SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana State Predictions

Midwestern Hawk

Before last weeks debacle at USD, I would have thought UND would be favored for a solid win vs MSU.  Now I am not so sure.  Was the USD game an aberration caused by overconfidence on the part of the team and the staff?   Did it expose some flaws in the team, maybe or maybe not caused by injuries?  Was the staff a little lax in the preparation of the team?

At this point I vote that last Saturday was the 'perfect storm' caused by overconfidence, injuries, and running into a really 'hot' opponent with a chip on its shoulder that played a great game.  I think Schmidt will have a better plan to deal with a depleted defense and MSU will score less than 24.  I am sure Rudy(encouraged by Bubba) will be putting together a game plan to control the clock and make it easier for the defense.  Taubenheim needs to be better with his kicks and Santiago needs to have more good returns.  

I say Olivera has another big game vs MSU and we run for 250 plus as a team.  Studsrud and the receivers have a better game and he passes for 200 plus.  Defense has a td and finds a way to stop Murray.  No more than 5 penalties and we convert 70% on third down.  UND 27-21.

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Before last weeks debacle at USD, I would have thought UND would be favored for a solid win vs MSU.  Now I am not so sure.  Was the USD game an aberration caused by overconfidence on the part of the team and the staff?   Did it expose some flaws in the team, maybe or maybe not caused by injuries?  Was the staff a little lax in the preparation of the team?

At this point I vote that last Saturday was the 'perfect storm' caused by overconfidence, injuries, and running into a really 'hot' opponent with a chip on its shoulder that played a great game. 

I do agree with everything you said, but right now I find it hard to practice what I've preached, which was along the lines of what you said.

I just can't picture UND winning against anybody right now. Montana State with more points than UND.

Until I see us properly use our weapons on offense and mix up controlling the ball and taking some shots, I don't believe it's a reality.  I think the USD game gives us 2 losses with injuries and exposure on how to attack us.  We will play hard but we are banged up while the Bobcats are coming off a bye week.  30-27 Cats.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Until I see us properly use our weapons on offense and mix up controlling the ball and taking some shots, I don't believe it's a reality.  I think the USD game gives us 2 losses with injuries and exposure on how to attack us.  We will play hard but we are banged up while the Bobcats are coming off a bye week.  30-27 Cats.

Totally forgot about Montana State coming off a bye week, I don't think anything fires me up as much as for the 2nd year in a row UND not having a bye until the last week of the year. How many times this year will UND play a team coming off a bye week? The most ludicrous thing that'll ever happen to the UND program.

I was reminded last week that I have no business predicting football games, but I am going to do it anyway. Since I tend to be wildly off, I'll say MSU 38 UND 17, which ought to increase the odds of a UND victory.

I did not do a prediction last week as that game scared me going into it.  The team will be much more focused this week and be able to overcome the injuries at home, especially if some of those questionable guys play, which it sounds like they will.  

UND wins 27-24

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

No matter how creative an OC is at any level, there aren't many ways to properly use your weapons when you have absolutely ZERO control of the line of scrimmage. 

With a healthy UND, even after the momentum killer last weekend I would take UND by 10+ but I have a bad feeling about this game. I think the cats control the line on both sides of the ball and we see a 37-24 loss. Hopefully UND gets more guys back before next weekend so they can start an upturn in the season and hold onto that thread of a playoff spot. 

My hopefully prediction is that Izzy makes a big play.  It's now week 4....hopefully that is enough time for Rudy and coaches to figure out how to at least try and give one of your fastest guys on the team a chance to make a play.  Hell throw a fly pattern to him on 1st and 10.....I don't even care if you over throw it by 5 yards....just try it! 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

No matter how creative an OC is at any level, there aren't many ways to properly use your weapons when you have absolutely ZERO control of the line of scrimmage. 

Sure you can, you can slip screen, bubble screen, smoke, 3-step, max or heavy protect, roll the QB out.  Our O-line has enough juice that if we mix this stuff in with our best weapons we would see more success with our tradition run game.  In a sense, we kinda opened the pass up in order to run against Missouri St.

• Upvote 3