SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Sales Tax Vote

moser53

19 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Lack of faith in local government.  Don't share their vision about needed infrastructure improvements.

If your a conservative isn't local government-state government the best place for local decisions. 

Not to be a smart ass but is it the fact that you see to many people who may lean left on the city council and it's more about them than the tax?

If the council was all conservatives would you take a closer look at it if they said we need this. Or are you just anti tax in general as many are.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If this sales tax fails won't they just increase our water/city bills to pay for it? I'd rather share the load with all of GF PLUS anyone that shops here. 

I heard the average homeowner will save100.00 a year if it psses. Not 100% sure on that statement.

• Upvote 1

Grand forks needs a lot of infrastructure and it won’t get done without sales tax with a sunset

look a at south fargo now and the rediculous taxes on property

some are trying to sell because of taxes and no one wants to buy because of the special assessments 

30 minutes ago, Kab said:

Grand forks needs a lot of infrastructure and it won’t get done without sales tax with a sunset

some are trying to sell because of taxes and no one wants to buy because of the special assessments 

Ya and people in GF don't know or realize how the state has  underfunded roads in GF for decades. Ken Vein pointed out on the radio that GF had to put millions into state roads because the state wouldn't fund us properly. People here are always pointing out what a high tax city GF is. Could it be that were high taxed here because the state has underfunded us for roads for decades. Maybe as high as a half a billion over 40 years. I've followed this that long. Thus putting more pressure on the property owner. Have I got any of this right  Kab?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Kab said:

What was with that school bond  or was it a property tax vote in Fargo last winter b4 the state legislature met?

Look to the west

williston, minot , Jamestown even have funded projects by sales tax for projects that would have been property tax issues for parks, jails and roads. Williston just extended one and their county jail and huge indoor rec center are paid for.  Good for them.

i wonder how fargo gets interstate overpasses, these should be state paid and not local, I don’t know who pays for these.

They have defined usage for the money, a sunset on it and have promised no funds to go towards a new library, all things the first vote completely missed on. I think it passes this time around. That being said, I doubt it ever actually goes away, they never do....

Typical short sided view by many "anti-tax" people.........................you think only GF residence pay sales tax in GF?  I'm in GF a lot from September thru April. I'll be part of that sales tax increase. I don't live in GF. How many non-GF residents will be in town for the big UND sports weekend starting this Friday? How many of them will buy something that contributes to the sales tax pot? 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Trim all the wants from the budget and pay for roads.  Raising taxes is taking the easy way out.

Totally agree with this but we now live in a society of an increasing amount of free loaders? "The wants" are a lot of those people. Good luck getting them off the books.

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Typical short sided view by many "anti-tax" people.........................you think only GF residence pay sales tax in GF?  I'm in GF a lot from September thru April. I'll be part of that sales tax increase. I don't live in GF. How many non-GF residents will be in town for the big UND sports weekend starting this Friday? How many of them will buy something that contributes to the sales tax pot? 

So do what everybody else does and tax hotel rooms and rental cars.

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So do what everybody else does and tax hotel rooms and rental cars.

..........and that approach will generate what in terms of dollars percentage wise in comparison to the sales tax increase?

..........and who is "everybody"?

Seeing that Grand Forks has a lower sales tax than Fargo, Minot, and Williston makes me more accepting of it (I don't live in GF anymore, so I won't be voting anyway).  GF is already higher than Bismarck, but there are certainly things GF does well that Bismarck struggles with which seem to make up for it, like snow removal.

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Seeing that Grand Forks has a lower sales tax than Fargo, Minot, and Williston makes me more accepting of it (I don't live in GF anymore, so I won't be voting anyway).  GF is already higher than Bismarck, but there are certainly things GF does well that Bismarck struggles with which seem to make up for it, like snow removal.

This is my thought as well.  GF would still be lower than Fargo, Minot and Williston with the increase.  It's not like we're going to be setting a record for oppressive sales taxes.

Many small towns are pushing 8%

some counties are home rule counties so they impose tax also

williams county is one of those

everyone wants services but wants the state to pay for things

we are the state, I would rather have some local control

watch your taxes this year with the state taking the social service budget back from counties and not giving real estate tax buy downs

i thInk the state comes out ahead on this one

maybe the governor could fund his own projects and not ask for exemptions and buy downs on his projects