SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Utah is a very good team and it was a great opportunity for UND. Hats off to all the Utes fans, win a bunch.

You guys are a bunch of rainbows and sunshine today.  I hope that BYU smokes Utah next week.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes... great point. It's never as cut and dried as it can be made out to be. Great context!

Yes, Studs was nailed on the play. My continuing point-he locked in to his right and with the pressure tossed it to that side and it could have been picked off.

I think my biggest takeaway from the game was Studsrud. I thought he played a damn good game. He can sling the ball while rolling out of the pocket. His pocket presence was great. Sensed pressure, and adjusted accordingly. The moment did not seem too big for him.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

The argument is moot. Studs may not have "won" the game with his arm. But his arm put UND in the position to have Harris INT be the difference. UND was left for dead and Studs arm brought them back in that game.

im not saying the offense should revolve around him, we are a running team, but Rudy could/should definitely open the playbook a bit and take some chances.

My concern is come playoff time and EVERY team KNOWS we are a running team and they put 8-9 in a box and FORCE Studs to be the guy. That's the issue. Last night, I and about 15 others at a local bar in town, saw 9 in the box; Studs looks like he may audible as he turns to his RB's. Then takes the snap and HANDS off to one of them.  Maybe he doesn't have audible rights, but teams are going to work hard to make him beat them. I'm not positive he can...and I don't like seeing the WR/TE's continue to drop passes. We win the playoff game if they make catches but he needs to make the passes too.

9 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Best of luck to you guys the rest of the year. You seem to have a nice fan base that we didn't mind having around the last few weeks. I'll be keeping an eye on your team the rest of the year. 

Thanks, luck you you guys as well... Studsrud is a Stud... great scrambling and extending the play even when he had to throw it away instead of getting sacked.  Only issues, I saw for you guys, was some over pursuit on some defensive plays.  Nice kicker and I'm sure you won't face a front 7 like us again so your run game should be fine.

4 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Thanks, luck you you guys as well... Studsrud is a Stud... great scrambling and extending the play even when he had to throw it away instead of getting sacked.  Only issues, I saw for you guys, was some over pursuit on some defensive plays.  Nice kicker and I'm sure you won't face a front 7 like us again so your run game should be fine.

We don't have the kind of hogs you need to stop your front seven. I feel good about our d-line, they had some success against you guys so that should translate well to FCS play.

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You gotta be kidding knocking Studsrud in this game.  Did you see Utah's D-line play?  Utah had 1 safety and 1 corner that were lights out, too.

I feel the only way some will be happy with Studsrud is if he throws a touchdown pass blind folded, just to prove he isn't locked on a WR.  

which means that our te's should have a dozen or so targets within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage...

2 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Utah is not better than Iowa. 

I watched both games, every play, and watched Iowa 2 other games.

I disagree.  Utah has more high end athletes than Iowa, and those guys are the difference makers.  Compare QB's and WR's just to start.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I watched both games, every play, and watched Iowa 2 other games.

I disagree.  Utah has more high end athletes than Iowa, and those guys are the difference makers.  Compare QB's and WR's just to start.

Utah skill players are way beyond what Iowa had on last year's team.  Also the defensive line especially for Utah was far better.  I would guess that at least  a dozen of Utah's players from last night will be drafted when eligible.    At the time of the games Iowa was ranked much higher than Utah was yesterday, but rankings this time of year are worth zero.  Rankings start to matter near the end of September when a body of work can be analyzed.  It will be interesting to watch the utes take on BYU next weekend.