Bubba has done poor recruiting and with attrition. The disaster at those two positions completely derailed this season.