SiouxSports.com Forum

I'm all over the board when it comes to games that have playoff implications. This isn't a make or break game, but it's pretty close. If USD wins, they are 3-0 non-conference with an FBS win and impressive FCS win. If UND wins, they are 2-1 non-conference with their only loss being being to Utah and two wins over MVFC teams.

I'm basing the feeling good / concerns based on when these two teams played last year, hopeful category based on both this year and last

Feeling Good

• Offensively UND is in a much, much better spot. Like night and day compared to last year
  • Defensively, still questions, but I'd put them about even (good defensive unit last year). Tough to really gauge based on the two teams they played. I felt ok with Utah, given they are a good P5 team, even giving up 37. MSU with the shut out was impressive, but it's MSU. I have been impressed with not giving up the big plays. Not trying to be harsh on the defense, they were good last year and the only reason UND was in the first four games. Even is a compliment. 
  • Overall, a better team than they were week 3 last year

Hopeful

• Basing this strictly on the common opponent of BGSU. UND lost and USD won, but looking deeper for UND, it was part of the first 4. BGSU isn't very good, like with the Missouri State / Missouri game, MSU scored most of their points in the 1st quarter. USD was up big 21-3 after one. Hopefully, it was BGSU getting caught by surprise, along with a couple ST errors to give USD good feel position. USD won, but it wasn't a blow out and ended pretty close. 

Concerns

• Road game against a team that I believe is a legit Top 15 team that has a lot of confidence
  • Injury issues for UND > USD
  • Streveler
  • Like UND with Richmond, although USD lost last year, it's a game they think they should have won. They'll want pay back 
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

This will be the last time this year I'll ask about this individual, but does anyone know how Larson is doing? Will he be ready to go this weekend? Anytime soon?

Reading Tom Miller Blog(comments at bottom) sounds like Larson is not ready for this week, maybe next week?  Wonder if there is any chance he redshirts?

http://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/09/11/rodgers-taylor-out-indefinitely/

36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Reading Tom Miller Blog(comments at bottom) sounds like Larson is not ready for this week, maybe next week?  Wonder if there is any chance he redshirts?

http://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/09/11/rodgers-taylor-out-indefinitely/

Since it appears he won't be able to go this weekend, I hope they redshirt him. I'm ok putting all out eggs in the Rastas & co basket, even though Larson would obviously help this year.

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

Since it appears he won't be able to go this weekend, I hope they redshirt him. I'm ok putting all out eggs in the Rastas & co basket, even though Larson would obviously help this year.

Probably depends on if he is close to 100% vs Montana State, Hunt's progress and how Rastas & co play.  I heard from a few guys that when he was in before getting hurt, looked like a very high upside.

27 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Probably depends on if he is close to 100% vs Montana State, Hunt's progress and how Rastas & co play.  I heard from a few guys that when he was in before getting hurt, looked like a very high upside.

I agree, there'll be a couple different factors, but even if he is 100% going into Montana State, which would put him as the best choice all things considered, if Rastas, Hunt, ect.. are holding their own, I hope they RS. My question would be, not will it make the team better, but would Larson > Rastas be the difference between winning and losing games the rest of the year.

Week 3 Depth Chart changes:

Offense
Dan Bell listed as #2 at LG instead of Grant Aplin (Bell is the backup at both guard spots)
Grant Aplin listed as #1 RG, replacing injured Demon Taylor
Only 2 WR spots listed instead of 3 this week. Toivonen listed as #2 WRZ instead of #1 WRB, which was removed from 2-deep

Defense
Nick Schmitz added as #3 at NG
Jake Rastas moves to #1 SILB for injured Donnell Rodgers. Sophomore Corby Richman out of Oriska, ND listed as #2

Special Teams
Meindel moves up to #2 PK, Dussold removed
Dussold added as #2 Holder, Miendel moves down to #3

Donnell Rodgers and Demon Taylor added to the injury report, no other additions or subtractions.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Any thread UND is in gets bombed by Bison fans over there. They have that "hey, look at me I need to be the center of conversation syndrome", thats why AGS is nothing more than Bisonville 2.0. When we join the MVFC in 2020 it will be a total sh*tshow. Just remember according to Anygivensaturday, MVFC teams are the Gods, Big Sky teams are DII Big Fluffy. NDSU can't lose to anyone outside of the NFL, SDSU is going to win it all even thought they are the only Dakota team never to play for a national title in football...ever. Every team sucks unless UND plays them then they are defending national champions and we are total underdogs. Their mods are closet Bison fans therefore allows Bison trolls to invade ALL UND threads. So all you UND posters over there...good luck with the yellow and green hornets. Try not to get banned. 

Until UND beat that team, than the team sucked or UND was just lucky.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Any thread UND is in gets bombed by Bison fans over there. They have that "hey, look at me I need to be the center of conversation syndrome", thats why AGS is nothing more than Bisonville 2.0. When we join the MVFC in 2020 it will be a total sh*tshow. Just remember according to Anygivensaturday, MVFC teams are the Gods, Big Sky teams are DII Big Fluffy. NDSU can't lose to anyone outside of the NFL, SDSU is going to win it all even thought they are the only Dakota team never to play for a national title in football...ever. Every team sucks unless UND plays them then they are defending national champions and we are total underdogs. Their mods are closet Bison fans therefore allows Bison trolls to invade ALL UND threads. So all you UND posters over there...good luck with the yellow and green hornets. Try not to get banned. 

What do you mean, wait until 2020? It already is a !@#$ show :lol:

Last year after we beat USD all of a sudden they were terrible according to AGS. I watched them lose some close games that could have gone either way. If USD beats us, UND sucks. If we beat USD, USD sucks. That's the AGS motto right now lol. 

• Upvote 3