SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football Strength & Conditioning

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

We did have a discussion about this last year or the year before on here.   One of the guys I played with who played some in the CFL said he was shocked that UND didn't do more position specific stuff.   That philosophy was roundly debunked on this forum at that time.

I agree that the injuries aren't due to the S&C program but am still surprised that OL are doing the same program as CBs - if that is true.

Yeah, I brought it up two years ago and was "roundly debunked" too (I love that phrase!).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

Could be a lot of other causes of non contact injuries,

some antibiotics can cause tendons to rupture, some cholesterol medicines harm muscles and tendons 

who knows  what some of the protein powders and other things athletes take do to their bodies

Doubt many if any of these guys are on Statins for Cholesterol and the muscle issue is a potential side effect but it is rare.  There is a group of antibiotics that can cause problems with ligaments but they should not be used routinely. The supplements are unknowns cuz God only knows what is in them.  Creatine can cause muscle cramps and possible strains/pulled muscles. All of these should be something discussed with athletes and monitored by our athletic trainers.

6 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I have no idea if our S+C program has anything to do with our injuries or if it's bad luck. I also know that there are different S+C philosophies and trainers are passionate about their own methods and that there are many ways to skin a cat.

What I do know is that a football specific S+C trainer here in the Twin Cities - who worked for the Vikings for years - trains his athletes differently than Bakkol and does not approve of the training done at UND. I don't have a ton a specifics but I do know that the former Vikings trainer does not believe in squats and trains athletes specific to their positions - and both of these contrast with UND's method. Defensive backs are given weight programs different than offensive linemen and different than punters. He also said that many D1 schools do not squat because of the knee stress and when the NFL draft combine is approaching the players go back to it because it's one of the metrics used at the combine. After that the Vikes don't squat, at least when he was there (enter Vikings ineptitude joke here).

Strength and conditioning should be customized for the sport and for the position.

• Upvote 2

On 10/2/2017 at 8:47 AM, Ozzie82 said:

I have no idea if our S+C program has anything to do with our injuries or if it's bad luck. I also know that there are different S+C philosophies and trainers are passionate about their own methods and that there are many ways to skin a cat.

What I do know is that a football specific S+C trainer here in the Twin Cities - who worked for the Vikings for years - trains his athletes differently than Bakkol and does not approve of the training done at UND. I don't have a ton a specifics but I do know that the former Vikings trainer does not believe in squats and trains athletes specific to their positions - and both of these contrast with UND's method. Defensive backs are given weight programs different than offensive linemen and different than punters. He also said that many D1 schools do not squat because of the knee stress and when the NFL draft combine is approaching the players go back to it because it's one of the metrics used at the combine. After that the Vikes don't squat, at least when he was there (enter Vikings ineptitude joke here).

Carson Palmer was doing squats on the Cardinals "All or Nothing" documentary from Amazon.  Nothing of substance contributed, but he was. Just sayin' ☺

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Drugs have over come all the posters from this thread.

So now with the flip of a switch   Strength & Conditioning      has nothing to do with it?

I’d like to hear what people think we are doing or have heard what we are doing for training.

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

.......isn't the Olympic "dick measuring" type weight training a thing of the past?  Deadlifting a Subaru does what again???

Hope this has ended or will end soon. It's definitely a recommended change from those in a position to do so, but has been, or at least was, met by resistance

Edited by sprig

So I have multiple TVs in my living room and after the shellacking yesterday, while it was my wife's turn to watch House Hunters, I had the NDSU-YSU game on one of the other TV's.  My wife glanced up at that TV and said "holy cow their guys are all so much bigger than ours, our players look like high schoolers".  

How I know a lot of our guys WERE playing high school ball a year ago, but its not the first time we've pointed this.  USD's guys seemed way bigger and more athletic than ours when we were in Vermillion.

Just sayin'...........

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

So I have multiple TVs in my living room and after the shellacking yesterday, while it was my wife's turn to watch House Hunters, I had the NDSU-YSU game on one of the other TV's.  My wife glanced up at that TV and said "holy cow their guys are all so much bigger than ours, our players look like high schoolers".  

How I know a lot of our guys WERE playing high school ball a year ago, but its not the first time we've pointed this.  USD's guys seemed way bigger and more athletic than ours when we were in Vermillion.

Just sayin'...........

This is so evident when watching games.  You want to play smash mouth, need a team that can physically play smash mouth.   

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 2:46 PM, geaux_sioux said:

That's fine to say it is weak as long as there are examples of why it would be considered weak.

The physical appearance of all offensive linemen that have been in the program 3-4 years has not changed.  I have no doubt the guys are working hard but something is different when you compare them to teams on TV like you did last night.  

For the record, I like Baukol and don't know strength training but I am in agreement with others that off-season workouts need to be evaluated, along with possibly player commitment.  

This many injuries is unheard of because it doesn't happen.  Bad luck or something else?  

2 hours ago, homer said:

This is so evident when watching games.  You want to play smash mouth, need a team that can physically play smash mouth.   

Beings this year is a lost year ....I looked who the potential starting 11 will be defensively next year. 

3 DL 

austin- 6'4" 300 sen

tank- 6'3" 300 sen

mason 6'4" 245 jun

LB

Jade 6'2" 215 jun

donnell 6'1" 235 jun

noah 6'2" 235 fresh 

haas. 6'5"  230 soph 

CB 

deion 6'3" 200 sen 

evan 5'11" 180 jun or Torrey 6'1" 185 jun 

tamas 6'0 200 sen 

Ty 6'2" 195 soph 

If half of those can remain healthy there is meat and experience. The young guys got plenty of playing time this year, which should bode well for next year  

2nd stringers 

DL

zeke 6'3" 240 fresh 

seguin 6'3" 275 fresh or greer 6'2" 290 sen 

carter 6'3" 235 jun 

LB

tanner 6'1 225 sen

cam 6'1" 225 soph

jake 6'2" 220 ( hoping) soph 

Jaxson 6'2" 215 soph 

CB

blubaugh 6'0" 190 soph 

either Torrey or Evan 

canady 6'2" 200  soph 

? Vashon ? 5'11" 190 jun 

This group gets a little lighter. 

The one thing with unds defense is when they are fairly healthy they are constantly rotating.....not able to that this year.

Completely agree with your assessment of smash mouth.  I believe if you are only going to have 3-4 base.... the DEs should be at least 250 lbs and the nose should be at least 290.  Having a cupboard full of quick small LBs does not get it done with smash mouth.  Right before Donnell got hurt in the misery st game , I happened to be watching him.....he went right off the backside of tank to fill a gap.....he was met there by a pulling OL....Donnell lit him up!!!!  Nearly put him on his ass. ....instead he just knocked him back 5-6 yards and made the tackle.   That's what they are missing this year.   Nobody left has the size and or attitude to make people move.  Maybe tank on occasion but everyone else just runs around.....

2 hours ago, homer said:

Beings this year is a lost year ....I looked who the potential starting 11 will be defensively next year. 

3 DL 

austin- 6'4" 300 sen

tank- 6'3" 300 sen

mason 6'4" 245 jun

LB

Jade 6'2" 215 jun

donnell 6'1" 235 jun

noah 6'2" 235 fresh 

haas. 6'5"  230 soph 

CB 

deion 6'3" 200 sen 

evan 5'11" 180 jun or Torrey 6'1" 185 jun 

tamas 6'0 200 sen 

Ty 6'2" 195 soph 

If half of those can remain healthy there is meat and experience. The young guys got plenty of playing time this year, which should bode well for next year  

2nd stringers 

DL

zeke 6'3" 240 fresh 

seguin 6'3" 275 fresh or greer 6'2" 290 sen 

carter 6'3" 235 jun 

LB

tanner 6'1 225 sen

cam 6'1" 225 soph

jake 6'2" 220 ( hoping) soph 

Jaxson 6'2" 215 soph 

CB

blubaugh 6'0" 190 soph 

either Torrey or Evan 

canady 6'2" 200  soph 

? Vashon ? 5'11" 190 jun 

This group gets a little lighter. 

The one thing with unds defense is when they are fairly healthy they are constantly rotating.....not able to that this year.

Completely agree with your assessment of smash mouth.  I believe if you are only going to have 3-4 base.... the DEs should be at least 250 lbs and the nose should be at least 290.  Having a cupboard full of quick small LBs does not get it done with smash mouth.  Right before Donnell got hurt in the misery st game , I happened to be watching him.....he went right off the backside of tank to fill a gap.....he was met there by a pulling OL....Donnell lit him up!!!!  Nearly put him on his ass ....instead he just knocked him back 5-6 yards and made the tackle.  That's what they are missing this year.   Nobody left has the size and or attitude to make people move 

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Just sayin'...........

Spot on. There is a discrepancy. In defense of the S&C staff, a lot of the players recruited by Bubba come out of high school way behind the eight ball, so to speak. Bubba and his staff may have to just start by recruiting more physical players. 

In addition to strength and conditioning.  UND needs to find the $$$ for a nutrition program. Many D1 schools provide protein shakes, and other food in the athletic facility year round for their players to attain and maintain weight. Also, a point to note is, UND requires and pressures kids to stay in town for most of the summer. I say let the kids go home, get some home cooking in them and set measurable strength and conditioning goals that they will be tested on in July when they return. Many kids stay in town working full-time jobs just to pay rent which doesn't give them much time to workout and develop their bodies.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

In addition to strength and conditioning.  UND needs to find the $$$ for a nutrition program. Many D1 schools provide protein shakes, and other food in the athletic facility year round for their players to attain and maintain weight. Also, a point to note is, UND requires and pressures kids to stay in town for most of the summer. I say let the kids go home, get some home cooking in them and set measurable strength and conditioning goals that they will be tested on in July when they return. Many kids stay in town working full-time jobs just to pay rent which doesn't give them much time to workout and develop their bodies.

I agree with the first part of your statement. The second is wrong. Guys need to be in town working out as a team. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Just sayin'...........

Even though our guys are young, at certain positions I question the body types we have out there. Some of our DEs look like LBs. They need to add 20lbs minimum basically across the board. Our OLBs are a bunch of converted safeties with the exception of Haas and Lawrence. Even those guys could use a good 20 lbs. Haas has the frame to carry 250 no problem. ILBs are a little better with Rodgers, Larson, and Hunt. Rastas needs to add at least 30lbs. Our safeties are smallish as well. Again, 20 lbs for most of them. At corner the size of most of our guys is ok but they either need to get stronger or tougher. OLB and DE are the two biggest size concerns for me.