SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Minnesota

AZSIOUX

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Maybe the student could do some pullups on the glass during the gopher warm ups. Show Mr Mittlestadt, that even you average college beer drinker should be able to do a single pull-up, let along a drafted college athlete.

Right.  I'm a 41 year old 230 pound dad, and I can do 3-5 depending on the day.  

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Let's get this started, shall we? Wehr's corner, Part II .... Classic Sweeney "In front of the benches, now. Look out! Here we go!" and then "You gotta pull out wider to catch it all!"

Man, I miss Hexy. That dude could trash talk with the best of em.

Listen to that frickin' crowd. Let's go.

wehrs.png

So sad lol.

I miss Sweeney so badly!!!

i remember that scrum.  You only get a piece of it on this clip, but I remember Frattin had a Gopher in each hand and was jerking them both around like rag dolls.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Any chatter about the series happening on the gopher site? Do they have any fans left there? 

Over on USCHO they had a fan bragging about their 7-2-2 record against us in the last 11 games, so because of this "dominance" it's not much of a rivalry anymore. I'm not sure if they were joking. One of their other fans chimed in and said they hoped he was joking. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Over on USCHO they had a fan bragging about their 7-2-2 record against us in the last 11 games, so because of this "dominance" it's not much of a rivalry anymore. I'm not sure if they were joking. One of their other fans chimed in and said they hoped he was joking. 

That's DaveK.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:57 PM, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Video on NCAA website said the UND/Minnesota rivalry was #2 behind BC/BU. Thoughts?

Actually the rivalry is probably a bit lower...we don't play these guys on a regular basis anymore and to me it's just another non-conference opponent.  Still don't like the Gofs but really don't care that much about them now that they aren't in UND's conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This rivalry has  certainly cooled since the Big 10 started. But now that it is up an running again every year, if you get some close games, some dirty games, some back and forth games, and maybe some postseason games, it'll heat right back up. Unfortunately, it will probably never get back to where it was. That rivalry was great because we had a chance to play them up to 6 times in a season. That is a whole lot of rivalry hockey.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

DaveK as one of his personalities, speed kills, doesn't consider UND-Minnesota is rivalry anymore.   

When they played last year in Minnesota it just wasn't the same. It's the premier game on the schedule but that does not mean its a huge rivalry any longer.

That's like saying UND-NDSU is a huge rivalry in football.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

When they played last year in Minnesota it just wasn't the same. It's the premier game on the schedule but that does not mean its a huge rivalry any longer.

That's like saying UND-NDSU is a huge rivalry in football.

No, not the same. NDSU is head and shoulders above UND in football(for now hopefully). In hockey, UND and UMN usually play exciting and competitive games with each team getting the upper hand at different times. Also, they both are usually top 10 in the country.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No, not the same. NDSU is head and shoulders above UND in football(for now hopefully). In hockey, UND and UMN usually play exciting and competitive games with each team getting the upper hand at different times. Also, they both are usually top 10 in the country.

Yes, it is pretty much the same. UND has moved on and so has the Gophers. They are now just another non-conference opponent that we need to beat to keep our ranking in the pairwise. This was proven pretty much last year down here at the 3M arena at Marriucci.

The same people who say this is a huge rivalry are the same ones who wont move on from the Sioux nickname..

• Downvote 12

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Yes, it is pretty much the same. UND has moved on and so has the Gophers. They are now just another non-conference opponent that we need to beat to keep our ranking in the pairwise. This was proven pretty much last year down here at the 3M arena at Marriucci.

The same people who say this is a huge rivalry are the same ones who wont move on from the Sioux nickname..

I disagree. Sure it has lost some steam with a few years off (and it now being one non-conference series a year) but the building will be jumping more this weekend than our series with Denver.  Until we are competitive the NDSU rivalry took a much bigger hit. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Not a rivalry? Why are the tickets for this weekend worth 5x as much as most conference play? If it's not a rivalry you should tell the people that are paying 150 a seat

• Upvote 4

One way to define a rivalry game is "which one you want the most".  

Here in 2017, the ones I want the most are actually vs Denver.

----------------------------------------

From a Pairwise standpoint, more like how a coach might view it, the 4 games vs Wisconsin and Minnesota will go a very long way to determine NCAA/Pairwise rankings.  Arguably the most important 4 games of the regular season.

55 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

:lol:

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, TNF said:

I disagree. Sure it has lost some steam with a few years off (and it now being one non-conference series a year) but the building will be jumping more this weekend than our series with Denver.  Until we are competitive the NDSU rivalry took a much bigger hit. 

It's the same thing with NDSU. You couldn't fill the Alerus for any other game but if NDSU comes to town, I guarantee that the Alerus will be full.  

• Upvote 2