SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD wish list

gfhockey

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is one time I hope he is dead on. If so he can post as many crazy conspiracy theories as he wants.

I've mentioned this in years past, "The trailer park on Univeristy Aveunue (west) is ripe for the plucking."

BUT, now having Ray Richards Golf Course available as a potential site for a FB stadium and other future buildings/needs has more potential --- academic buildings, dorms, close to steam plant, plant services buildings, and etc. #1, UND already owns the land. #2, this land is adjacent to UND's main campus to the south, except for a narrow strip which includes Demers Ave and RR tracks. I always cringe when someone talks about selling that golf course land. UND will need this land years down the road, a sale here would be a big long term mistake.  Usually a bad practice to sell off your stuff when times aren't so good.

There could be a walk way built over the tracks and Demers Ave, like going south of Wilkerson Hall complexes. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nodak651 said:

And why can't Fenton do that?  AD is a management/fundraising position.  Period.  Fenton is a smart guy that gets !@#$ done.  And his background does include more than just hockey.

FYI, Faison had no hockey experience prior to arriving at UND, and that didn't have any affect on the trajectory of the program.

One would have to be a complete imbecile with an adverse agenda to drive UND hockey downward. A $100 million dollar college hockey arena will win over just about any recruit or fan, irregardless of AD competency. Football and basketball aren't that fortunate; their facilities are a work in progress and fundraising for those programs requires work. It requires an AD who is passionate, proactive, and optimistic with big plans. Not to mention social skills is also a must; donations can come from all corners, you just have to be willing to look. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Who is Craig Perry?

Former Grand Forks Public Schools Athletic Director, UND Assistant Hockey Coach under Gino, UND goaltender and spent two years "coaching" Grand Forks Central's hockey program. From what I heard, he was an excellent administrator and a good guy. I even got an autograph from him as a kid at a "Meet the Sioux" event back in the 1980's. As long as he doesn't do any coaching himself, I would be fine with him as AD.

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Former Grand Forks Public Schools Athletic Director, UND Assistant Hockey Coach under Gino, UND goaltender and spent two years "coaching" Grand Forks Central's hockey program. From what I heard, he was an excellent administrator and a good guy. I even got an autograph from him as a kid at a "Meet the Sioux" event back in the 1980's. As long as he doesn't do any coaching himself, I would be fine with him as AD.

That's really pathetic, imo, if true.  And people think Fenton isn't qualified...

39 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We don't need some former high school administrator to run UND's athletic department. We need somebody focused on football and basketball because that is how the university grows. Hockey at about maxed out in potential so no use in hiring a hockey guy. I really hope big hockey donors don't skew Kennedy into going with a hockey guy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 10/17/2017 at 5:34 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Michigan hired a former Ohio St assistant and he turned everything around for them and has since been the measuring stick for all Michigan coaches. Sometimes it’s a good thing to go outside the family.

Then maybe we should make an offer to Gene Taylor, just for $hits and Giggles.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We don't need some former high school administrator to run UND's athletic department. We need somebody focused on football and basketball because that is how the university grows. Hockey at about maxed out in potential so no use in hiring a hockey guy. I really hope big hockey donors don't skew Kennedy into going with a hockey guy.

Then maybe those people that are "ready" to give big donations for the other sports should put up or shut up.   You keep hearing about them, but like that radio spot goes, "almost giving isn't giving"!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Joe Perry >>> Craig Perry

..........at least with Joe he might be able to get Steven Tyler come to GF and tear it up on an occasional Friday and/or Saturday night!

Craig? Really???  SMH............

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Not going to be a hockey guy.  This is about university expansion which comes from football and mbb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He's a good administrator. And I think he would do a better job of fundraising than Faison did.

Yeah, but for anything other than the already established mega-giant that is UND hockey? 

The University of North Dakota needs growth in the important national sports of football and basketball, not the program that is already maxed out.  Division one experience at an institution that has successful football and basketball programs is a prerequisite in my opinion 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

BINGO! 

I will be voicing this exact thing to President Kennedy. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Doug Peters doesn't get an interview................

He could bring along a pretty good MBB coach too!

I'll second this one...he's a charismatic guy who's departments have overachieved based on the schools he's been at.  I'd like to see our interviews consist of Doug Peters and a couple of FBS Associate ADs...