SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. St Lawrence

AZSIOUX

UND tied UAA Friday and won Saturday in OT to open the regular season. St Lawrence (ECAC) lost to Michigan Friday (3-1) and Penn State on Saturday (4-1). Both games were home in Canton, NY. SLU also lost their exh game 3-2.

C. Johnson, Kierstad and Adams all scored their first career goals in Saturday nights win.

There will be a 30 year aniv celebration of the 1987 hrkac circus title team Saturday night 

17 hours ago, AZSIOUX said:

UND tied UAA Friday and won Saturday in OT to open the regular season. St Lawrence (ECAC) lost to Michigan Friday (3-1) and Penn State on Saturday (4-1). Both games were home in Canton, NY. SLU also lost their exh game 3-2.

C. Johnson, Kierstad and Adams all scored their first career goals in Saturday nights win.

There will be a 30 year aniv celebration of the 1987 hrkac circus title team Saturday night 

Tony still have some eligibility left? :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

The post about Mismash and Kawaguchi sitting out the Saturday night game is a little surprising but not earth shattering. 

My guess is Mishmash didn't take kindly to sitting........I expect him to have a big weekend.

19 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

sometimes you play up or down to the competition, last weekend may have been that.

This weekend they fix the glitch and right the ship, play to their skill and win both:

Fri  5-2

Sat 3-1 w/ENT

Playing down to your competition definitely happens, but it didn't happen last weekend. UND skated circles around UAA dominating them the entire weekend everywhere except the most important place, the score board. Combination of great goaltending for UAA and missing open nets made the scores much, much closer than it should have been.

12 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

What post, is there news about this?

I think they just mean that someone mentioned that Mismash and Kawaguchi were scratched, not really an elaborated story about it. Regarding them sitting, I think that sometimes as a young player, seeing the game from above the ice can be good for you too. Might not necessarily be strictly about performance, but also about the opportunity to see the game.

8 hours ago, joeyjr said:

I think they just mean that someone mentioned that Mismash and Kawaguchi were scratched, not really an elaborated story about it. Regarding them sitting, I think that sometimes as a young player, seeing the game from above the ice can be good for you too. Might not necessarily be strictly about performance, but also about the opportunity to see the game.

It's a numbers game for UND that's a problem that the coaches have to like, but will make for some tough decisions on who's in and who's out. They are 15 deep at the forward spot, obviously not all the same abilities, but all 15 that can play. I see it as needing to get Yon / Smith in for the weekend and Mismash / Kawaguchi didn't show enough the night before secure their spot. Obviously it was their first collegiate game, I don't think they played poorly, but somebody had to come out.

After watching both games though, it does appear that Yon should be "out" more than he should be "in". He has more experience than Mismash / Kawaguchi at the collegiate level, but not close to as much talent. Smith though is a valuable guy to have in there, injuries will happen and it'll make the coaching staffs life a little easier, but with everyone healthy, I see 13 forwards that should be in with only 12 spots. 

The same can be said on defense, Bast will need an opportunity, Peski / Johnson seemed to step up their games this year, Kierstad played pretty well his first weekend too. 

Very deep team this year. 

Btw, the sophomore class was probably the least heralded class I can remember (outside of Jost of course). I'll continue to eat crow, I think they'll be a fantastic class that outside of maybe C. Poolman will all be 4 year guys. A lot of solid players in Bowen, Smith, Poolman, Peski, Hoff and Johnson.  

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

It's a numbers game for UND that's a problem that the coaches have to like, but will make for some tough decisions on who's in and who's out. They are 15 deep at the forward spot, obviously not all the same abilities, but all 15 that can play. I see it as needing to get Yon / Smith in for the weekend and Mismash / Kawaguchi didn't show enough the night before secure their spot. Obviously it was their first collegiate game, I don't think they played poorly, but somebody had to come out.

After watching both games though, it does appear that Yon should be "out" more than he should be "in". He has more experience than Mismash / Kawaguchi at the collegiate level, but not close to as much talent. Smith though is a valuable guy to have in there, injuries will happen and it'll make the coaching staffs life a little easier, but with everyone healthy, I see 13 forwards that should be in with only 12 spots. 

The same can be said on defense, Bast will need an opportunity, Peski / Johnson seemed to step up their games this year, Kierstad played pretty well his first weekend too. 

Very deep team this year. 

Injuries are going to happen, as they always do. With the players on this year's team an injured player should be afforded the oppurtunity to recover as opposed to coming back a little early and playing with a nagging injury. As we've seen with the football team, you can never have too much depth.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Would not surprise me if Mismash and Gooch are in the stands on Friday.  Not sure where you would make a change. 

Yon for sure, but other than that, it's a tough call. Smith is valuable, I think he needs to be in, but I also think we need Mismash and Gooch. I'd go with the lineup they had Friday and make changes (for Smith) for the forward who struggles the most Friday night.