SiouxSports.com Forum

Game day: F'n Hawks vs Bears

geaux_sioux

31 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

That is how to close out games! 

Lets see if Rudolph has the ability to do that against the likes of ndsu or even Montana, Weber, SUU...etc....NO WAY!!! NO WAY!! 

Brady was a man amongst boys against misery st.  He made Rudolph look average on Saturday.  

His predictability is off the charts and has ZERO creativity. But has a lot talent to work with. 

So he should not have called running plays to Brady?  If he was a man amongst boys you get him he ball, which we did.  

I think he was prepared to throw more on Saturday if needed.   Ran some screens.  Overall I am fine with the progress.  

21 hours ago, UND08 said:

Haha...Through two games this year I've already seen calls to fire Rudolph and Kostich on this board...it makes me feel like I'm on Bisonville! 

This is a fan board and expressing opinions, frustrations, and criticism is allowed.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas of weakness.  Special team mistakes arguably cost us two games last year (in a 3 loss season) and cost us a playoff victory.  Their play on Saturday was sloppy again.  As to Rudolph, everyone who has followed the team for the past several years has seen him try pound a 185 pound running back up the middle repeatedly when we are getting no push.  We have also seen teams put 8-9 in the box with impunity.  To be fair, he has had moments where he calls a good game.  I think it is fair to say he needs to improve on keeping opponents off balance.  We aspire to be a championship team and need these two pieces in place.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

This is a fan board and expressing opinions, frustrations, and criticism is allowed.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas of weakness.  Special team mistakes arguably cost us two games last year (in a 3 loss season) and cost us a playoff victory.  Their play on Saturday was sloppy again.  As to Rudolph, everyone who has followed the team for the past several years has seen him try pound a 185 pound running back up the middle repeatedly when we are getting no push.  We have also seen teams put 8-9 in the box with impunity.  To be fair, he has had moments where he calls a good game.  I think it is fair to say he needs to improve on keeping opponents off balance.  We aspire to be a championship team and need these two pieces in place.  

What? Their "dangerous" return man did nothing all day; we contained him very well. If you are talking about the missed FG and the fumbled punt return, then you are correct. But that ignores all the good things we did on Saturday. We won 34-0, let's enjoy it a little.

41 minutes ago, homer said:

So he should not have called running plays to Brady?  If he was a man amongst boys you get him he ball, which we did.  

I think he was prepared to throw more on Saturday if needed.   Ran some screens.  Overall I am fine with the progress.  

PREDICTABILITY!!  NO CREATIVITY IN FOUR YEARS!! It gets the job to a certain extent against average teams.  I think we agree that the big sky has been down....look at the results when he is out of conference.   0-2 last year vs the CAA. The rushing totals in the two games: 71 carries 152 yards. To make a deep run in the playoffs the offense needs to be not so predictable.  I love the run heavy offense but he has to stray away from the predictability.  

The same predicable plays didn't work for Santiago and JJ.  JJ finally had to carry the entire misery st secondary for 20 yards to score. Santiago if used right should have easily ran for 150 or better.   

I will hang the white flag and say he is a fine OC.  

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What? Their "dangerous" return man did nothing all day; we contained him very well. If you are talking about the missed FG and the fumbled punt return, then you are correct. But that ignores all the good things we did on Saturday. We won 34-0, let's enjoy it a little.

lets' say it was 0-0 when we muffed that...let's say we don't force a to and we're down 7-0 to a GOOD team...kostitch has to go

6 minutes ago, Irish said:

I was pretty hard on Kostich last year as I think getting two punts blocked at crucial times, and not having his guys lay off the rush when we got the penalty were more coaching type mistakes or not having the guys ready.   But if a guy muffs a punt or something like that, I can't blame that on the coach.  Just like if a QB sails a ball over the WR and gets picked, hard to blame that on the coach.   I'm just glad we have Santiago back there returning punts instead of Seibel, I actually look forward to receiving punts again.....that something good may actually happen instead of crossing my fingers praying we successfully catch the ball and don't fumble.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I was pretty hard on Kostich last year as I think getting two punts blocked at crucial times, and not having his guys lay off the rush when we got the penalty were more coaching type mistakes or not having the guys ready.   But if a guy muffs a punt or something like that, I can't blame that on the coach.  Just like if a QB sails a ball over the WR and gets picked, hard to blame that on the coach.   I'm just glad we have Santiago back there returning punts instead of Seibel, I actually look forward to receiving punts again.....that something good may actually happen instead of crossing my fingers praying we successfully catch the ball and don't fumble.  

I agree.  2 kickoffs out of bounds. A missed field goal a muffed punt and a punt that wasn't fair caught and rolls to the 2.  How are these Kostich's fault.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

lets' say it was 0-0 when we muffed that...let's say we don't force a to and we're down 7-0 to a GOOD team...kostitch has to go

My problem is that some people are talking like we lost on Saturday. Get a grip people. I am sure Bubba and his staff are working on the mistakes this week.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, old school said:

I agree.  2 kickoffs out of bounds. A missed field goal a muffed punt and a punt that wasn't fair caught and rolls to the 2.  How are these Kostich's fault.   

Taubs didn't have his best year last year, but we've been fortunate to have some really really good kickers and have been pretty spoiled.  I've seen plenty SEC kickers shank 37 yard field goals.  Taubs looks stronger and better this year, I'm looking for a good year from him.  Even in a good year you are going to miss some.  Thank god he made all of them against Utah to keep things reasonable.  There are many college teams that would love to have him as their kicker.  

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Yes that one.  Does bubba call The plays during he game???? If he does.... it makes all the easier for Rudolph to walk 

You're lobbying for Rudolph to get fired? And Bubba has no responsibility?

Look I think some of the criticism of Rudy is warranted. But we're not in the offensive meetings to know what Bubba's gameplan for Rudy is or how Rudy grades out after games. There is a real possibility that Bubba is overall pleased with the playcalls because Rudy is running the offense that Bubba wants. Either way there is no question that Bubba wants a run first, ball control, no turnover offense and that is what Rudy calls. 

Overall we've established that a majority of posters don't like Rudy's play calling. But we don't know Bubba's opinion. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

You're lobbying for Rudolph to get fired? And Bubba has no responsibility?

Look I think some of the criticism of Rudy is warranted. But we're not in the offensive meetings to know what Bubba's gameplan for Rudy is or how Rudy grades out after games. There is a real possibility that Bubba is overall pleased with the playcalls because Rudy is running the offense that Bubba wants. Either way there is no question that Bubba wants a run first, ball control, no turnover offense and that is what Rudy calls. 

Overall we've established that a majority of posters don't like Rudy's play calling. But we don't know Bubba's opinion. 

This what Bubba feels will get us to a championship.  

10 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Taubs didn't have his best year last year, but we've been fortunate to have some really really good kickers and have been pretty spoiled.  I've seen plenty SEC kickers shank 37 yard field goals.  Taubs looks stronger and better this year, I'm looking for a good year from him.  Even in a good year you are going to miss some.  Thank god he made all of them against Utah to keep things reasonable.  There are many college teams that would love to have him as their kicker.  

I do agree with you but how can the coaches be blamed when the players are the one making the mistakes.  

3 minutes ago, old school said:

I do agree with you but how can the coaches be blamed when the players are the one making the mistakes.  

I think we are both on the same page here and saying the same thing, if a guy muffs a punt, misses a kick, or a ball gets kicked out of bounds I don't think you can necessarily blame it on the coach which is what I was saying.  However if muffing punts and kicking out of bounds becomes repetitive, then that is a problem and you can start looking at the coach. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think we are both on the same page here and saying the same thing, if a guy muffs a punt, misses a kick, or a ball gets kicked out of bounds I don't think you can necessarily blame it on the coach which is what I was saying.  However if muffing punts and kicking out of bounds becomes repetitive, then that is a problem and you can start looking at the coach. 

Yup....exactly 

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My problem is that some people are talking like we lost on Saturday. Get a grip people. I am sure Bubba and his staff are working on the mistakes this week.

week 1 last year against stony brook=horrible

week 1 this year against msu=more horrible

i see a trend not improvement

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

week 1 this year again msu=more horrible

What was horrible about the game against MSU? Muffed punt catch is on the player IMHO. Kick out of bounds, blame goes to the kicker. 

If this continues, sure that's a trend, but one game after stellar special teams play against Utah might be an outlier.

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

week 1 this year against msu=more horrible

Week 1 was against Utah.....:silly:

While I'm not saying that there aren't things that need to be cleaned up, which is the case for every unit of the team, if you think Kostich is a weak link in the staff, you are way off.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The reason we sucked to start the year last year was because Studs was terrible and the wr weren't helping him out much after Clive went down. This year the wr are ready to go from day 1 and Studs is sharp as can be.

Absolutely, we do have a airial attack ready to play. Now we just need to use a balance in every game.