SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: F'N Hawks vs Bobcats

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

I know we have a lot of injuries on D but to me the backups just look too small.  I did a little fact checking to see how our underclassman stack up in size to NDSU's underclassman.  NDSU is the measuring stick, like it or not.  I only calculated DL and LB that are RSFR, FR, and SO.  Here is the result:

NDSU LB's average 6'1" and 213.5 lbs....UND 6-1 3/4" and 204.6 lbs.

NDSU DL averages 6'3" and 257 lbs...UND 6-3 1/3" and 243.3 lbs.

There is an modest size advantage in favor of NDSU.  This is not to say that size is everything...defensive schemes may dictate a different type of player (speed vs size).  I will leave this to others to debate...are we getting the size we desire on defense the last few recruiting years?  Are we recruiting the depth up front on D to be where we need to be?

Different defenses too. They have more DTs on their roster and we have more LBs. 

That 10 lb difference doesn't sound like much for the LBs but that adding 10 lbs of muscle makes massive difference in strength. I think our DL is undersized by about 20 lbs per guy.

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Different defenses too. They have more DTs on their roster and we have more LBs. 

That 10 lb difference doesn't sound like much for the LBs but that adding 10 lbs of muscle makes massive difference in strength. I think our DL is undersized by about 20 lbs per guy.

I used to think that Bubba was recruiting successively stronger classes - mainly linemen - who would soon start pushing the starters.  Now I'm not so sure we are improving our recruiting classes.  If we are going to play smash face we need to be sure it isn't our faces getting smashed.  I thought by year 4 we would have some tough, skilled, strong youngsters just waiting to get their chance.  

45 minutes ago, Irish said:

I used to think that Bubba was recruiting successively stronger classes - mainly linemen - who would soon start pushing the starters.  Now I'm not so sure we are improving our recruiting classes.  If we are going to play smash face we need to be sure it isn't our faces getting smashed.  I thought by year 4 we would have some tough, skilled, strong youngsters just waiting to get their chance.  

I agree with what you say.  This is Bubba's third class playing right now and we are getting progressively worse.    I sorta expected this a couple years ago, but Bubba seemed to do better with the  Muss recruits.   I don't have the answer, but I'm not sure the coaches do either.

23 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, Studs has been good at times and this is not all on him.  However it seems so many times we play a team with an amazing QB that is making plays all over the place, why can't we ever get a difference makers as a QB instead of a game manager.   If we just swapped QB's in this game alone.....we might be ahead or at least tied.  Their QB has single handedly beat us with his great runs and has had some nice passes.  Our D has made a little of that easy for him though, but he is quick and not easy to tackle. 

I've had similar thoughts. 

While other teams are out there recruiting new QB's constantly and getting transfers. UND might have thought they were good there and already had their guy. And focused more on other key positions that could have let a "difference maker" QB slip away.  

It's become increasingly clear to be an elite FCS team you need a QB that can constantly "make plays" and bail out an offense.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

well we lost by a little more than that margin

They also had the opening kickoff TD called back - not saying it shouldn't have been but what the hell are we doing on special teams again.  Blocked field goal also.  Special teams has been a weakness all season, mostly due to lack of game and assignment discipline.

50 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I've had similar thoughts. 

While other teams are out there recruiting new QB's constantly and getting transfers. UND might have thought they were good there and already had their guy. And focused more on other key positions that could have let a "difference maker" QB slip away.  

It's become increasingly clear to be an elite FCS team you need a QB that can constantly "make plays" and bail out an offense.

That is true at any level

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

I'll get blasted for this but I'll say it anyways. I've never understood the hype around this team.

1. In my assessment it was questionable for the 2016 team to receive a playoff bye ranking, only beating 4 teams with a winning record. Those records 7-4, 7-4, 6-5, and 6-5. I don't think any of those teams made the playoffs. Last year's schedule was soft and the early exit (not neccesarily the choking fashion they lost) was predictable. 

2. This year's schedule is much stronger than last year's (I still thought 2-2 at this point). I thought 6-5, 7-4 would be about where they'd finish since the big sky is weak. 

I did not expect the 2017 team to get repeatedly embarrassed like this...

I don't disagree with your post I just don't think you are taking into account the degree nor depth of the injuries to this years team.

2016 team was a play away from making it into the national semi finals.

why would there not be hype?

10 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don't disagree with your post I just don't think you are taking into account the degree nor depth of the injuries to this years team.

2016 team was a play away from making it into the national semi finals.

What?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish said:

They also had the opening kickoff TD called back - not saying it shouldn't have been but what the hell are we doing on special teams again.  Blocked field goal also.  Special teams has been a weakness all season, mostly due to lack of game and assignment discipline.

It surprises me that this Bubba coached team is making the undisciplined type of miscues that nullify scores and yards.  It seems to be more than lack of momentum

37 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Based on the hype I expected he'd see more time by now????

You seem really concerned about hype, which doesn't show up on the scoreboard or stat book.  A derailed season and lack of use of an RB doesn't make you the genius you are trying to portray.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

I'll get blasted for this but I'll say it anyways. I've never understood the hype around this team.

1. In my assessment it was questionable for the 2016 team to receive a playoff bye ranking, only beating 4 teams with a winning record. Those records 7-4, 7-4, 6-5, and 6-5. I don't think any of those teams made the playoffs. Last year's schedule was soft and the early exit (not neccesarily the choking fashion they lost) was predictable. 

2. This year's schedule is much stronger than last year's (I still thought 2-2 at this point). I thought 6-5, 7-4 would be about where they'd finish since the big sky is weak. 

I did not expect the 2017 team to get repeatedly embarrassed like this...

I'm not gonna blast you.  I wondered about the hype to at the start of the season.  I wanted to see something first and after the Utah game I thought we were allright.  Your last line in your post is where we're all at