SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

They lost by 21 points on the road to a legitimate P5 team and I see nothing but positives. Of course, improvements have to be made, but UND looked like the belonged for large portions of the game. If you look at this team and compare it to last year, I don't think it's even close. They couldn't run the ball tonight, but that was basically a given against this front 7. Even with that, the offense was at a completely different level than it was at Stony Brook. This team lines up against Stony Brook and they win easily. They would have won against BGSU too. They faced the best they'll face all year and stayed relatively healthy. I was really impressed with Studsrud, think he played fantastic. We know what this D-line can do and I liked the play of the linebackers, as well as the secondary, no big plays. Excited for the rest of the year. Also, #4 was great, nailed all his field goals, having him confident will go along ways. 

Totally agree wrt Studsrud and Taubs, and you can throw in Disterhaupt and a few others, too.  I felt that Studsrud did a good job of keeping his poise in the face of relentless pressure and looks much more mature than last season, particularly early last season.  His only INT should have, or at least could have, been caught, and the two long completions on our one TD drive were impressive.  In addition to making all his FG attempts, all of his Taubenheim's kickoffs were touchbacks, unlike much of last year.  Appears to have really matured as a kicker.  Looking forward to next Sat.

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Two things if we are going to be able to occasionally play with the big boys - our lines both need better pushes and we need to go into the game with an offense that is geared to mix things up and play to win.  I am very happy with the effort by the boys.  Not as happy with the "play just to keep the game respectable" attitude shown by the coaches.  Come on Bubba, go for it.  

As Oxbow pointed out, no one should be surprised. The team doesn't switch its game plan no matter who they are playing. Run the ball. Grind down the clock. and when playing a FBS team hope the defense "makes a play."

Its the same story. It's not necessarily a bad plan. It keeps the game "respectable" for the most part. The staff plays the odds. They know the longer the game goes on the more likely Utah will pull away. That's why they need to try and run the clock down and keep it close. And then at the end (when maybe the other team slightly "rests on its heels") switch up the game plan and go balls to the wall. The Studs interception was a perfectly thrown ball.  The OC doesn't know running the ball up the middle doesn't work til you do it a few times (or half a game).

This game ended pretty much like it should have. And in the end we don't know any more about this UND team than we did before the game started. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Does anyone else feel that UND has a 3 year starter at QB and have no idea if he could/can win a game with his arm if needed?

He can hand off for a one yard up the middle with the best of them, though. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Does anyone else feel that UND has a 3 year starter at QB and have no idea if he could/can win a game with his arm if needed?

Explain.... In what way would he win the game with his arm?  Throwing every down the entire second half to get back into it or what do you mean?

Listen, I tried to tell Maddogg (or whatever the hell his name is) that you wouldn't run on Utah. You would not wear them down. You would not grind things out. The QB would have to beat Utah, and he isn't (plus your receivers) good enough to do that. Tried to tell everyone (in a nice way) that what UND does plays right into the Utah defense. 

You'll be just fine going forward. You have some talented players and a staff that knows what they are doing. The guys played hard and never gave up...they just never stood a chance of consistently moving the ball to win the game. 

Hope y'all had fun that could make it out. Hope you win the rest of your games. I'm signing off...got some BYU Zoobs to argue with now. 

• Like 1

We've played quite a FCS game almost every year over the past 5 or so years.  You guys are a really good team, and represented well.  We played 8 different D linemen about equal snaps this game-meaning they were fresh all game.  4 of the 8 are locks for the NFL and 2 of the others will probably make it as well.  I actually thought your QB did a great job extending plays and finding open men.  I don't know if you heard coach Whittingham on the post game--he was PISSED we didn't get more than 1 sack and 1 turnover--but you guys didn't many make mistakes that we could capitalize on.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Watch last years Northern Arizona game to answer your question. 

IIRC, the KEY play in that comeback was by Deion Harris. I do not believe Studs can win a game with his arm. I've alluded to it before, but he picks his receiver out of the huddle, focuses on him from then on and passes to that guy. NEVER checks off.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, shep said:

IIRC, the KEY play in that comeback was by Deion Harris. I do not believe Studs can win a game with his arm. I've alluded to it before, but he picks his receiver out of the huddle, focuses on him from then on and passes to that guy. NEVER checks off.

Yet rarely throws interceptions.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Explain.... In what way would he win the game with his arm?  Throwing every down the entire second half to get back into it or what do you mean?

Did I say this game specifically Coach Rudolph? As to NAU last year Studs was very good. Did he win the game with his arm? I think that's debatable. My comment was definitely not an indictment on him. IMO he rarely gets enough opportunities early in games, like last night, to be a difference maker.

I think we will find that we played a Very talented and deep Utah team that barring too many injuries will challenge for the PAC 12 Mountain crown.  UND played hard it was a game into the 4th quarter.  

Strengths:  

Santiago - even though he did not have much daylight to make  a play the few times he did, I thought he looked just as dangerous as always and delivered when he could.

Studsrud - made some good throws.  Can make enough plays for UND to have an even better season than last year.

Disterhaupt - was all over the field, made 14 tackles.

Needs work: 

Tackling - great athletes make it tougher, but way too many missed tackles.

Defensive pressure - makes a great Schmidt defense.  Need to find more depth at LB and DB so fresh legs are on those blitzes as the game wears on.

Throwing the ball into the middle of the field using tight ends.

IMO if team keeps getting better and stays away from any more injuries will play a huge game at the Alerus in November and can make a run into December  and possibly January.

Had a night to sleep on it. Coming out of that game with no injuries was huge! For how we handled ourselves against that front seven gotta love that. Missed some tackles on defense but didn't give up any huge yardage plays. I'll tell you though we look a whole lot the first game this year than we did last year! The excited for the season is real! As far as you Utah fans, man you have to be excited for the new weapons you got with Carrington and Huntley, man those boys look like freak athletes!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Still baffled by that decision to punt that ball with 8 minutes on the clock.  That was their shot to keep it close (beat the spread).

I did beat the spread.  21.5 at Westgate.

Punting is Bubba's MO with that much time on the clock.  He expects defense to get the ball back. They did.  The WR dropped too many passes at critical times to move the chains.  This team will be tough as nails.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

I did beat the spread.  21.5 at Westgate.

Punting is Bubba's MO with that much time on the clock.  He expects defense to get the ball back. They did.  The WR dropped too many passes at critical times to move the chains.  This team will be tough as nails.

If Cloyd makes that catch, it ends 30-16, and maybe 30-19 or 30-23.

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

"The Score" app still using the interlocking ND logo.  darell, can you get on the horn with them and tell them that UND is all about the hawk-in-N-D logo now?

ESPN used the Hawk logo. Score is a little behind the times. 

1 hour ago, shep said:

The argument is moot. Studs may not have "won" the game with his arm. But his arm put UND in the position to have Harris INT be the difference. UND was left for dead and Studs arm brought them back in that game.

im not saying the offense should revolve around him, we are a running team, but Rudy could/should definitely open the playbook a bit and take some chances.

• Upvote 3