SiouxSports.com Forum

Da Bears

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Arians' point is that spread quarterbacks haven't developed that feel for the game because they aren't asked to calls plays, master the opponent's changing personnel and nuanced tendencies and, perhaps most importantly, use field intelligence to perceive exactly where each defensive back and wide receiver is on every play.

See Arians is wrong.   If you watched even the Utah-UND game our quarterback was constantly reading the defense and making decisions "using field intelligence" to keep the ball or dump it off.  

1 minute ago, RavenousUte said:

See Arians is wrong.   If you watched even the Utah-UND game our quarterback was constantly reading the defense and making decisions "using field intelligence" to keep the ball or dump it off.  

One of the greatest offensive minds in the NFL is wrong? If you say so.

2 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Yeah, Arians best two seasons in the NFL were with Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley at QB two spread offense QBs in college.  You are talking an outdated concept by an outdated coach.

What are you even talking about? Are you thinking of Carson Palmer? And also USC and Stanford are both known to run Pro style offenses. In fact, Stanford is the epitome of a pro style college offense.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Offensive Coordinator Mussman = National Championship and the success thereafter.  

He took our offense to another level in terms of aggressiveness in playcalling.  Trust me, the defense noticed this and loved it.

You mean when we won the 2001 semi-final game scoring a whopping 14 points...winning 14-2? That juggernaut of an offense?  Last December when we had the week off before Richmond I re-watched that game just to watch some UND football.  In my mind I had fond memories of our offenses back then and somehow remembered them being so good and diverse.  Well when I watched that game, particularly the start of the game.....it was about as vanilla as you can get.  I think we ran the ball 9 of the first 12 plays or something like that.  But yes....we ran the bubble screen a few times in the game.....woohoo....I guess that means you are an exciting offensive coordinator if you run that 3-4 times a game.  

We scored 14 points in that 2001 game that we were evenly matched.  We just scored 16 points against a team with a ridiculous front 7 in which we were over matched.  I remember we all thought, we need to get the ball outside to open things up against Utah.  Well I think we ran the jet sweep twice...and averaged a 2 yard loss on that play, so I'm sure that is why Rudy scrapped that play.  

All of that said, I was as frustrated as many of you during the Utah game as well and there are definitely things that could have been better, and done some things differently.  I wish we would start out with Brady in the backfield and establish him strong up the middle as he always gets a couple of yards.  Then bring in Santiago to mix it up. We need more TE's...and other things that you have all mentioned, I agree.  But lets not mistake ourselves that we had high flying offenses when we won a National Championship. It's funny......when you win....everything looks good. 

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

You mean when we won the 2001 semi-final game scoring a whopping 14 points...winning 14-2? That juggernaut of an offense?  Last December when we had the week off before Richmond I re-watched that game just to watch some UND football.  In my mind I had fond memories of our offenses back then and somehow remembered them being so good and diverse.  Well when I watched that game, particularly the start of the game.....it was about as vanilla as you can get.  I think we ran the ball 9 of the first 12 plays or something like that.  But yes....we ran the bubble screen a few times in the game.....woohoo....I guess that means you are an exciting offensive coordinator if you run that 3-4 times a game.  

We scored 14 points in that 2001 game that we were evenly matched.  We just scored 16 points against a team with a ridiculous front 7 in which we were over matched.  I remember we all thought, we need to get the ball outside to open things up against Utah.  Well I think we ran the jet sweep twice...and averaged a 2 yard loss on that play, so I'm sure that is why Rudy scrapped that play.  

All of that said, I was as frustrated as many of you during the Utah game as well and there are definitely things that could have been better, and done some things differently.  I wish we would start out with Brady in the backfield and establish him strong up the middle as he always gets a couple of yards.  Then bring in Santiago to mix it up. We need more TE's...and other things that you have all mentioned, I agree.  But lets not mistake ourselves that we had high flying offenses when we won a National Championship. It's funny......when you win....everything looks good. 

Ok so I was curious about my memory so I watched the first drive again.....and actually of the first 11 offensive plays in that game we ran the ball 9 times, 8 of which were pretty much right up the gut.  We did run the bubble screen twice on that drive :)    Here is a link if you guys want to watch offensive wizardry at work:

18 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I still don't understand why Santiago wasn't used on the sweeps. Using Brady O and JJ on the sweep just didn't make sense to me. Just trying to get our power guys matched up against DBs?

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I still don't understand why Santiago wasn't used on the sweeps. Using Brady O and JJ on the sweep just didn't make sense to me. Just trying to get our power guys matched up against DBs?

Pretty sure it was Mercer who ran the first sweep, there were two guys right there waiting for him so he tried to cut back and fell down.....lost two yards.  

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Pretty sure it was Mercer who ran the first sweep, there were two guys right there waiting for him so he tried to cut back and fell down.....lost two yards.  

I could've sworn JJ and Brady each got one, but i could easily be mistaken. Maybe they were just some outside runs that had no chance. 

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I could've sworn JJ and Brady each got one, but i could easily be mistaken. Maybe they were just some outside runs that had no chance. 

Nope, the first one was Mercer.  After we made the interception and then got a completion we had the ball 1st down at the 12 yard line of Utah, so on 1st down we ran the Jet Sweep to the left with Mercer.....there were two guys right there, he had absolutely no where to go and we lost two yards.  It could be that we ran it later with Brady though and I just don't remember that one.  I do remember the one to JJ.  

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Nope, the first one was Mercer.  After we made the interception and then got a completion we had the ball 1st down at the 12 yard line of Utah, so on 1st down we ran the Jet Sweep to the left with Mercer.....there were two guys right there, he had absolutely no where to go and we lost two yards.  It could be that we ran it later with Brady though and I just don't remember that one.  I do remember the one to JJ.  

Brady ran into his blocker out wide and JJ got tackled with a feather.

• Like 1

Mo State scores 43 on Missouri, Utah scores 37 on UND -- does anyone believe that Mo State is better offensively than Utah? I still think it'll be between a 10 / 14 point win, but I feel better and better the more I break down the Week 1 games.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree with this on JJ, needs to run like a speedy 230 lber, I was a little disappointed last Thursday.

For as much of a game breaker Santiago can be at times, and the specimen that JJ is.......right now I actually feel most comfortable with Brady in the backfield.  I'm sure JJ will be good though once he gets going a bit more, and hoping Santiago breaks a big one this weekend and many other times throughout the year. But if we had one drive at the end of the game that we needed to win the game.......right now I think I'd want Brady in there......always positive yards.

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

For as much of a game breaker Santiago can be at times, and the specimen that JJ is.......right now I actually feel most comfortable with Brady in the backfield.  I'm sure JJ will be good though once he gets going a bit more, and hoping Santiago breaks a big one this weekend and many other times throughout the year. But if we had one drive at the end of the game that we needed to win the game.......right now I think I'd want Brady in there......always positive yards.

Agreed.  Brady and Gordon are my two favorite backs 

Gameday has arrived.

Don't forget to checkout the Grand Forks Herald (online) this morning to see the latest about the game. 

The first things you'll see are: 

"Senior Spotlight: Get to know the Bison Free Safety."

"Five things to know about Eastern Washington."

"Eastern Washingtons red turf great for Marketing."

"Eastern Washington game last year was really long."

Oh wait nevermind, I didn't see anything this morning on the Herald website ("front page") for the game this morning, just four things about the Bison and their game.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Gameday has arrived.

Don't forget to checkout the Grand Forks Herald (online) this morning to see the latest about the game. 

The first things you'll see are: 

"Senior Spotlight: Get to know the Bison Free Safety."

"Five things to know about Eastern Washington."

"Eastern Washingtons red turf great for Marketing."

"Eastern Washington game last year was really long."

Oh wait nevermind, I didn't see anything this morning on the Herald website ("front page") for the game this morning, just four things about the Bison and their game.

Screw the golden buffaloes and the Herald for running that crap. Sick of it. I, along with others, have commented on this before. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Screw the golden buffaloes and the Herald for running that crap. Sick of it. I, along with others, have commented on this before. 

I also have commented on this before and was going to again earlier in the week about all the Bizon FB coverage in the GF Hearld. First home game of the season and there were 1 or 2 days in a short week were UND FB had no article and guess who did. Absolute Cow$hit. Looking for a slip out west.

• Like 1