SiouxSports.com Forum

Utah Predictions

UND Fan

I've said this before and it definitely applies here, FCS wins over FBS teams are about styles of play. It's rare that the FCS team can line up and play "strength on strength" with an FBS team and come away with a victory. NDSU's wins over Iowa and K-state were rare examples of an FCS team physically beating the FBS team and both of those wins surprised me. 

All of the above being true IMO, this is a stylistically tough matchup for UND. UND's strengths from what I've seen are running the ball and stopping the run. UND, I believe, will have a lot of trouble consistently gaining yards on the ground on this stout front line of Utah and on the other side of the ball, I believe Utah will be able to avoid the strength of UND's defense by picking on your corners without your all American out there. I think it'll be a tough day for UND.

Utah-40+

UND-10-14

• Upvote 1

I would love nothing more then a victory but Utah is head and shoulders the best team UND has ever faced.  

Defense: I think unds defense, because of the complete  "newness" offense for Utah, will be able to ruffle some feathers early.    IMO the OLB for UND have to be the most disciplined and sharp for UND to succeed.  Need to contain their active QB. Also need a hard edge rush to fluster the newbie.  

Offense??  I haven't been sold with Rudolphs play calling and Utahs D  is a top unit in college football.  Lowell (NT)  is a grown ass man that is really uncontainable for any team.  He will be playing Sunday's next year.  Their front is just simply better then most of the O lines they go against. 

Und brings back a lot of experienced players with a ton of game time minutes.  They are comfortable and calm and ready for game time    They will not be intimidated.  

I feel UND will hang and could possibly lead at halftime.  The adjustments, talent and comfort level will set in for Utah. 

Utah 38

Und 17 

Hope I'm wrong.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, RavenousUte said:

Very true... then again I'm not making any assumptions on Bubba's defense... or offense.

All I'm saying is that football is football. No matter what level. Other than the same 5-6 FBS teams every year, it is everyone else after that fighting for the same recruits...including the top FCS teams. Give me 50-60 farm kids over any skilled team anyday. Still gotta strap the helmet on and play the downs. Bubba has got the ship going the right direction. He'll have his steam ready to play. UND has a monstrous offensive line and 3 very talented, and brute-like running backs with speed. A bit of a David vs. Goliath? Maybe. I'll take that challenge. Nothing sweeter than knocking off one of the big boys on the block.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I've said this before and it definitely applies here, FCS wins over FBS teams are about styles of play. It's rare that the FCS team can line up and play "strength on strength" with an FBS team and come away with a victory. NDSU's wins over Iowa and K-state were rare examples of an FCS team physically beating the FBS team and both of those wins surprised me. 

All of the above being true IMO, this is a stylistically tough matchup for UND. UND's strengths from what I've seen are running the ball and stopping the run. UND, I believe, will have a lot of trouble consistently gaining yards on the ground on this stout front line of Utah and on the other side of the ball, I believe Utah will be able to avoid the strength of UND's defense by picking on your corners without your all American out there. I think it'll be a tough day for UND.

Utah-40+

UND-10-14

Dare I say a voice of reason on this site from Moo U?

What I'm hoping for:  UND by 1 or more :)

What I'd be happy with:  Utah 35 UND 24 (or closer)

What I expect:  Utah 38 UND 17

This is a tough matchup for UND offensively, as Utah has a stout d-line (and does every year).  The Utes have some new pieces on the offensive side of the ball that could cause a slow start, but they are a top 25 team in the FBS for a reason.  I know that our expectations for our squad get heightened due to NDSU beating power 5 teams, which is really something...but that's not the norm.  I hope we can play a clean game, keep it close, and STAY HEALTHY...anything more than that is gravy in my mind!

Leaving tomorrow night after work for SLC...and I can't wait for Thursday!  I've always thought a night game at Rice-Eccles would be fun based on what I've seen on TV...hopefully it lives up to my expectations! 

• Upvote 1

I predict we will find some success tailgating and then have a great time after the game checking out a few watering holes!

Aside from that I would like to see this offense take the next step and make some plays. We have the tools and a lot less inexperience on this side of the ball.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UND08 said:

What I'm hoping for:  UND by 1 or more :)

What I'd be happy with:  Utah 35 UND 24 (or closer)

What I expect:  Utah 38 UND 17

This is a tough matchup for UND offensively, as Utah has a stout d-line (and does every year).  The Utes have some new pieces on the offensive side of the ball that could cause a slow start, but they are a top 25 team in the FBS for a reason.  I know that our expectations for our squad get heightened due to NDSU beating power 5 teams, which is really something...but that's not the norm.  I hope we can play a clean game, keep it close, and STAY HEALTHY...anything more than that is gravy in my mind!

Leaving tomorrow night after work for SLC...and I can't wait for Thursday!  I've always thought a night game at Rice-Eccles would be fun based on what I've seen on TV...hopefully it lives up to my expectations! 

Still more of a late afternoon early evening game...   Hopefully it will be dark enough for them to light up the U after the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UofUUtes said:

The same Wyoming team that won 2 games that year...OK 

Yeah Wyoming was bad that year. That win didn't even get our 7-4 team into the playoffs. They were that bad lol.

They do have real elevation as Laramie well over 7,000 feet. Last season we played:

Bozeman MT 4,800 feet

Pocatello ID 4,460 feet

Greeley CO 4,658 feet

The elevation should not be the issue. Your massive D line is what I am worrying about.

• Upvote 1