SiouxSports.com Forum

Moving On To The Bobcats

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Well it must be a good sign that the "On the ledge" mentally that permeates hockey after a bad loss has come to some of the football fans. 

I am in partial agreement with you. But it is important to note that it isn't really the loss to a good team in a tough environment that bothers people; it's the manner in which it occurred. Losing 45-7 is something people thought was in the past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tough to tell from TV but I didn't see anyone that looked pissed off and I didn't see anyone chew ass on the sideline against USD. Can anyone who was at the game confirm? Obviously we don't know what was said in the locker room at halftime but the way the team was playing someone should have stepped in after the first two series to wake everyone up.

Was at the game and didnt really see anyone that was trying to get everyone else going, more so a lot of dejected and tired guys out there.  After last year we should have known they were going to come out and try to punch us right in the face and we still didnt look ready for it. I think how we react to this game and play Saturday will be more telling of this team than last week. These are just my opinions and I obviously could have missed something. 

3 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Was at the game and didnt really see anyone that was trying to get everyone else going, more so a lot of dejected and tired guys out there.  After last year we should have known they were going to come out and try to punch us right in the face and we still didnt look ready for it. I think how we react to this game and play Saturday will be more telling of this team than last week. These are just my opinions and I obviously could have missed something. 

That's discouraging. Someone, doesn't have to only be one, needs to step up and be the asshole. Get in peoples' faces and piss them off. Being a nice guy off the field is good but being a nice guy on the field will get you steamrolled.

I was at the game and didn't see anything out of the ordinary or anything that would have depicted a lack of effort or leadership - obviously when you are getting the !@#$ kicked out of you the sidelines are going to be a little quiet. Doesn't mean there weren't conversations or leadership happening.  

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tough to tell from TV but I didn't see anyone that looked pissed off and I didn't see anyone chew ass on the sideline against USD. Can anyone who was at the game confirm? Obviously we don't know what was said in the locker room at halftime but the way the team was playing someone should have stepped in after the first two series to wake everyone up.

Had a front row seat. I was surprised at the lack of positive emotion. I was even more surprised they played the second half emotionally the same way. You can get your butt handed to you and still look good. Just my opinion. I do think this team will never let this happen again. 

I was also at the game and agree there did not appear from body language or actions to be much inspiration among the UND players. Someone else mentioned that the play early in the game in the USD redzone when UND had the ball on a 3rd and one but couldn't get a play off was very telling. Those were my exact thoughts at the time, as I raised my arms palms up and whispered WTF.

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I was at the game and didn't see anything out of the ordinary or anything that would have depicted a lack of effort or leadership - obviously when you are getting the !@#$ kicked out of you the sidelines are going to be a little quiet. Doesn't mean there weren't conversations or leadership happening.  

So USD will go undefeated? I wouldn't justify this lackluster effort with a "UND's leadership is fine, they just lost" statement. If USD ends up going 7-4, this loss is going to look even worse ... 

UND straight up botched this one, bad. Embarrassing and I'm not backing down from that; doesn't mean they can't rebound. 

MSU has a fairly solid run defense that came into form late last year.  MSU had a similar situation to UND last year in that we lost a bunch of starters on defense last year, mainly the DL.  At one point we were playing a converted 3rd string TE at DE, and played several true freshman.  Now we are truly fully healthy and this is a group that is much better against the run than the pass, as they don't really generate much of a pass rush.  

MSU defense has given up an average of 138 rushing yards per game in their last 4 game dating back to the last year.  Granted none of the teams, except for maybe UC Davis, really feature the run game (Griz, Wazzu, SDSU), but our defense has come a long ways since 2015.  UND is a completely different animal than any of those teams so we shall we how far we really have come in our run defense.

Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State at No. 17 North Dakota
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-montana-state-at-no-17-north-dakota/

In this episode, Colter Nuanez of Skyline Sports is joined by Grand Forks Herald North Dakota beat writer Tom Miller, North Dakota defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt, Montana State defensive coordinator Ty Gregorak, MSU offensive coordinator Brian Armstrong to break down the Big Sky Conference opener for the Bobcats at UND. Also included is Nuanez’s spot on UND 360 podcast with Kelly Howe breaking down the game.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2017 at 6:34 PM, LeaveNoDoubt said:

Speaking of punts. I do like that seibel isn't back there anymore, i believe they put Reyes back there and tell him just fair catch it no matter what, that's what it looked like Saturday. As of our end of kicking the ball how do you think Dussold is doing? Think it's time to give Meindel a chance imo

Like almost everyone else on the team, Dussold did not have a good game at USD. I thought he was only okay vs. Missouri State. His best game was at Utah. Seems to get hang time, but not much for distance. That's just an impression based on watching the games, not looking at stats. Some of the punts last week got significant yards after bouncing on the turf, so the stats aren't necessarily the best indicator. If it doesn't improve this week it's time to give Meindel a shot, even if it's just for Dussold's motivation.

• Upvote 1