SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: F'N Hawks vs Bobcats

geaux_sioux

9 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

Yes, possibly, I didn't see it replayed but it is normal for a few judgement calls to go against you in any game.  

True. But this team isn't currently able to overcome a 10-14 point swing at that point in the game. the 7 points off the board for the UND touchdown and the bogus call on Tank Harris that allowed MSU to continue a drive and get 7 instead of settling for a long field goal attempt. 21-0 on the scoreboard is a lot different than 14-7 or even 17-7. Not complaining about the poor calls as they happen in every game, just pointing out that in our current state we don't have the ability to overcome calls like those.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This one was a rub route and their dbs ran into each other. Pretty cut and dry blown call.

And momentum is important. We start ahead and like the other poster noted, the really bogus call on Tank doesn't occur, and maybe they get a bit desperate, play calling changes etc.

30 minutes ago, shep said:

And momentum is important. We start ahead and like the other poster noted, the really bogus call on Tank doesn't occur, and maybe they get a bit desperate, play calling changes etc.

Which is a problem. This years team has a glass jaw. They have shown no ability to hang in there and regroup. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Based on the hype I expected he'd see more time by now????

A sophomore who has barely seen the field the two previous years and is coming into a completely new system behind two juniors who were both all conference isn't seeing extensive playing time and you are confused? 

I'm not saying he won't contribute in the future and I think he has good potential but seems unfair to take shots and get some sort of strange satisfaction out of unrealistic expectations you chose to put on him or buy into.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Not trying to portray anything... I expected JJ to play more because he's a local transfer from a B10 school. Big and fast. Maybe he'll get in more and more, idk. Maybe he can play LB too... maybe he just isn't that good...

Derailed- f'n spell check.

We flawfully play a system on offense, don't use our talent, I have been critical of that.

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which is a problem. This years team has a glass jaw. They have shown no ability to hang in there are regroup. 

I feel like this is a huge problem.  Nobody seems to take the bull by the horns when the chips are down.  There is still time, but someone needs to get it going in the right direction and stop making excuses.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

So you think high school kids should be able to come on campus and immediately start performing at a high level? It doesn't work that way in any sport, especially FB. "Next man up" only works when you have built quality depth throughout the program and that doesn't happen overnight. Bubba and company are in this for the long haul and I believe our best days are ahead of us.

Except USD had true frosh OL kicking the crap out of UND's experienced and strength of the team DL.  So yes it isn't the norm but freshman that have been recruited and redshirted should be ready to go.  Or at least some of them should be ready to play at a high level.  

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How? We went from a TD to a blocked FG. That's a massive change in momentum.

Totally agree.  Obviously, we'll never know what difference it ultimately would have made, but it would have been a momentum-producing punch in MSU's gut for us vs. a deflating having nothing to show for what was an excellent opening drive.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

I thought the linebackers were the backbone of a 3-4 defense?

The LB's get the tackles but without the DL holding space and taking up blockers they suffer and both DL and LB are pretty bad right now.  

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, Longtime fan said:

Wrong!   It's should be pretty apparent that the D has always been there to bail out Rudy when he was busy on eBay or whatever else he is doing during the game.  The D can't bail out the offense this year do to injuries.   I guess all I'm saying is that it seems that Rudy is better on the World Wide Web then he is at that football thingy.  Proof is very much alve 

I think you win the biggest d bag fan award!  I get constructive criticism but you sir or mam are just an A hole.  Ban me if necessary, but internet assholes without a clue are just the worst.  After watching that game you still are going after the OC, that is crazy because he is way down the list of issues for this team right now. 

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Irish said:

Rudolph

So Brady has dropped a few passes this year, just like every WR on the team.  If you watched the play in which he made the MSU all conference LB miss after the catch you wouldn't or shouldn't have such and issue with the play.    

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, Longtime fan said:

Defensively speaking...injuries are the only problem.  If UND had Connor and Donnell and Cam and Noah at ILB and Deion and Evan at cb and Andre an Cole at safety they would be one of the top Ds on the fcs.   As it is...nope! 

No they wouldn't, the problems are much deeper than a handful of players.  The best LB's don't have a shot when the DL is getting pushed around and right up into them.  Yes those players would help but it wouldn't completely fix all the problems.  

10 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

Now you are grasping at straws.

That play is a huge kick in the balls to a team that was already struggling and needed some confidence.  I don't think you can say it made a difference in the outcome of the game but it was a big deal. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Disterhaupt was on a video in UNDSPORTS where he says "we're so close" to stopping MSU's offense.  He emphasized that the mistakes are getting closed.  Could that be reality?

Did the yotes recognize some tendency and took advantage of it and MSU followed through on the yotes tactics?

IMO they are close on some assignments, but a bigger problem overall is that when the linebackers are in the right spot they either can't make the play or the ball carrier gets another 2-5 yards after contact.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BigGame said:

I think you win the biggest d bag fan award!  I get constructive criticism but you sir or mam are just an A hole.  Ban me if necessary, but internet assholes without a clue are just the worst.  After watching that game you still are going after the OC, that is crazy because he is way down the list of issues for this team right now. 

Big game aka Rudolph 

No they wouldn't, the problems are much deeper than a handful of players.  The best LB's don't have a shot when the DL is getting pushed around and right up into them.  Yes those players would help but it wouldn't completely fix all the problems.  

This is basically the same dline that won the Big Sky last season.  They don't seem to be making plays either.  

He's still the top of the list..... unfortunately some other coaches decided they want to join him on the list after the past 2 weeks.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:49 PM, BigGame said:

Can you fill us in as to what the deeper concerns outside of injuries are? 

Of the injuries that I mentioned .. two already garnered All American status while one (Donnell) will garner all American before he graduates.  All eight would of been in the two deep. 

You say the best linebackers don't have a shot when the front gets pushed? Remember ratelle and taj??  They had the exact front, minus Noah, that this year has, but when the front was basically freshman.  So yes, the best backers do make a difference...a massive difference.   Connor was a capt as a jun for a reason....he was highly intelligent and the qb of the D.  He made the reads and called the plays. With Connor and Donnell you have experienced 230lb backers instead of inexperienced 200 lbs.

Losing Cole and Deion speaks for itself.  Evan being the fastest player on the team was just turning the corner on the coverage skills he lacked as a true fresh.

Defensively up front , Tank does his job by typically occupying two OL.  That allows one LB to watch the gaps inside. Having Connor and Donnell would have made a big difference with the wear and tear inside. Having the offense go three and out puts a ton of pressure on the light backers UND has now. The TOP is being dominated by the opposing teams this year, that wears on the lightweight inexperienced backers and D in general 

Is the D perfect ...no!  But the injuries are the reason why they are failing.

54 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO they are close on some assignments, but a bigger problem overall is that when the linebackers are in the right spot they either can't make the play or the ball carrier gets another 2-5 yards after contact.

Can't tackle from your knees.  Fundamentals are not sharp right now.  

I'm still here so hoping I don't get labeled a bandwagon fan:lol:. This is rough to say the least. Going into the season I thought we could handle losing Deon due to some decent depth in the secondary. Then the rest of the team started dropping and the perfect storm ensued. My goal now is to finish 6-5 and keep it respectable. This is not the team I watched in Utah and I hope others understand that. I will be watching every week. I have faith in most of the staff and I hope these players dig deep and take a long look in the mirror.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Big game aka Rudolph 

Actually never even met the guy as I haven't lived in the area for a long time.  You are just a d-bag that can't seem to get past one thing which isn't even close to the biggest issue right now.  I tend to have coaches backs more often than not because most fans are clueless about what actually goes on beyond game day.  

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Actually never even met the guy as I haven't lived in the area for a long time.  You are just a d-bag that can't seem to get past one thing which isn't even close to the biggest issue right now.  I tend to have coaches backs more often than not because most fans are clueless about what actually goes on beyond game day.  

You're right, Rudolph is a masterful  OC...my bad.