SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD wish list

gfhockey

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, but for anything other than the already established mega-giant that is UND hockey? 

The University of North Dakota needs growth in the important national sports of football and basketball, not the program that is already maxed out.  Division one experience at an institution that has successful football and basketball programs is a prerequisite in my opinion 

I agree with you on these points. And I don't think the rumor is true, as they have said they are going to conduct a national search and use a search firm. But sometimes the person you least expect gets hired and proves everybody wrong. That was the devil's advocate position I was putting out there.

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Whomever we decide on they can't be a FB guy, MBB guy, hockey guy etc.  they need to be a University of North Dakota guy. They need a vision and strategy that includes FB, VB, Hockey, Soccer, MBB, WBB, Track, the students, the GF community, the UND Alumni family, the State of North Dakota and the region.  We need to upgrade our facilities and then evaluate and maintain or upgrade regularly.  We need to engage the students and keep that relationship high on our priority list.  We need to reach out to our faculty and staff whenever and where ever we can.  We need to work hand in hand with our Champions Club and the Alumni office.  We need a strong relationship with the city, county and Chamber officials.  The job will require a dynamic leader will the organization skills to lead a team in order to accomplish these goals and help grow fan support and donations. This team will need to run a balanced budget with the ability to adjust to the changing political and economic climate and changes.  We can no longer stall or delay our decisions or progress because of poor planning.  We can't delay improving coaches salaries and we need to get phase 2 going on the practice facility.  Our women's programs must be properly funded and supported.  Those athletes should feel as they are an important part of the UND athletic department and experience.  Their facilities should be second to none.  We need to upgrade the marketing for the athletic teams and for the University.  Anyone who interviews for this job and doesn't have these basic ideas in mind isn't ready for the job.

Well said. I have been saying these things for years and gotten static in response from some people.

Perhaps we can find an Associate AD from a bigger school who is ready to run his own department who has some fresh, innovative ideas to work with? That might be our best bet.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well said. I have been saying these things for years and gotten static in response from some people.

I'm curious who the hell would actually disagree with all that? Obviously it's easier said than done but there's no doubt we all hope to find someone up to the task.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I'm curious who the hell would actually disagree with all that? Obviously it's easier said than done but there's no doubt we all hope to find someone up to the task.

Who would disagree with what Ira wrote?

People who think we shouldn't have moved up in the first place.

People who think being critical of the athletic department and/or coaches means you don't support the University.

People who think small and behave accordingly.

I don't think most of the people on here are like that (I did say some), but they are out there. We need to hit a home run with this hire. Not doing that will have negative consequences now and for years to come.

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Perhaps we can find an Associate AD from a bigger school who is ready to run his own department who has some fresh, innovative ideas to work with? That might be our best bet.

Can we get you on the search committee?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

Can we get you on the search committee?

Do you really want to subject our fine University to that? :lol:

Seriously though, I think there are people way better qualified to serve on the search committee. But if there was a spot for someone from the general public, I might be interested. It would be fascinating to be a part of a process like that.

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Whomever we decide on they can't be a FB guy, MBB guy, hockey guy etc.  they need to be a University of North Dakota guy. They need a vision and strategy that includes FB, VB, Hockey, Soccer, MBB, WBB, Track, the students, the GF community, the UND Alumni family, the State of North Dakota and the region.  We need to upgrade our facilities and then evaluate and maintain or upgrade regularly.  We need to engage the students and keep that relationship high on our priority list.  We need to reach out to our faculty and staff whenever and where ever we can.  We need to work hand in hand with our Champions Club and the Alumni office.  We need a strong relationship with the city, county and Chamber officials.  The job will require a dynamic leader will the organization skills to lead a team in order to accomplish these goals and help grow fan support and donations. This team will need to run a balanced budget with the ability to adjust to the changing political and economic climate and changes.  We can no longer stall or delay our decisions or progress because of poor planning.  We can't delay improving coaches salaries and we need to get phase 2 going on the practice facility.  Our women's programs must be properly funded and supported.  Those athletes should feel as they are an important part of the UND athletic department and experience.  Their facilities should be second to none.  We need to upgrade the marketing for the athletic teams and for the University.  Anyone who interviews for this job and doesn't have these basic ideas in mind isn't ready for the job.

Well, I obviously agree with all these points, but like many things, it's easier said than done. I hope UND can find and hire a candidate who is capable of progressing UND athletics forward as a whole; however, all candidates will have strengths and weaknesses. My previous comments reflect the need for an individual with strengths in fundraising, proactive thinking, and optimistic planning, including getting phase 2 completed and marketing expanded. UND requires more growth in football and basketball at this point than men's hockey; that is my assessment and preference which lends to the type of athletic director I feel this university needs for significant growth. UND needs someone who is able to push the boundaries of division I UND athletics, and that starts by persuading the supporters and people of the region and state to do great things and be apart of it. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Of course it is easier said than done.  Success isn't always easy and I think sometimes the easy way gets us only part way to where we want to go.  We too often piece-meal what we need to get done.  Engelstad didn't do that with the arena.  It is time we realize that there is a whole different level to which we should aspire to.  In our athletic world, I believe this is what it is going to take.    There are people like that out there, but will one of them apply?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Of course it is easier said than done.  Success isn't always easy and I think sometimes the easy way gets us only part way to where we want to go.  We too often piece-meal what we need to get done.  Engelstad didn't do that with the arena.  It is time we realize that there is a whole different level to which we should aspire to.  In our athletic world, I believe this is what it is going to take.    There are people like that out there, but will one of them apply?

Make the pay appropriate for the expectation and you will get the right candidates.  Like anything, you get what you pay for. 

Its been awhile since I could say this about a UND president but I have faith in Kennedy that he knows what he wants for this position.