SiouxSports.com Forum

Soccer

MDtoGF

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The very least they could is put up a fence.  I've been to a few soccer games back when I was a student and watching them run out into the street was slightly ridiculous. 

There is a fence on the columbia side. The south end has bushes and trees and balls never enter road that way. 

The IPF field is shy of being regulation size according to a teeet this morning by UND soccer,  due to track cutting the corners of endzonre i believe. Many north central D1 schools play on turf. 

The NCAA only allows certain artificial surfaces to be used for soccer.
Some (like the old, flat "magic carpet") allow the ball to roll forever like it's on asphalt.
Others (like the new more grass-like rubber infill) are better in that they play much more like you're on natural grass.  

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The women’s World Cup had games on turf in Canada.

The turf I played on the ball would bounce higher then normal and the ball had more pace on it. The turf I've seen at Memorial is like what I played on, it works but not ideal. The turf used now is more like grass. I'm not sure if UND is using the turf that the NFL is using or not.

Just now, cberkas said:

The turf I played on the ball would bounce higher then normal and the ball had more pace on it. The turf I've seen at Memorial is like what I played on, it works but not ideal. The turf used now is more like grass. I'm not sure if UND is using the turf that the NFL is using or not.

A plus side to playing on the older style field turf is your touch needs to be on point and it teaches players to keep the ball on the ground. It's not as fun to slide tackle on though..... The turf at Memorial is over a decade old now. The stuff at the Alerus is the nice newer style. 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A plus side to playing on the older style field turf is your touch needs to be on point and it teaches players to keep the ball on the ground. It's not as fun to slide tackle on though..... The turf at Memorial is over a decade old now. The stuff at the Alerus is the nice newer style. 

The Alerus would be fine to play at, Memorial would get you more of a home field advantage.

• 1 year later...