SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UAA - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

This was as close to a must win as their is two games into the season, absolutely crucial. Anchorage is terrible and will not win many games this year, but good to get out of their 1-0-1. At the end of the year this win counts just as much as if they won 5-0. Positives were they looked good, outside of actually putting the puck in the net, but Mantha had a lot to do with that. I thought Cam looked good, a couple bad turnovers yesterday by the defense ended up in the back of the net, but overall he was solid on the weekend.

This team is deep on the forward front, I do think though that Yon will be the odd man out more times than he'll be in. Would much rather see #16 or #29 in the lineup. Adams has locked himself into the starting lineup. 

On to St. Lawrence, hopefully they'll find the net more next week. These non-conference games against weaker opponents are so important, can't afford a loss. 

On the backend, Wolanin is a stud, he'll be dominant this year. What was a nice surprise is Peski / Johnson seemed to outplay Shaw / Poolman. We know what UND has in Shaw / Poolman and they'll be steady / solid defenders this year, who specifically Shaw had an off weekend. If Peski / Johnson can continue to play well, this will be a very good defensive unit this year and for years to come. 

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

I don't know if you and many others on this site know this....the other team has something to say about the result of the game. It's not entirely controlled by our favorite team to make the outcome of the game, there is another team on the ice...

And when that team is garbage, people generally expect more than a tie and an OT win. Granted, this is a young team on one of the toughest road trips they'll ever go on and I think they'll learn from this weekend and get better. But I don't blame people for being a little frustrated that this team wasn't able to sweep a bad team like UAA. I just think we should focus on the long-term potential that they have, which I think is considerable.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

These days I watch most games but this weekend I listened to Hennessy and i have to say that I forgot how good of an announcer he is. 

It was nice to see the young guys putting up points. Gersich and Pogo will pick it up...seeing the young guys score early will be good motivation for them.

Hennessy is my favorite. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This squad definitely lacks offensive punch. SOG are a decent stat to track but ultimately the puck has to find the back of the net. Gersich and Pogo both need to do something offensively.

It's early and was in Alaska. Also, that tendy was getting so lucky.  The pp did not look good this weekend and the forwards need to be more assertive but it's way too early to panic. Let's see what's going on during Christmas.

If I had that kind of luck playing goalie I'd have easily made senior beer league....

No amount of skill is required to dive back across and make a save like he did.  It's all about not shooting the puck right into their glove/stick.....I made one save like that my entire career and there was hooting and hollering, but I didn't even realize the puck was in my give until the reff blew the whistle.  Forwards gotta bear down and finish. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And when that team is garbage, people generally expect more than a tie and an OT win. Granted, this is a young team on one of the toughest road trips they'll ever go on and I think they'll learn from this weekend and get better. But I don't blame people for being a little frustrated that this team wasn't able to sweep a bad team like UAA. I just think we should focus on the long-term potential that they have, which I think is considerable.

I'll just leave this here...

Check out @NCAAIceHockey’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/status/917020509778305024?s=09

4 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I'll just leave this here...

Check out @NCAAIceHockey’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/status/917020509778305024?s=09

yes that was a good highlight reel save. 

but the point is the team that UAA put on the ice was a terrible college hockey team, they really were not good. Thats what I saw not....in relation to UND....or in relation to a mediocre to decent goalie who played pretty dang well ....the actual team and skill that I saw displayed by UAA is garbage at the D1 level. 

That. is the point.  

And i think alot of people were quite shocked to see our highly touted recruiting class  and veteran mix of depth, struggle to put together anything on the what 8 or 9 PPs they had, or find the creativilty on an olympic sheet to spread out their collapsing D and get scoring chances and rebound chances.

I think thats a fair thing to say was, unexpected. 

The one thing i will say was a big factor in the discombobulatation of passing receiving and holding onto the puck was the ice, it looked awefull, it must have been just atrocious.

So to ramble, could it be that maybe some of these teams who are so......less skilles, like UAA, maybe get the ice to a point that nefates puck control skill and pass completion?....

Or maybe thats just the conspiracy theorist in me.  

In conclusion of fact

1: UAA is not a good D1 hockey team.

2: UND is not happy with the way they played yhose hockey games. Which os good.

3: And most importantly UAA is not a good D1 hockey team.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

but the point is the team that UAA put on the ice was a terrible college hockey team, they really were not good. Thats what I saw not....in relation to UND....or in relation to a mediocre to decent goalie who played pretty dang well ....the actual team and skill that I saw displayed by UAA is garbage at the D1 level. 

That. is the point.  

And i think alot of people were quite shocked to see our highly touted recruiting class  and veteran mix of depth, struggle to put together anything on the what 8 or 9 PPs they had, or find the creativilty on an olympic sheet to spread out their collapsing D and get scoring chances and rebound chances.

The one thing i will say was a big factor in the discombobulatation of passing receiving and holding onto the puck was the ice, it looked awefull, it must have been just atrocious.

So to ramble, could it be that maybe some of these teams who are so......less skilles, like UAA, maybe get the ice to a point that nefates puck control skill and pass completion?....

In conclusion of fact

A lot of good points, but one thing I did not argue against is that UAA is a bad team.

Look at Mantha's numbers with his crappy D1 team, pretty impressive I would say, and the only thing I've said is our favorite team had a hard time getting the puck past HIM only, see shots on net.

Some of you guys argue that it had nothing to do with the other team (Mantha) on this ice. With that thinking will you later in the season..when our favorite team beats Denver... say.... thankfully Denver played bad so our less than their team could win? Or will you give credit to our favorite team for winning?

They got a win and a tie playing in the middle of nowhere on the FIRST week of the season. I am ok with that result.

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That. is the point.  

In conclusion of fact

The record of UND up in Anchorage isn't great to begin with at barely above .500, and Anchorage has never been the class of any league. The talent level on some of those teams was pretty significant, nevermind the fact that it wasn't their first game at the college level.   This team is going to have a hard time scoring goals at some times this season, and it doesn't surprise me that they did against a veteran team that likes to pack it in the paint.  I think this team will have a lot of Drake Caggiula type players that can score a little bit their freshmen year, but probably won't give you the Boeser and Jost type impact.  The hope is that they can put together a good enough record until the chemistry between those guys starts to gel.  They won't do that unless they get a lot of help from the upperclassmen.  Hopefully when they are playing against teams that are a little more wide open they will be able to find their stride, but if the upperclassmen aren't consistently scoring they will struggle.  

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That. is the point.  

In conclusion of fact

Our group was talking about the ice conditions, and that was probably intentional on their part? How much leeway may the home rink have when making ice?

I was up at the games live this past weekend. And besides the really bad ice, it was very clear that the clutch and grab, hook and hold, old time WCHA problem was very evident. Even if the PP was terrible, the ability to use your skill was significantly impaired by the lack of being able to simply MOVE quite often.  Which makes the PP even more important, as when something is finally called, we need to capitalize on it, and just did not (yet). So PP really needs to improve (broken record thought, sorry).