SiouxSports.com Forum

Moving On To The Bobcats

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

50-50 call.  He did unds "dirty" work...no one has replaced him with that. Studs dump down and over the middle route runner.   But he also scared the hell out of me as a PR.  Said a little prayer everytine the opposing team had to punt. 

Yea I can do without him ever returning a punt again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

There is no way the staff is going to panic the way some are, they will stay the course and play the men they have. Injuries suck but to think they would consider changing the entire defense is crazy. But it makes for a conversation. 

We're all just grasping - I think part of the Bubba deal is not that he win everything, but no more abject humiliations.  After the last 10 years coupled with Bison success, I'm full up.

12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

There is no way the staff is going to panic the way some are, they will stay the course and play the men they have. Injuries suck but to think they would consider changing the entire defense is crazy. But it makes for a conversation. 

Not change, wrinkle with personnel was a suggestion.  We won't stop anyone with opposing TEs putting our small backers on ice skates.

1 minute ago, old school said:

To late to change the defense. Work with what we've got.  Tweek we know  our linebackers are undersized. Can't ask them to play 65 snaps a game taking on 300 pound lineman and be on special teams.   Maybe replace the starting linebackers on special teams.   it's a start 

How does this help against a team going jumbo on us and pounding the rock down our throat? 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

How does this help against a team going jumbo on us and pounding the rock down our throat? 

DL getting penetration wil help.  Against USD they did ok holding the line but we need them to get into the backfield.  Against USD the RB and QB were getting to the line of scrimmage before being contacted and then falling forward for a gain of 3-4 minimum.  

Also, maybe reduce the DL down to church we the "B gap" and let the ILBs cover outside.  Not ideal for a pass rush and contain but I feel better trying to get a team to 2nd and 8 or 9 vs 2nd and 5 every series like USD was.  

1 hour ago, KWCAT said:

Looking forward to the trip.

Not sure what to expect from either team. I do think my Cats are trending up. Will find out in a couple of days.

I know the feeling, not sure what we will see from UND......I expect they will play hard!!

If I were in charge, our 1st offensive set would include 1 TE,  Wanzak and Santiago out wide, Brady at HB, JJ at FB.  Choose your poison.

Our defense has to be prepped for more beef up front, whatever form that may be.

• Like 1

UND needs to work hard and prepare with good focus. If they execute in front of the home crowd on Saturday, they will get a much needed win and bring the conference record to 1 - 0. What happened last Saturday is still unfathomable to me, as I feel it's still some nightmare distinct from reality. It really will tarnish this season unless Bubba's squad can do a 180 and refocus. Injuries are part of the game; depth is important to overcome them and Bubba has had 4 recruiting seasons to try create it. Oh well, if UND plays hard and executes, they can get back on track this Saturday. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who's on the field. If they play with zero heart, zero desire, and zero focus, they will get killed.

That is one of the responsibilities of the team Captains and Seniors.  We should never be beaten because of lack of effort.  We aren't good enough to have the mental errors and penalties we had last week.  Yes the coaches need to prepare the players but the Captains are interacting with teammates on and off of the field and need to be part of the solution in getting the team ready.  If we aren't ready to play we will  struggle no matter who we have on the field.

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That is one of the responsibilities of the team Captains and Seniors.  We should never be beaten because of lack of effort.  We aren't good enough to have the mental errors and penalties we had last week.  Yes the coaches need to prepare the players but the Captains are interacting with teammates on and off of the field and need to be part of the solution in getting the team ready.  If we aren't ready to play we will  struggle no matter who we have on the field.

Tough to tell from TV but I didn't see anyone that looked pissed off and I didn't see anyone chew ass on the sideline against USD. Can anyone who was at the game confirm? Obviously we don't know what was said in the locker room at halftime but the way the team was playing someone should have stepped in after the first two series to wake everyone up.

The Bobcats lost to Chadron State at home 35-24, UC Davis 45-0 (owe), and EWU 19-10 in 2005 and still made the playoffs.  We beat Colorado, lost those 3 games in a row all at home, then won 6 of our next 7 and somehow made the playoffs and beat Furman in a 1st round home game.  This was in 2005 before the field expanded to 24.  So certainly all is not lost.

That being said, I'm looking for a strong showing from my Bobcats.  Our defensive strong suit is against the run, and our passing defense has improved a little bit although we still lack a solid pass rush.  If we can contain the two headed monster that is the UND backfield, and give our offense some chances to move the ball, I like our chances.  

It remains to be seen whether that 2nd half showing against SDSU was truly a coming out party for QB Chris Murray, or was SDSU just off and we took them by surprise.  One thing is for certain, the Cats need to find a running game outside of Murray.  I expect you'll see a fair amount of Troy Andersen, a 6'3 220 freshman who runs a 10.88 100 meter.  He had a few nice runs against Washington State but suffered a bit of a sprain and only played 1 snap as far as I can remember against SDSU.  He is fully healthy, but he isn't going to get double digit carries or anything.  We are still trying to see who can run the ball, so far no one has separated themselves.  Our OLine is simply not creating holes, and teams stuff the box to try and force Murray to pass.  Now that Murray may have finally found a passing game, it will be interested to see how that affects opposing team's defensive schemes, and if that opens up our running game at all.  

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

South Dakota is not 38 points better than UND. That is the most discouraging thing; UND lost due to a lack of effort, focus, and leadership (the very things Bubba said his teams would always exhibit). The leaders of UND football, including the coaches and team captains, need to step up. They backed down against USD. Winning teams with a winner's mentality do not allow such games to get out of hand like that.  I don't see this year ending with much of a record above 0.500 if something doesn't change from an intangible perspective. Very disappointing ... 

• Upvote 2

It's time to let the Moose Loose again this weekend.......

MOOSE GETS LOOSE AGAINST BOBCATS
In two career games against Montana State,  junior running back Brady Oliveira has rushed for 338 yards and three touchdowns. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native is averaging 9.9 ypc and has two of his six career 100-yard rushing games against the Bobcats. As a freshman, Oliveira rushed for a career-high 171 yards in a 44-38 win over MSU and he added 167 yards and a 60-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown in last year’s 17-15 win in Bozeman.

• Upvote 1