SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs USD

Nodak78

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

..........so you're saying UND is in trouble as we move to the MVC starting next season?

Not until 2020, but they need to improve regardless. UND was able to move the ball in the Big Sky last year with what was basically the same O-Line. With injuries, we'll be very young for the next few weeks, so they may take time to gel. 

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

I know that comment makes you feel better but seriously. What are the odds that  UND grads own more farm ranches than NDSU grads? Seriously?

Low, but I'd rather own farm/ranch land within ND in addition to obtaining MBA, CPL, M.D., or J.D. training at UND than go to NDSU and give away a lot of money for an education that changes nothing in terms of land ownership. Most farmers are generational/family and require zero schooling in agriculture. Agronomy and agriculture/mechanical engineering are minor exceptions, although they are Ag services and not agriculture itself, so the "Own the Farm versus Farming" adage works nicely in such cases. Just my lifelong opinion as I've lived through practical experience with this. I wouldn't expect you to agree, as NDSU needs to maintain maximal influence for your own personal satisfaction. In my opinion, UND is far more essential to the state of ND than NDSU is; of course, interchangeability does exist between the two universities, obviously. I digress.

4 hours ago, homer said:

With the youth at LB I think there is plenty to learn

I know . . . I was kinda joking.  But can you imagine how much time it'll take to go over that film?

Almost better to just spend the time game planning for the Bobcats (as it seemed they hadn't game planned for the 'Yotes at all).

12 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Everyone on that bus ride Saturday should deserves criticism.....although Santiago sounded like he was the only one with a care.

Big difference between Schmitty and Rudolph.

Schmitty is competent and knows his $#%^.  UNDs D has been the backbone to UNDs success since the bubba hire.  Not always perfect but incredibly improved since muss days. Injuries/defections at one position (ILB) have taken a massive toll this year.  USD exposed that weakness. 

Rudolph on the other hand, is busy in the press box trying to catch Pokémons since his hire.  

And you prove my point, one is untouchable and the other is apparently catching pokemon.  

• Upvote 1

https://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/09/17/und-usd-postgame-everybody-ok/

"I think the biggest takeaway from Saturday against USD, though, might be an alarming reminder of how far UND needs to go to be ready for the Missouri Valley Football Conference in 2020."

This sentiment is going to drive me crazy. UND played possibly the worst game they could have played, period. I don't really know what to say.

Well, UND finally gave it's critics the one game they've been waiting for the last few seasons, just a complete collapse on all facets, They are going to take it and use it for everything it's worth. Hopefully it's a wake-up call, not a sign of things to come.

DL is much too talented to get pushed around like they did. That made an undersized and inexperienced linebacking corp's job even harder and they couldn't step up either. Secondary played too far off giving up easy first downs and blew at least 2 or 3 coverages that went for big plays. Offense never got in a rhythm and decided to jump offsides when they did manage to get into 3rd and short. Dropped passes and missed WR's were inexcusable and the OL was getting pushed around. Missed kicks and poor punts were just the cherry on top of what was a complete flop.

Most of the mistakes are fixable, but will likely mean either swapping a few players around or adjusting the game plan. Injuries are mounting up and it's still next guy up, even if he might not be ready, time to learn on the job. Season is far from over, but room for error is shrinking rapidly. Changing that starts on Saturday against Montana State.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well, UND finally gave it's critics the one game they've been waiting for the last few seasons, just a complete collapse on all facets, They are going to take it and use it for everything it's worth. Hopefully it's a wake-up call, not a sign of things to come.

DL is much too talented to get pushed around like they did. That made an undersized and inexperienced linebacking corp's job even harder and they couldn't step up either. Secondary played too far off giving up easy first downs and blew at least 2 or 3 coverages that went for big plays. Offense never got in a rhythm and decided to jump offsides when they did manage to get into 3rd and short. Dropped passes and missed WR's were inexcusable and the OL was getting pushed around. Missed kicks and poor punts were just the cherry on top of what was a complete flop.

Most of the mistakes are fixable, but will likely mean either swapping a few players around or adjusting the game plan. Injuries are mounting up and it's still next guy up, even if he might not be ready, time to learn on the job. Season is far from over, but room for error is shrinking rapidly. Changing that starts on Saturday against Montana State.

Changing that hopefully started in the locker room immediately after the game, so that they're ready to show they've made changes on Saturday against Montana State.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Untouchable...no.  Just not yet warranted.  

At USD we came out really flat for some reason, offense was horrible, the defense was horrible, and every time something good happened we would shot ourselves in the foot with a penalty.   Those are all things that can and I am confident will be rectified come Saturday.  I am worried about the injuries at OL and ILB.   USD was able to gash us up the middle seemingly at will on Saturday.  The reality is that Saturday we had a converted 205lb OLB, a 195 lb RFR walk-on, an FBS drop-down running back, and a true walk-on soph in playing ILB.  I  think that is a tall order even for Schmidt to work with in a weeks time.  I have no idea if and when Rodgers or Hunt or Larson will be back. When they are back, neither Hunt nor Larson have ever played a down of college football and a year ago Larson was playing high school football. 

We need to patch together the best run blocking line on Saturday, get an early lead and then control the clock for 35-40 minutes.  If we do that we will win.  If the defense is out on the field more than 30 minutes it will be really tough to win.

46 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

At USD we came out really flat for some reason, offense was horrible, the defense was horrible, and every time something good happened we would shot ourselves in the foot with a penalty.   Those are all things that can and I am confident will be rectified come Saturday.  I am worried about the injuries at OL and ILB.   USD was able to gash us up the middle seemingly at will on Saturday.  The reality is that Saturday we had a converted 205lb OLB, a 195 lb RFR walk-on, an FBS drop-down running back, and a true walk-on soph in playing ILB.  I  think that is a tall order even for Schmidt to work with in a weeks time.  I have no idea if and when Rodgers or Hunt or Larson will be back. When they are back, neither Hunt nor Larson have ever played a down of college football and a year ago Larson was playing high school football. 

We need to patch together the best run blocking line on Saturday, get an early lead and then control the clock for 35-40 minutes.  If we do that we will win.  If the defense is out on the field more than 30 minutes it will be really tough to win.

And create some turnovers.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Low, but I'd rather own farm/ranch land within ND in addition to obtaining MBA, CPL, M.D., or J.D. training at UND than go to NDSU and give away a lot of money for an education that changes nothing in terms of land ownership. Most farmers are generational/family and require zero schooling in agriculture. Agronomy and agriculture/mechanical engineering are minor exceptions, although they are Ag services and not agriculture itself, so the "Own the Farm versus Farming" adage works nicely in such cases. Just my lifelong opinion as I've lived through practical experience with this. I wouldn't expect you to agree, as NDSU needs to maintain maximal influence for your own personal satisfaction. In my opinion, UND is far more essential to the state of ND than NDSU is; of course, interchangeability does exist between the two universities, obviously. I digress.

I own both the UND degree and the farmland. It's just a slam not intended to be analyzed. How many farms are owned by someone named Old McDonald? 

Been saving my thoughts. Wanted to digest that appalling excuse for a game first.

So, USD and Streveler were as advertised, and there fans should certainly be excited this season. Credit where credit is due. They avenged last year, they started 3-0, they made a complete statement with that win.

That being said, they got UND in one of UND's worst games in the past few years. Losing a game is one thing, but getting blown apart, having that many mental mistakes, that many dumb penalties, that many blown coverage, is completely unacceptable. USD and Misery St, are completely different levels of competition, BUT UND played like a completely different team. I doubt we beat Drake of Mississippi Valley State playing like that. I could not believe how bad some of the secondary coverage was, and nobody seemed to make any adjustments. At least not until the game was way out of hand. Then again, that is what Streveler gives you, try to stop him running and he can beat you with his arm.

As for the offense (or lack of offense), there was plenty of blame to go around. Unfortunately, we needed Studs to have a monster game, and he looked like the Studs of early last year. I wasn't impressed with a lot of Rudolph's calls, the timing of some of the calls, or the fact that he didn't really make any adjustments until it was too late; Then again, even if he had made some changes, nobody seemed to be executing anyway. But for the love of God, can we stop trying the QB sneak? Never works, just wastes a down. The only way I want to see Keaton running is if he is flushed from the pocket and there is space.

Throw the tape away, turn the page, move onto conference play, and focus on the Big Sky. The Bobcats will be licking their chops with what they saw this weekend. Then again, the game will be in GF, I doubt UND could replicate that poor of a performance if they tried, and USD is better than Mt St (though they did challenge the bunnies).

Congrats to the Yotes, they earned that win, and clobbered us. Hope they make some noise in the Valley this year. Time for UND to get their heads set for next weekend. Its all about what we do going forward now.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

So how for real is USD? Will they maintain this momentum or will they fall apart as the season progresses? 

You have to give them a lot of credit because they're obviously a solid team all around and they were far better prepared on Saturday than UND was. But keep in mind, that when a game snowballs like that the team on top usually appears to be far superior to what they actually are. It would be deceiving to compare their scores from here on out.

I see USD with a playoff spot, but they'll drop a game or two in their conference. I dread the day when NDSU plays them because I think a team like NDSU will match up well with them and will probably beat them at their own game. But with their style I also can see them beating teams like SDSU and JMU. And along those lines I see a team like NDSU losing to teams like SDSU and JMU this season. That's what makes football so fun.

We saw USD at their best, and we saw UND at their worst. If UND and USD played 10 times I still have USD winning 9 times, but the worst score of the 9 would be 45-7. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You have to give them a lot of credit because they're obviously a solid team all around and they were far better prepared on Saturday than UND was. But keep in mind, that when a game snowballs like that the team on top usually appears to be far superior to what they actually are. It would be deceiving to compare their scores from here on out.

I see USD with a playoff spot, but they'll drop a game or two in their conference. I dread the day when NDSU plays them because I think a team like NDSU will match up well with them and will probably beat them at their own game. But with their style I also can see them beating teams like SDSU and JMU. And along those lines I see a team like NDSU losing to teams like SDSU and JMU this season. That's what makes football so fun.

We saw USD at their best, and we saw UND at their worst. If UND and USD played 10 times I still have USD winning 9 times, but the worst score of the 9 would be 45-7. 

9/10 with our roster from Saturday? Yea. Get all the guys back who have non season ending injuries and I say hell no.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

So how for real is USD? Will they maintain this momentum or will they fall apart as the season progresses? 

USD will go only as far as Strevler can take them. He runs the ball 15-20 per game, he is going to take a beating once league play begins. If he can stay healthy they are a playoff team and could finish as high as 3rd in the league, though I expect they will be 4th behind the trio of NDSU, SDSU and YSU. They face WIU and YSU to begin league play. Two very physical, nasty teams who, if they can will tee off on Strevler every chance they get.

5 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

USD will go only as far as Strevler can take them. He runs the ball 15-20 per game, he is going to take a beating once league play begins. If he can stay healthy they are a playoff team and could finish as high as 3rd in the league, though I expect they will be 4th behind the trio of NDSU, SDSU and YSU. They face WIU and YSU to begin league play. Two very physical, nasty teams who, if they can will tee off on Strevler every chance they get.

At game speed I thought we knocked Strevler out on the sideline.  But, he got up and didn't miss a beat.  Someone more tech savvy than me can probably find the play.  

This game and the season so far reminds me a lot of the 2002 team unfortunately.   That team came in with extremely high expectations, had key injuries early that made us extremely young at LB and DB, and also to be frank had an unfocused offseason after the national championship, and approached too many games with an attitude that we just had to show up to win.  We were beat down at home by Central Washington early in the season, didn't beat anyone who was any good (UNC, UNO) but did beat NDSU, SDSU, and USD who were all terrible that season.  We also lost games to Mankato and Augustana who were far less talented than us. We finished at 5-6 and the upcoming offseason the coaches pushed us as hard as any offseason during my career there.  It was the type of offseason that could have made or broken the program.  Fortunately, it re-focused the team and we were playing for a national championship again in 2003.  

I hope I'm wrong on this but there are just too many similarities right now.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

You are only as good as your second string QB. 

20 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

USD will go only as far as Strevler can take them.

Don't think this can be emphasized enough. There were a handful of plays in the first quarter he made that very few QB's at this level would have made, escaping pressure and getting a pass in the right spot by a few inches. Huge momentum plays that swung USD's way and combined with UND's complete mental failure, snowballed into a disaster.