SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Sales Tax Vote

moser53

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Cities that already tax their citizens into oblivion and realize you can only raise the sales tax so far.

In your opinion what is the "fairest" tax on "their citizens"?  Just curious on your thoughts.

Mayor Brown: The longest running mayor (16+ years) in GF to do so little.

No 42nd Overpass. No new interstate ramps. No new bridge connecting to Minnesota.

He did help the position of Grand Forks Mayor become a part time job though. 

"A full-time mayor, I don't think the city needs that," Brown said.

Yeah cause leading an organization of hundreds of employees can be done with a few texts in-between baby deliveries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

In your opinion what is the "fairest" tax on "their citizens"?  Just curious on your thoughts.

Keeping sales tax < 7% is a good start. Impose/increase $3/night lodging and $3/day rental car taxes to minimize impact on locals.  Establish a new $50 fine for driving under the speed limit in the left lane on Columbia.

26 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Keeping sales tax < 7% is a good start. Impose/increase $3/night lodging and $3/day rental car taxes to minimize impact on locals.  Establish a new $50 fine for driving under the speed limit in the left lane on Columbia.

But again I ask how that will translate dollars wise? In a city of GF's size........not much and definitely not much as compared to a sales tax increase.

To your last point.......brilliant!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I know Interstates have a minimum of 40 mph. We could have a minimum for our streets.

Don't forget to put the asterisk so you can change the minimum speed limit in hazardous weather conditions... Snow, fog, rain, ice, etc.

It's a speed limit, not a goal.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Don't forget to put the asterisk so you can change the minimum speed limit in hazardous weather conditions... Snow, fog, rain, ice, etc.

It's a speed limit, not a goal.

I always thought the "Speed Limit" signs were just a suggestion!

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

Mayor Brown: The longest running mayor (16+ years) in GF to do so little.

No 42nd Overpass. No new interstate ramps. No new bridge connecting to Minnesota.

He did help the position of Grand Forks Mayor become a part time job though. 

Yeah cause leading an organization of hundreds of employees can be done with a few texts in-between baby deliveries.

You can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herd- Roger Miller

Mayor Brown has wanted these projects for as long as he' s been mayor.

For some conspiratorially reasons the state does not think these projects are worthy enough for state dollars. Shock

When GF tax payers have to pay for maintaining state roads and people in GF say the city is the problem that's twilight zone thinking.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 5:39 PM, moser53 said:

You can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herd- Roger Miller

Mayor Brown has wanted these projects for as long as he' s been mayor.

For some conspiratorially reasons the state does not think these projects are worthy enough for state dollars. Shock

When GF tax payers have to pay for maintaining state roads and people in GF say the city is the problem that's twilight zone thinking.

You'd think if you went out of your way to have a vote to increase the sales tax, one would at least get to see something tangible out of it...instead of just a few nicer city roads.

Its scope is limited to just water and street projects, meaning it won't be used for big items like a new Interstate 29 interchange.

So I'm guess that also means no 42nd overpass either?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4354163-sales-tax-take-two

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

You'd think if you went out of your way to have a vote to increase the sales tax, one would at least get to see something tangible out of it...instead of just a few nicer city roads.

So I'm guess that also means no 42nd overpass either?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4354163-sales-tax-take-two

The new water treatment plant being built (that is a necessity and going to be paid for by residents one way or another) seems like a pretty tangible thing. And with state funding being cut, "a few nicer city roads" is going to be a big deal in the next decade. They tried the anything/everything tax approach last year and got shot down, mainly because it was too vague and tried to encompass too much. This time around, they listened to people and are trying to focus in on what is necessary. This also allows for some wiggle room in the future.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The new water treatment plant being built (that is a necessity and going to be paid for by residents one way or another).

Which is why the sales tax isnt about the water treatment plant. It'll get build and paid for either way. ( "Spread your payments out daily instead of a large one monthly sum!”)

Thus, the only thing this tax increase will provide apparently is a few streets of nicer roads a year. 

Still too vague for me. I'd want to see something greater, put roads and a bridge and/or overpass or two.

This Alerus Center type tax should be for "big items" imo.

As near as I can tell its this:  either pass the sales tax and thus have EVERYONE who comes to town/lives in town and buys stuff pay for the new water treatment-----or everyone who lives in GF has to pay for it through their water bill.  Is that correct?

I know which one I would choose.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Which is why the sales tax isnt about the water treatment plant. It'll get build and paid for either way. ( "Spread your payments out daily instead of a large one monthly sum!”)

Thus, the only thing this tax increase will provide apparently is a few streets of nicer roads a year. 

Still too vague for me. I'd want to see something greater, put roads and a bridge and/or overpass or two.

This Alerus Center type tax should be for "big items" imo.

I mean, the roads would get built/paid for/fixed either way as well, it is just a matter of how to pay for them. The sales tax allows an easier conduit for visitors to to help cover some of the costs and personally, I'd rather have it that way rather than them using utility bills and likely property taxes to cover it. Their first attempt at it was not well thought out, they figured out what people wanted (lower percentage, sunset, specific uses) and came back with that.

With lowering the percentage, they still have some dry powder to do a "big item" in the future if necessary. The nice thing is, they will likely have a more firm estimate on what Grand Fork's share will be since those larger road projects could be eligible for state/federal money to help cover some of the costs and right now, its a total guess on what will be available when the time comes for the project.

• Upvote 1

After hearing numerous people say they moved or chose to live in surrounding communities around Grand Forks because of some of the taxes here, I have decided that they should be paying for some of the infrastructure around Grand Forks as well because they are working here and utilizing the benefits of the city. So, this time around I will be voting for the Sales tax. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the lowest sales tax in the state should be our goal...not the highest...we should be voting to lower it to 5.5%

Then where does money come from to improve infrastructure(aka roads)? Like specifically? 

I'm content being middle of the road but still lower than Fargo, which we would be with this proposed increase.

We also have a 0.75% decrease coming in 12 years once the Alerus portion drops off.

• Upvote 2

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Then where does money come from to improve infrastructure(aka roads)? Like specifically? 

I'm content being middle of the road but still lower than Fargo, which we would be with this proposed increase.

We also have a 0.75% decrease coming in 12 years once the Alerus portion drops off.

when we're talking about a 100 bucks here and there...here's an idea....

Send some of the city employees to hugo's to watch each checkout aisle...every person that uses an EBT for their donuts, potato chips, sour cream, and mountain dew get followed outside...anyone that used their EBT that walks up to a car that is 2010 or newer gets their EBT card taken away on the spot and given a city bus map....MILLIONS saved...Next question?