SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: F'N Hawks vs Bobcats

geaux_sioux

Honest question........

Is the strength and conditioning program up to par?  Seems like there are many players in this program that oft injured, undersized, and/or overmatched.

Reyes is injured for the 4th consecutive season.  He's a nice player but is either unlucky or very brittle.

• Upvote 1

Nothing has changed with this team.  The offensive coordinator (Rudolph) is really bad.  The defense is certainly beat up but I agree with another poster who talks about the lack of depth.  This is a program with good old Bubba that is recruiting at a JC level to try and win "today", not building for the long haul.  Its amazing that the program South of Grand Forks has built a football program that is superior in every way to the Sioux. Talk all you want about players, injuries......this coaching staff is mediocre at best. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, and to answer your question about the strength and conditioning program.....it's a joke unless you like to squat, power clean, and snatch. There is no core work, he has RB's and WR's lifting heavy and I think hurting team speed.  There are very few dynamic lifts and very little position specific lifting. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Kap said:

Anybody critical of Studsrud is an idiot. How would their QB doing under Rudolph?

There is no one including Studsrud who isn't responsible for what happened these last two games. Coaches and players. He didn't lose this game for us today. The first drive and TD was what he is capable of.  The phantom offensive interference was a huge play that took away a beautiful TD pass.  On the other hand, the clock management at the end of the half was not what you expect from a senior QB or our coaches. The dropped passes, poor throws, missed assignments, missed blocks, missed tackles  were all part of it.  What we don't need is blaming one or two guys or blaming everyone but Studsrud.  Someone who sees today differently than you isn't necessarily an idiot.  They may be a bit more  objective.

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Honest question........

Is the strength and conditioning program up to par?  Seems like there are many players in this program that oft injured, undersized, and/or overmatched.

Reyes is injured for the 4th consecutive season.  He's a nice player but is either unlucky or very brittle.

Do strength coaches go to clinics? No $ in budget  for that or for rings for our athletes. No construction being done on Canpus. Bulldozing is what you see at UND. No $ state is broke. While literally billions being spent at NDSU and around Fargo. No $ are you kidding. While we never question our No. Dak. leaders the good guys.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

True ... but why are the backups so undersized? Perhaps Bubba and Schmidt shouldn't recruit players that may take 3 or 4 years to build up to playing weight. I think what we are seeing with the injuries is certainly meaningful, but we are also seeing some major recruiting flaws along the way, also. Need better 2nd string guys to step in and also challange and compete. Schematics with the backup players hasn't blown anyone out of the water, either. 

All in all, the players that UND has received injuries to should not turn UND from the #1 Big Sky Conference team to a team that gets blown out at home. That, my friends, also includes holes in recruiting and piss poor schematics and game management. 

I am with ya-

Cam Hunt, Dijon Murray, I wonder if these guys even exist, never seen them on the field.  I think we overly stacked the d-line and have missed on LBs, I have stated my frustration on this prior.

We might have a fatal flaw with our systems, both O and D are overly complex, on a 1 to 10 scale in college FB we are in the 8-9 range.  Yes, it's hard to believe our offense is complex!!  College football has trended towards simple, mismatches, read plays, get your best player(s) the ball in space while we are flipping 6 guys around pre snap to run a toss play out of pro-I.  On defense, our system can be a work of art but again, so complex at times we mentally bog down, play hesitant, and make it tough for a newby.

Tasty tidbit -   My SU source, told me in one of their Natty games, their D called 3 defensive calls all game, disguised a little and just play.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I am with ya-

Cam Hunt, Dijon Murray, I wonder if these guys even exist, never seen them on the field.  I think we overly stacked the d-line and have missed on LBs, I have stated my frustration on this prior.

We might have a fatal flaw with our systems, both O and D are overly complex, on a 1 to 10 scale in college FB we are in the 8-9 range.  Yes, it's hard to believe our offense is complex!!  College football has trended towards simple, mismatches, read plays, get your best player(s) the ball in space while we are flipping 6 guys around pre snap to run a toss play out of pro-I.  On defense, our system can be a work of art but again, so complex at times we mentally bog down, play hesitant, and make it tough for a newby.

Tasty tidbit -   My SU source, told me in one of their Natty games, their D called 3 defensive calls all game, disguised a little and just play.

I remember a couple of years ago Wade Philips talked about how one year he went way too complex with his defense. The next year with basically the same personnel he simplifies everything and they were all of a sudden flying around and dominating. You can't play fast when thinking.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I am with ya-

Maybe Rudy is too brilliant for the talent at UND..........I hear Sabin might be calling.

To your last point.......pretty easy when you have 11 studs on the field to just say "see ball...find ball" and turn them loose.

6 hours ago, moser53 said:

Do strength coaches go to clinics? No $ in budget  for that or for rings for our athletes. No construction being done on Canpus. Bulldozing is what you see at UND. No $ state is broke. While literally billions being spent at NDSU and around Fargo. No $ are you kidding. While we never question our No. Dak. leaders the good guys.

What billions are being spent at NDSU?

7 hours ago, moser53 said:

What are you babbling about?

I know we have a lot of injuries on D but to me the backups just look too small.  I did a little fact checking to see how our underclassman stack up in size to NDSU's underclassman.  NDSU is the measuring stick, like it or not.  I only calculated DL and LB that are RSFR, FR, and SO.  Here is the result:

NDSU LB's average 6'1" and 213.5 lbs....UND 6-1 3/4" and 204.6 lbs.

NDSU DL averages 6'3" and 257 lbs...UND 6-3 1/3" and 243.3 lbs.

There is an modest size advantage in favor of NDSU.  This is not to say that size is everything...defensive schemes may dictate a different type of player (speed vs size).  I will leave this to others to debate...are we getting the size we desire on defense the last few recruiting years?  Are we recruiting the depth up front on D to be where we need to be?