SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs USD

Nodak78

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

That 24-21 loss resembles nothing like the 45-7 thrashing we took yesterday.  If that's how we are gonna play against a middle of the pack MVFC team, then we clearly are not ready for the grind of a MVFC season. I know aberrations happen.  But we were so obviously mismatched at most positions, including coaching.  If this team played USD 10 times, USD wins 9/10... we might win one...because aberrations happen.  We can compete with average FCS teams for the most part.  But we have some work to do as a program before we get to the MVFC.

How do you know they're middle of the pack when they haven't played a conference game yet?

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How do you know they're middle of the pack when they haven't played a conference game yet?

I'd venture they are number 3, just behind NDSU and SDSU.   Still yesterday shouldn't happen.   We were considered the number 1 Sky team.

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

That 24-21 loss resembles nothing like the 45-7 thrashing we took yesterday.  If that's how we are gonna play against a middle of the pack MVFC team, then we clearly are not ready for the grind of a MVFC season. I know aberrations happen.  But we were so obviously mismatched at most positions, including coaching.  If this team played USD 10 times, USD wins 9/10... we might win one...because aberrations happen.  We can compete with average FCS teams for the most part.  But we have some work to do as a program before we get to the MVFC.

I disagree, we came out flat and they were ready to play.  Every time we mounted any surge in the first half we killed it with a penalty.  If that pick that strevrler threw early is not called back for the offsides and we score, totally different game.

Football is a game of momentum.  

If our WRs could have caught a cold in the first half that would have helped.  

Defensively, anyone notice any plays from the OLBs?  Me neither cause they knew running at a ILB combo of two former walk one would get them all the yards they needed.  Not a good match up for us yesterday with the health/make up of our LB corps.  200/210 lb running backs and a 240 lb QB running at 190 lb linebackers in a defense designed for LBs to make tackles doesn't seem like a win for the defense   

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I disagree, we came out flat and they were ready to play.  Every time we mounted any surge in the first half we killed it with a penalty.  If that pick that strevrler threw early is not called back for the offsides and we score, totally different game.

Did we have 3rd and 1 on the first drive killed with a false start?

23 minutes ago, homer said:

If our WRs could have caught a cold in the first half that would have helped.  

Defensively, anyone notice any plays from the OLBs?  Me neither cause they knew running at a ILB combo of two former walk one would get them all the yards they needed.  Not a good match up for us yesterday with the health/make up of our LB corps.  200/210 lb running backs and a 240 lb QB running at 190 lb linebackers in a defense designed for LBs to make tackles doesn't seem like a win for the defense   

Hopefully can get Hunt and Larson back soon.  So little depth there, the size problem gets amplified as they wear down.  Seems obvious that there is little confidence in neverman or Murray.

35 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Thing is, that was a free play due to an offsides on us and he probably would not have thrown that ball if there was no flag thrown. 

11 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hopefully can get Hunt and Larson back soon.  So little depth there, the size problem gets amplified as they wear down.  Seems obvious that there is little confidence in neverman or Murray.

We need those guys bad. I like the drive and grit of Rastas, but he just isn't physically there yet.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

We need those guys bad. I like the drive and grit of Rastas, but he just isn't physically there yet.

Also the inexperience, of our four starting LBs yesterday- 3 of them were starting their 3rd game and 1 starting his first.  

Its just not a good makeup for a defense designed around its LBs. 

Our offense can't afford efforts like yesterday.  They need to sustain drives and get some points.  

1 minute ago, homer said:

Also the inexperience, of our four starting LBs yesterday- 3 of them were starting their 3rd game and 1 starting his first.  

Our offense can't afford efforts like yesterday.  They need to sustain drives and get some points.  

Agreed all around. I expect to see some second semester transfers at LB. At least there better be because I do like the young talent, but that's the keyword you pointed out: young.

21 minutes ago, homer said:

Double whammy, defense outnon field too much and don't have the horses to apply pressure and stay fresh.

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Thanks for reminding me.....I was on that team that took that beating, it was from USD, not SDSU.  We had Morningside the next week, then took care of the Bison the following week in GF.  We truly were asleep and unprepared for that game, just like today!!  So history shows a bounce back is possible but this 2017 team has a lot more to overcome than my '95 team.  We were healthy and had more talent than most opponents in '95.

how about the playoff game vs the bison that year? Were ya unprepared for that one too?

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Funny how Bison fans are ripping us for losing to USD, with comments like we aren't ready for the Valley, and we are a horrible team. Oh how they forget this from 2 seasons ago.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/10/17/unbelievable-coyotes-stun-no-3-ndsu/74050358/

There is a big difference between losing on a last second field goal and losing by 40 lol. 

You didn't "lose" to usd. That's forgivable. Any given Saturday and all that....UND was down by 31 at halftime. 

16 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

how about the playoff game vs the bison that year? Were ya unprepared for that one too?

The game when the Bison O-line were literally tackling our linebackers and d-line under the context of 'cut blocks'?  It's the only time Lennon complained about officiating.  UND sent the film in to get reviewed.  It was a total collapse of rules.  People often wonder how we shut NDSU down 2 weeks prior, then couldn't stop their run......now you know.  It was cheap, dirty, disgusting, and they got away with it.

Just now, gundy1124 said:

The game when the Bison O-line were literally tackling our linebackers under the context of 'cut blocks'?  It's the only time Lennon complained about officiating.  UND sent the film in to get reviewed.  It was a total collapse of rules.  People often wonder how we shut NDSU down 2 weeks prior, then couldn't stop their run......now you know.  It was cheap, dirty, disgusting, and they got away with it.

Hmm...tell me how you really feel. 41-10. At least it was closer than yesterday!

So... why do I not see a bunch of comments ripping into Coach Schmidt?  I only ask because it seems only fair for the Coach bashers to be jumping on because the defense was really terrible yesterday.  We all know it must be his fault when the players blow an assignment or tackle poorly.   Rudolph gets that type of criticism daily on this board but I guess some coaches are bulletproof and some are not.  

I only got to watch half of the game due to my daughters hockey schedule but what I watched was truly embarrassing.  It has been a while since I have watched a UND team play so poorly and make so many dumb mistakes. 

I've a FB hangover this morning.  SD played with a thirst, wanted the game much more than we did. This could be SD's best game of the season and play mediocre from here on out, or play really good the rest of the season. 

We were beat before we got off the bus and our weaknesses were exposed in one game. Top ten teams shouldn't get thrashed like this. Now with the; penalties, injuries, refs, coaches calls, ball bounces, and so on; this game really wan't close enough to go there, other than to build on. Better  this slip happen now than in a potential December game.

We have a huge amount of work to do, and have to do it with the players we have. This will be a big test of who we really are, that including our coaches. 

We can rebound. I like our chances of that happening.

11 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So... why do I not see a bunch of comments ripping into Coach Schmidt?  I only ask because it seems only fair for the Coach bashers to be jumping on because the defense was really terrible yesterday.  We all know it must be his fault when the players blow an assignment or tackle poorly.   Rudolph gets that type of criticism daily on this board but I guess some coaches are bulletproof and some are not.  

I only got to watch half of the game due to my daughters hockey schedule but what I watched was truly embarrassing.  It has been a while since I have watched a UND team play so poorly and make so many dumb mistakes. 

sad part is that it was more embarrassing then girls hockey...    jk, I got a goalie girl that works her butt off