SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, UteFan said:

ND played well. Coached well, good sportsmanship and tough as nails.  I saw at least 3,000 fans in the corner. Liked the green helmets. Looked sharp.  Hope your team wins the next 13. 

Good luck to you guys the rest of the year, hope you go undefeated. (makes us look better :D)

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

Two things if we are going to be able to occasionally play with the big boys - our lines both need better pushes and we need to go into the game with an offense that is geared to mix things up and play to win.  I am very happy with the effort by the boys.  Not as happy with the "play just to keep the game respectable" attitude shown by the coaches.  Come on Bubba, go for it.  

I couldn't agree more. I unfortunately sensed this as well, even leading up to the game. I didn't hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, but I felt UND was undermining their chances against Utah the entire time. That is no good for this UND football program, considering they compete with a program only 70 miles away that consistently knocks off FBS teams.

Be aggressive and go for the damn win. I fully endorse the physical, run-orientated philosophy of the offense, but when things aren't working, the offense needs to get far more diversified than it did tonight against Utah. Rudolph is probably partly to blame for this, but it is on the entire coaching staff, also. 

• Upvote 2

I would be surprised if 95% of us thought UND would win.   At times they looked to compete really well and other times no so much. Utah is a tough matchup.  UND will get better and obviously there will not be a d line like that in fcs and their qb was insanely athletic.  Add the OC from eastern Washington to that talent !!!! Wow!!  E wash did remarkable things at the fcs level and he has better tools at Utah. We will see the same offense in nov at the AL.  Gubrud is very similar to Huntley.  

Rudolph calls a horrible game.... AGAIN!  It is very elementary.   .  Same play on 1st down four years running.  I've bitched about him now for four years.  I will keep bitching.  Unbelievably predictable!  

Und will have a great year, this was just an expected bump in the road.  

Defense, minus injuries, will be really good.  They had a lot of miscues against a very talented O. First game cobwebs are gone. 

Cant wait for misery st. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

Missouri State plays Missouri 1pm on SEC Network/WatchESPN if looking for a preview of next week.

Would be interesting to watch.

That being said, UND needs to focus on themselves largely yet. They need to be able to run the ball better and play better pass coverage defensively. Also, the defensive pass rush didn't hit home enough. Lastly, need way more explosive plays offensively. Asking for a lot, I know, but tonight's game showed several areas of weakness that need to be addressed. 

Just now, Longtime fan said:

I would be surprised if 95% of us thought UND would win.   At times they looked to compete really well and other times no so much. Utah is a tough matchup.  UND will get better and obviously there will not be a d line like that in fcs and their qb was insanely athletic.  Add the OC from eastern Washington to that talent !!!! Wow!!  E wash did remarkable things at the fcs level and he has better tools at Utah. We will see the same offense in nov at the AL.  Gubrud is very similar to Huntley.  

Rudolph calls a horrible game.... AGAIN!  It is very elementary.   .  Same play on 1st down four years running.  I've bitched about him now for four years.  I will keep bitching.  Unbelievably predictable!  

Defense, minus injuries, will be really good.  They had a lot of miscues against a very talented O. First game cobwebs are gone. 

Cant wait for misery st. 

that is one thing about bubba i don't really believe...he said that he hired rudy bc he was tough to coach against bc of his "intelligence" or "creativity" (can't really remember) ...yet i'm sure some dc's watch some of our games and wonder if rudy came from a d2 school (oops).

• Upvote 1

I get that we want to be a run first team but the staff needs to trust the offensive talent and throw the ball more early.  Studs could win us a game if he had to, but we never put him in that position.  Throw it on first and second down in the first and second quarters.   The talent is there now. Especially if we put Santiago in the slot.  

• Upvote 1

We kept with a P5 well into the second half. One big turnover could have changed the game drastically when we were losing by only 11 and 14 points. I think every position showed some good promise against superior size and talent. Look how out d line gave their o line such battle all night. We stepped up and played some great football for the first game of the year. Yeah we could have made some plays to be more in it but they also were not playing to the best of their abilities. We should not as fans to expect to beat these P5 programs like it is a must win. Fans should keep these games in perspective because FBS records like Fargo's are tough to come by for even top FCS programs. I don't think some of you see the big talent we kept with tonight.

and for gods sake can we play action pass studs and let him make more plays on the run. I hope Rudolph was keeping some of the playbook under wraps for the rest of the season. Kudos to the O line also because they battled all night against a tough P5 d line.

im just as pumped for 2017 if not even more. This team has promise and the coaching to make them better every day.

• Upvote 4

Ute fan here.  Wanted to reiterate your team fought hard and was competitive.  Best of luck to North Dakota the rest of the season.   Also agree that your team were very good sports and great sportsmanship   

We play the dirty nut punchers next week (search you tube for BYU nut punch). BYU sucks

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Cant wait for misery st. 

Defense looked good at times.  Looked a little gassed at times.  Too many missed tackles.  Disterhaupt made lots of tackles.  Minus injuries?  Did any defenders get injured tonight?  Oline will look much better the rest of the year, that was very stout defensive front.

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We kept with a P5 well into the second half. One big turnover could have changed the game drastically when we were losing by only 11 and 14 points. I think every position showed some good promise against superior size and talent. Look how out d line gave their o line such battle all night. We stepped up and played some great football for the first game of the year. Yeah we could have made some plays to be more in it but they also were not playing to the best of their abilities. We should not as fans to expect to beat these P5 programs like it is a must win. Fans should keep these games in perspective because FBS records like Fargo's are tough to come by for even top FCS programs. I don't think some of you see the big talent we kept with tonight.

and for gods sake can we play action pass studs and let him make more plays on the run. I hope Rudolph was keeping some of the playbook under wraps for the rest of the season. Kudos to the O line also because they battled all night against a tough P5 d line.

im just as pumped for 2017 if not even more. This team has promise and the coaching to make them better every day.

He keeps it rolled up in his arm pit all year.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

so we don't run a play against utah that could potentially help us win this so two months later we can run that "play in our pocket" against sac state?  i've heard this before but please tell me this isn't true???

• Upvote 2