SiouxSports.com Forum

Offense Against Cal Davis

Siouxfan69

13 minutes ago, Siouxfan69 said:

I didn't have a chance to watch or listen to the game last night.  I would like to know if uND threw off play action on first down at any time during the game..

We ran a jet sweep for -4 yards that killed a promising drive. We did a pa pass on 3rd and something like 15. Nobody bit on the fake though....

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

We ran a jet sweep for -4 yards that killed a promising drive. We did a pa pass on 3rd and something like 15. Nobody bit on the fake though....

In Rudys defense it is much tougher to call a game as an OC when the defense turns it into a track meet.  When it got to 28-10, we were in big trouble and everyone at the game, watching the game, and certainly playing/coaching knew it.

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

In Rudys defense it is much tougher to call a game as an OC when the defense turns it into a track meet.  When it got to 28-10, we were in big trouble and everyone at the game, watching the game, and certainly playing/coaching knew it.

We were gashing them up the gut. A pa pass would make sense there, not a horizontal run that seldom works.

I asked the pa on 1st down question because I wanted to know if we would do the unexpected.  It's a little like pitching to Joe Mauer.  Everybody, including your gramma and dog, knows that Mauer rarely swings at the first pitch. The pitcher facing him knows that he can safely throw a meatball right down broadway and get an easy strike.  Just like the Mauer example, everybody knows UND will run on first down.  Throwing off of pa on 1st down, especially to start the game,.may cause a defense not to load up the box. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Siouxfan69 said:

I asked the pa on 1st down question because I wanted to know if we would do the unexpected.  It's a little like pitching to Joe Mauer.  Everybody, including your gramma and dog, knows that Mauer rarely swings at the first pitch. The pitcher facing him knows that he can safely throw a meatball right down broadway and get an easy strike.  Just like the Mauer example, everybody knows UND will run on first down.  Throwing off of pa on 1st down, especially to start the game,.may cause a defense not to load up the box. 

Kind of like we did at USD on the 1st play.   That really fooled them

In all of the negatives surrounding these losses it's noteworthy to point out that the ground game - obviously a key component to Bubba's offensive philosophy - got going against Davis on Saturday. Hopefully that continues going forward and keeps the defense off the field as long as possible.

Also a shout out to Taubenheim who played well despite being injured.