SiouxSports.com Forum

Game day: F'n Hawks vs Bears

geaux_sioux

50 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

The highlights are up so do yourself a favor and watch the JJ touchdown run. That's a MAN run right there!

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&id=6209440

I'm no expert, but it looks like JJ is running with confidence now instead of being tentative.  Great run!  UND completely dominated that team, I was very surprised.

6 hours ago, DakKid said:

WhooHoo, Good win Sioux...........can't wait to see them come out to Montana and kick some Griz ass!!!!  Got tix and looking for a tailgate party in Missoula!!!!!

You are in luck.  We have a FB Alum in Mizzou who is going to set up a tailgate spot for us!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The problem with message boards is grey area or nuanced opinions aren't understood or even seen. If an opinion doesn't fall in the company line perfectly, it's viewed as dissenting and opposing. My opinion was never that MSU was great, nor was it that UND wouldn't be successful against them. I simply stated that MSU looked good against a fully funded SEC defense...impressive given MSU's status as a doormat in the MVFC. Many here somehow took offense to that opinion for some odd reason.

UND impressed yesterday. 

People looked at the 2014 game, UND got blownout. That was Bubba's first year of dismantling that sh*tshow Mussman left him with in the 3 win 2013 season. He had very little time to do what he could with what he had. In 2017 Bubba's players are kicking in and kicking in with a passion. If there are any Mussman players left they are seniors now but with a Bubba coached mentality. So that game meant nothing and as they say past performance is not a guarantee in future results. 38-0 loss in '14 to a 34-0 win in '17 says it all. FCS knows about our defense, its our offense that could get sketchy at times. When our running attack is on or our passing attack is lighting it up...WATCH OUT!!

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

People looked at the 2014 game, UND got blownout. That was Bubba's first year of dismantling that sh*tshow Mussman left him with in the 3 win 2013 season. He had very little time to do what he could with what he had. In 2017 Bubba's players are kicking in and kicking in with a passion. If there are any Mussman players left they are seniors now but with a Bubba coached mentality. So that game meant nothing and as they say past performance is not a guarantee in future results. 38-0 loss in '14 to a 34-0 win in '17 says it all. FCS knows about our defense, its our offense that could get sketchy at times. When our running attack is on or our passing attack is lighting it up...WATCH OUT!!

...ok?

Just now, sioux rube said:

Proud group of folks here in Jamestown with the game Noah Wanzek had. I went to school with his dad. Great people. Noah lost his mom about 2 years ago during his senior year. Kid has come a long way for sure. Hoping to get up for a game yet this season. 

Thats too bad. Sorry for him and his family. He was great yesterday, and I am sure his mom was proud of him just like the rest of us. 

18 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Proud group of folks here in Jamestown with the game Noah Wanzek had. I went to school with his dad. Great people. Noah lost his mom about 2 years ago during his senior year. Kid has come a long way for sure. Hoping to get up for a game yet this season. 

Wanzek has a very bright future at UND. UND's office could be a balanced machine that will be hard to stop. 

8 hours ago, homer said:

I thought Rudy called a pretty good game today.  

This is just my recollection, so actual play by play  may differ from my memory. It seems that when the run game wasn't working right away, he went to the passing game, which is what most people wanted to see him do against Utah.  since studsrud and his receivers were able to make several plays, the passing game opened up the running game for later when Santiago and Johanneson and Oliveira were able to shine. The only other thing that I was hoping for was a nifty first play from scrimmage to really get the crowd excited. 

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This is just my recollection, so actual play by play  may differ from my memory. It seems that when the run game wasn't working right away, he went to the passing game, which is what most people wanted to see him do against Utah.  since studsrud and his receivers were able to make several plays, the passing game opened up the running game for later when Santiago and Johanneson and Oliveira were able to shine. The only other thing that I was hoping for was a nifty first play from scrimmage to really get the crowd excited. 

really all we're asking for a is a screen pass or two, a bubble screen or two, and target the te's a little...stay with your core but open it up a little bit rudy. (and no triple reverses)

• Upvote 1

I also had negative comments about Stusrud last game (and last year) but yesterday was very good. I believe it was the last passing TD in which he had a receiver coming across the field, saw he was covered and went to the second receiver in the EZ for a TD. He looked off his primary guy a couple of times I noticed.

Btw, was anyone else surprised to find that Oliveira had 165 yards? I knew he was going well, but didn't think it was that many.

Sorry to hear about your game day injury Ira. Did it happen tailgating? I loved the students section and stood there watching and dreaming I was young again along with my 50+ year old friends.

• Upvote 1

Happened when we went over to see student tailgating area.  They were having a blast and their tailgating area was packed.  There were 2 GF policemen there and I had just commented to the guy I was with that I was impressed they were letting students have fun as long as they weren't doing anything too  stupid. Next thing I knew I got blindsided.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Happened when we went over to see student tailgating area.  They were having a blast and their tailgating area was packed.  There were 2 GF policemen there and I had just commented to the guy I was with that I was impressed they were letting students have fun as long as they weren't doing anything too  stupid. Next thing I knew I got blindsided.  

So are you OK? You were able to make it through the whole game?

Our defense has a ton of speed out there. We're a little light in spots but man can we run. The coverage also looked pretty solid yesterday. The play Blubough made was special. Makes a fr mistakes and gets burned but makes up for it with great speed and then pops the ball out. He just looks like a gamer and is pretty built for a fr. Rastas is really skinny but was really solid. He got blown up on one play by an OL but for the most part was around the ball. 

On o we need more push from the hogs in the run game. I know we had a lot of yards yesterday but we were getting stone walled way too much early on. Izzy looked really quick. I want to see him in the bubble game more. Wanzek is a beast and is only scratching the surface. Studs is so much better to start this year it's unreal. I trust him fully for the first time. 

It's easy to look good against a bad team though. Things get real this week.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, homer said:

With this defense we will be ok up the middle vs the Big Sky but USD could really take advantage.  Our two middle LBs look tiny.  No chance Rastas is 200lbs.   

Yeah it will be interesting with Streveler next week. Threw for 300 and ran for another 100. I live in SD and people are saying the FCS Tebow. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

really all we're asking for a is a screen pass or two, a bubble screen or two, and target the te's a little...stay with your core but open it up a little bit rudy. (and no triple reverses)

They did run several swing screens to Santiago yesterday.  The one he made about 5 guys miss and got the first down himself.

55 minutes ago, homer said:

With this defense we will be ok up the middle vs the Big Sky but USD could really take advantage.  Our two middle LBs look tiny.  No chance Rastas is 200lbs.   

Rastas was moving pretty well, but really struggles on taking on blockers. Must be considerably better than neverman, for the playing time ratioafter donnell went down.

39 minutes ago, homer said:

the starting four backers against SD will be program weight of 200, 200, 210,215.  Two of them are definitely not 200 and the other two just break the barrier.  Outside the three DL ...Cole is by far the 4th biggest player on D   

Streveler is 230.  He will be very hard to contain.  He's a dude 

*I'm not feeling confident about this game with the injuries 

12 hours ago, homer said:

I thought Rudy called a pretty good game today.  

I would give him a C. First 2-3 drives had some head scratchers for sure.

3rd and a short 1 and we run a play that starts 7 yards deep?

Wasn't too happy with the 3rd down call that led to missed field goal either.

After that it was alright.

Next week will be an important measuring stick for this team. It will be on Midco Sports Network, so most of us will be able to watch it. If we can perform in that environment, we'll be the odds on favorite to win the Big Sky Conference again and probably get a top 8 seed in the FCS playoffs. A 2-1 non-conference record will put us in good position to get a playoff spot. A 1-2 record puts us behind the eight ball before the conference schedule even starts. A win next week is huge for our season.