SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

The argument is moot. Studs may not have "won" the game with his arm. But his arm put UND in the position to have Harris INT be the difference. UND was left for dead and Studs arm brought them back in that game.

im not saying the offense should revolve around him, we are a running team, but Rudy could/should definitely open the playbook a bit and take some chances.

^^^^^^^.........this.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Big picture from yesterday........that's all that really matter right?

Yep, that's all that matters what logo was used on what app. Mafia was happy Score used the interlocking ND, and I told him what logo the ESPN app used. So glad you chimed in.:silly:

48 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think we will find that we played a Very talented and deep Utah team that barring too many injuries will challenge for the PAC 12 Mountain crown.  UND played hard it was a game into the 4th quarter.  

Strengths:  

Santiago - even though he did not have much daylight to make  a play the few times he did, I thought he looked just as dangerous as always and delivered when he could.

Studsrud - made some good throws.  Can make enough plays for UND to have an even better season than last year.

Disterhaupt - was all over the field, made 14 tackles.

Needs work: 

Tackling - great athletes make it tougher, but way too many missed tackles.

Defensive pressure - makes a great Schmidt defense.  Need to find more depth at LB and DB so fresh legs are on those blitzes as the game wears on.

Throwing the ball into the middle of the field using tight ends.

IMO if team keeps getting better and stays away from any more injuries will play a huge game at the Alerus in November and can make a run into December  and possibly January.

I would add that our young OLB looked lost on a few plays.  Polomberg and Jade both made some plays but there are plays that stick out that their youth showed.  That will improve.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Very respectable showing. Outcome is what a vast majority expected. If UND doesn't completely tune up Springfield St next week then there will be be some issues..............

Unfortunately I don't see UND winning big next week.   As bad as misery st is....... Rudolph is much worse

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Utes96 said:

Gents, I know the game didn't go the way you wanted but I thought your squad was talented and tough as nails.  Best of luck the rest of the way.  You guys will do some serious damage in the big sky this year!

You have a great looking team.  Some maulers on both lines and some freaky skill guys.  Have a great season and Win the PAC-12!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

ESPN used the Hawk logo. Score is a little behind the times. 

I'm still not sure that the football team embraces the logo as they refuse to put it on one side of the helmets and opt for player number instead.   :lol:

The patch on the jersey seemed to have the correct shadow under the hawk's neck - the patch on Bubba's Adidas polo shirt, however, was not correct.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think we will find that we played a Very talented and deep Utah team that barring too many injuries will challenge for the PAC 12 Mountain crown.  UND played hard it was a game into the 4th quarter.  

Strengths:  

Santiago - even though he did not have much daylight to make  a play the few times he did, I thought he looked just as dangerous as always and delivered when he could.

Studsrud - made some good throws.  Can make enough plays for UND to have an even better season than last year.

Needs work: 

Defensive pressure - makes a great Schmidt defense.  Need to find more depth at LB and DB so fresh legs are on those blitzes as the game wears on.

IMO if team keeps getting better and stays away from any more injuries will play a huge game at the Alerus in November and can make a run into December  and possibly January.

This has probably been my biggest frustration - outside of playcalling - during the last couple of years.  Admittedly, I'm a little TE biased, but this is a fantastic year to make the TE's relevant in the passing game with the talent we have. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ILHawks said:

This has probably been my biggest frustration - outside of playcalling - during the last couple of years.  Admittedly, I'm a little TE biased, but this is a fantastic year to make the TE's relevant in the passing game with the talent we have. 

With the offensive game plan UND brings to each game 5-15 yard TE routes need to be a staple every week.  The only three throws I remember were an early throw for a first down, the TD, and the pick.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ILHawks said:

18 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

With the offensive game plan UND brings to each game 5-15 yard TE routes need to be a staple every week.  The only three throws I remember were an early throw for a first down, the TD, and the pick.

I have always felt the UND should utilize their TE's more in the game plan.  Glad to see Bubba seems to think the same way with his recruiting of big athletic TE's.  I am a little biased because I have known the kid since he was little, but I think Hunter Pinke is going to be a great player at UND.  Tall, athletic kid who also played basketball in High School.  Put on 30 pounds of muscle in the offseason.  

• Like 1

I didn't follow the game thread during the game -- never do -- too many cliff divers for my liking. I do like going back and reading them after a big come from behind win. Entertaining.

Things I saw on TV that I liked:

Holm's INT

Sacks against a Power 5 ranked team ... can't wait to add Greely to the mix against FCS foes

Tank and Cieslak eating up blocks and getting through to the QB and RBs

Disterhaupt is a beast and will be even better once Larson and Rastas and few others enter the mix.

Tamas Stewart's de-helmeter -- clean and violent.

Taubs Taubs Taubs.... touch backs and field goals all day

Studs connections when the play book was opened up in the second half.

Wanzek and Toivonnen.  Add Stanley and Adeoti to the mix and look out!

A couple times when Santiago lined up outside and caught passes in space.

Decision to go over the top to Feidler for a TD instead of continuing to pound into the Great Wall of Utah during goal-to -go

Punting and punt coverage was decent.

Punt receiving was less nerve wracking last night

Sustained drives in the first quarter kept the defense fresh.

Olivera's relentless push after contact.

Pass protection by the OL

Things I didn't like:

Key drops by receivers and TEs

Norberg's injury

Studs missing a wide open Feidler over the middle that would have gone for a TD.

Settling to two FGs when we got deep in the red zone

Punting with 8 minutes to go... need to have something in our arsenal in those situations (No, not a double reverse)

Mis-timed jet sweeps looked brutal 

Wish our WRs could and would block like Utah's, minus the holding that the Utes got nailed for.

Missed tackles... were the Utes wearing Teflon unis or was I having flashbacks to 2013?

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

Another positive is I thought the secondary played pretty well, no big plays, kept the receivers in front of them.

Did anyone notice if Stewart came back after the big hit?

Secondary played pretty well yesterday.  Holm was our best DB which is good/surprising. 

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Strengths:  

Needs work: 

Like the guys said on the radio we will not tackle guys like this the rest of the year. It's not like we weren't in position to make these tackles. They just used there bigger size and strength to break our tackles. We will be fine in the rest of the FCS games.

I could get pretty used to listening to games on Sirius radio. Great to hear the prospective of their announcers. We gave the Utes some headaches and didn't let them have their way with us like a lowly FCS team would.

Harris could have given us a chance at that game changing int but I think his replacements did a great job against some highly talented receivers. The Utes made some big catches that not all guys would have made.

I was thinking about this payday game against Utah and next year against Washington, both solid P5 schools. If you did the scheduling, would you go after these type of games to open up the year, or try to find MAC / Mountain West teams and end up collecting 100 / 150K less? Is UND better off from strictly a learning experience (playing in a tough atmosphere, elite talent), that it's worth it? Personally, I'd rather have them schedule BGSU, where there's a real chance of an upset and still collect a check, then playing at Utah. I'm probably in the minority though.

The OC for Utah came from E Wash, (I'm sure everyone is now aware), he is an offensive genius.  That style of offense, in good weather, will put up video like numbers nearly every game.  His e wash team last year lit up ndsu in the dome with 44 points and nearly 600 yards of offense.  UND could of done better in some regards defensively but that style of offense with talent like that is scary.  Hopefully und took a lot away from this game as the exact style of offense comes to when AL on. Nov 11. Just a little less talent. Although I put gubrud right up there with some of the more talented run/pass qbs in the country. 

Just now, AJS said:

I was thinking about this payday game against Utah and next year against Washington, both solid P5 schools. If you did the scheduling, would you go after these type of games to open up the year, or try to find MAC / Mountain West teams and end up collecting 100 / 150K less? Is UND better off from strictly a learning experience (playing in a tough atmosphere, elite talent), that it's worth it? Personally, I'd rather have them schedule BGSU, where there's a real chance of an upset and still collect a check, then playing at Utah. I'm probably in the minority though.

I'm down for either big time P5 teams or the winnable G5 games. Both have the potential to win. If you play a popular P5 team you will have a larger reach to a big audience. The only way you can gain more reach than that is to beat a G5 team. I rather lose to a P5 team any day compared to the MAC type schools.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UteFan said:

ND played well. Coached well, good sportsmanship and tough as nails.  I saw at least 3,000 fans in the corner. Liked the green helmets. Looked sharp.  Hope your team wins the next 13. 

Here's hoping you win out as well.*

*You always hope the teams you beat win out; makes you look better. Then again, you always hope the teams you lose to win out so your loss looks reasonable. ;):D 

41 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Studs missing a wide open Feidler over the middle that would have gone for a TD.

I noticed a few other comments on this and I wanted to point out that I think that one is on the OL, not Keaton. He was under pressure before he finished his dropback and he to get rid of the ball with no chance to go through any progression or see the safetyroll over to the WR's, leaving the seam open for Fiedler. It was painful to watch the replay, if Keaton has a couple seconds, it's a TD.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I noticed a few other comments on this and I wanted to point out that I think that one is on the OL, not Keaton. He was under pressure before he finished his dropback and he to get rid of the ball with no chance to go through any progression or see the safety make the proper read with that pressure and roll over to the WR's. It was painful to watch the replay, if Keaton has a couple seconds and see him, it's a TD.

Yes... great point. It's never as cut and dried as it can be made out to be. Great context!

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I disagree.  These games are good for recruiting, good for the players and coaches to measure where they are at, and good for the coffers $$$$.  Beating BGSU in front of 5,000 fans is not an upset for a top 10 FCS team.

Absolutely agree, I loved this game. Big money game that actually built some confidence in our guys and was a great learning experience. Not to mention the exposure of the game for the program. I feel just as good about last night as I did a few years ago with the win at Wyoming. 

• Upvote 1