SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UAA - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Few guys will get to think "how in the world did I miss that gaping net?"

I don't think I've seen a team make goaltenders look as good as UND has the past few seasons.  The former goalie in me wants to give the tendys their due, but when you've seen it as much as we have it gets to be a broken record.

Move on, bear down.....it's a process that doesn't end because you tied Anchorage early in October. 

I thought they started a tad slow, but really picked it up after the first. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt being a mere two weeks in and on a long road trip. It's not like they didn't learn anything last night, and if they (and we) trust the process they'll be fine. 

I would've liked to see a PPG or at least less perimeter play and more of an effort to get the puck down low.

The 5 on 3 PK with the game on the line  was a pretty big moment and they passed that test.  AA had all the momentum after tying the game just minutes before. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, burd said:

One of the things I like to look at this time of year is their ability to handle adversity.  It's early, and there are some encouraging signs, but it looks like this fanbase has some room to improve.  :D

Until they win 10-0 every game @MafiaMan will never be happy. :p

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

I thought they started a tad slow, but really picked it up after the first. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt being a mere two weeks in and on a long road trip. It's not like they didn't learn anything last night, and if they (and we) trust the process they'll be fine. 

I would've liked to see a PPG or at least less perimeter play and more of an effort to get the puck down low.

The 5 on 3 PK with the game on the line  was a pretty big moment and they passed that test.  AA had all the momentum after tying the game just minutes before. 

UND showed some flashes of being solid, but good teams find a way to win and UND couldn't...against a team that won 7 games last season. Sure it's the first game of the season, but keep in mind that the goofs beat these guys 6-0 early October last year. I'm also not too sure I can "trust the process" figuring last year's team seemed to flat line on PP development, scoring and winning in general last season. I'm not to the ledge by any means, but with how familiar things looked last night, I'm surely not very confident in this group yet. 

9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

UND showed some flashes of being solid, but good teams find a way to win and UND couldn't...against a team that won 7 games last season. Sure it's the first game of the season, but keep in mind that the goofs beat these guys 6-0 early October last year. I'm also not too sure I can "trust the process" figuring last year's team seemed to flat line on PP development, scoring and winning in general last season. I'm not to the ledge by any means, but with how familiar things looked last night, I'm surely not very confident in this group yet. 

Slow start to the season and a power play that never seems to improve, that's just what we do. It always seems to work out in the end.

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

As of right now we have no finishers, you would think maybe Gersich buuut not sure yet

4 minutes ago, burd said:

One of the things I like to look at this time of year is their ability to handle adversity.  It's early, and there are some encouraging signs, but it looks like this fanbase has some room to improve.  :D

A new team handling adversity well in my eyes would be a team gutting through a bad game by still coming out on top with a gross win. I don't really see killing off a 5-3 to squeak by with a tie vs a team like that is a very good sign for season to come.They couldn't find a way to win, let alone find a way to score on one of the worst teams in the nation. I don't blame myself or others for being a little bit concerned already.

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

As of right now we have no finishers, you would think maybe Gersich buuut not sure yet

.......but once Wilkie pots one he'll score a bunch!

.......wait wrong season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

He's a great goal scorer and an awesome player that gives it his all, but just like last season he seems to score all (or most) of his goals when they don't really matter. OT winner for an extra point over Denver, and the first goal in the natty 2 years ago are the only ones that come to mind. I remember a lot of his goals being when UND was already out of reach or already had a good lead. 

After seeing some of the chances he had last night, and if the whole Hoff between Pogo and Gersich doesn't work out I think you could see Nick Jones up with those two.  Kid is just a battler, and could be a great cycle guy with Pogo in the corner.  

I'm kind of surprised the Euros didn't start the year on the same line, but it's only October and lines will change a bunch between now and then. 

1 hour ago, shep said:

Yup...no better way to determine a Championship Coach's fate than a game on the road against a hot goalie in October.

It's called sarcasm.  However, had DU beaten ND in the 2016 semi-final, the "Fire Berry" thread would already be up and running.

Guys played pretty well last night and dominated for stretches. Anchorage's goalie was outstanding but we also had a couple guys just plain miss with open nets. Really liked Kiersted on defense last night. Was really smooth and did a good job of picking his spots to get involved offensively. The Olson-Simonson-Bowen line played well together again and might have been our best line last night. Few lapses in the defensive zone but overall not too bad at all for the season opener. Need to do a better job of getting shots through tonight and probably put the puck on net a little more as it seemed like there were a few different times last night where guys just overpassed it and really passed up a good scoring chance.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Guys played pretty well last night and dominated for stretches. Anchorage's goalie was outstanding but we also had a couple guys just plain miss with open nets. Really liked Kiersted on defense last night. Was really smooth and did a good job of picking his spots to get involved offensively. The Olson-Simonson-Bowen line played well together again and might have been our best line last night. Few lapses in the defensive zone but overall not too bad at all for the season opener. Need to do a better job of getting shots through tonight and probably put the puck on net a little more as it seemed like there were a few different times last night where guys just overpassed it and really passed up a good scoring chance.

That's a pretty optimistic review of a game where only 1 goal was scored against a miserable program. I don't think their goalie is anything special, I just think UND has been good at making goalies look leaps and bounds better than they actually are the past 2 seasons. 

I wouldn't mind it if UAA controlled play the entire game tonight and outshot UND 4-1 as long as UND out scored them by 3 or 4 goals. At least there would be a break in this ugly trend of poor scoring percentages. As we all know, the PP is still miserably bad, but I didnt realize it was 5 shot attempts on 5 power plays bad. Yikes 

Simo was a beast on the dot last night and was the only guy able to bury one. Good flash of leadership there by him, showing it on the ice where it counts. Nick Jones went 6-0 on the dot as well, so thats a flawless start for him. 

• Upvote 1