SiouxSports.com Forum

Rings

old school

The conference gives a trophy for the University to have, correct?

The University coordinates getting the players the rings.  I'd think that what is not setting right is that students in three other conference winning

sports at UND received rings and football players did not.  "If everyone can't afford them then nobody should get them" . . . their words, right?

The university should still make this happen somehow.  Even if it's a year later.  Those guys that graduated last year deserve it.

I'd assume that the upper crust at the University would agree . . . they just need to find a way to make it happen. 

Where is the money from that "athletic department garage sale" going?

36 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

The conference gives a trophy for the University to have, correct?

The University coordinates getting the players the rings.  I'd think that what is not setting right is that students in three other conference winning

sports at UND received rings and football players did not.  "If everyone can't afford them then nobody should get them" . . . their words, right?

The university should still make this happen somehow.  Even if it's a year later.  Those guys that graduated last year deserve it.

I'd assume that the upper crust at the University would agree . . . they just need to find a way to make it happen. 

Where is the money from that "athletic department garage sale" going?

Agree 100%, all members of all winning teams or no teams! It has to be an even playing field for all. The perception of this not only appears bad to the players but what about recruits coming in and future recruiting prospects? It may seem irrelevant to some who have posted here to say its the wrong reason to play the game if its just for a ring, but these young men when getting recruited have all the Bling of the equipment, free gear, etc dangled in front of them to entice them.  Would the fact that winning your conference and receiving recognition by means of a Ring not also go a long way when competing against other schools?

Does someone know for sure that the other three teams got rings?  If so who paid for them?  I don't buy the "some players can't afford one" so no one gets one. Back in the day if I couldn't afford a class ring I didn't get one.   

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Does someone know for sure that the other three teams got rings?  If so who paid for them?  I don't buy the "some players can't afford one" so no one gets one. Back in the day if I couldn't afford a class ring I didn't get one.   

That more like it, there's got be something more to this.

8 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

And I'll be the first to admit that there's some speculation to some of this.  The great equipment and great facilities are bought . . . the right to a ring is earned.  Problem is it has to be both earned and bought:blush:

3 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

And I'll be the first to admit that there's some speculation to some of this.  The great equipment and great facilities are bought . . . the right to a ring is earned.  Problem is it has to be both earned and bought:blush:

I think everything is accomplished except the last word.

13 hours ago, siouxfb said:

We had to pay for the one on the left...the one on the right means a little more and was given to us. :) I say just go win one of those. 

IMG_1710.PNG

I saw the one on the right every Friday my senior year in high school. A current coach was in his first year teaching social studies in Crookston. 

The other 3 teams that won the Big Sky GOT rings for winning the conference.  I understand the quantity of players/coaches for football and cost but that is a known fact.  The message Bubba sent to the players that earned that conference championship last season is that you don't deserve this token.  Yes it is just a ring but it is an everlasting symbol and pride of what they accomplished.  The seniors on last years team don't get another chance to win the conference. 

Prior football teams that won the conference GOT rings.  Second slap in the face to the players.

You announce this one week prior to the season opener.....wow that has to be the worst timing ever!

Coaches got raises (which they deserved), sold almost 1200 additional season tickets, season tailgate lot is sold out....oh but sorry players you get nothing for all your blood, sweat, injuries, heart and dedication you have given to rebuild this program.  If there were no players or team there would be none of this!

What message have you just sent to the upperclassmen players.....what message are you sending to the younger players and recruits?

IMO, there are so many bad outcomes of this decision. 

• Upvote 3

There are probably compliance issues that prevent individuals from starting a fund for rings but couldn't UND give fans an option to "pay up" for things like tailgating sites, parking, passing the hat in the Champions Club tent, having auctions for football items in the Champions Club tent, even taking a donation toward the posters they usually give away - if it is optional to fans then UND could earmark the money for the rings. We are talking about $30,000 however, which is a steep amount to raise but at least the money could buy-down the cost. 

Does the Hockey team get rings evertime they win a conference championship.  IMO for the Hockey and Football teams the ultimite goal is to win a National Championship. All the other sports the Conference championship is the highest realiztic goal as far as championships go.  Maybe that is the difference.

• Upvote 2

So what happens when ;) UND wins the Big Sky this season?  No rings again?  It wouldn't be right for this year's class to get rings if last year's didn't.

Maybe they'd need to make the back payments before paying forward.  This just shouldn't even be an issue.

1 hour ago, UNDfan2013 said:

The other 3 teams that won the Big Sky GOT rings for winning the conference.  I understand the quantity of players/coaches for football and cost but that is a known fact.  The message Bubba sent to the players that earned that conference championship last season is that you don't deserve this token.  Yes it is just a ring but it is an everlasting symbol and pride of what they accomplished.  The seniors on last years team don't get another chance to win the conference. 

Prior football teams that won the conference GOT rings.  Second slap in the face to the players.

You announce this one week prior to the season opener.....wow that has to be the worst timing ever!

Coaches got raises (which they deserved), sold almost 1200 additional season tickets, season tailgate lot is sold out....oh but sorry players you get nothing for all your blood, sweat, injuries, heart and dedication you have given to rebuild this program.  If there were no players or team there would be none of this!

What message have you just sent to the upperclassmen players.....what message are you sending to the younger players and recruits?

How did this come about? Was there an article on the teams getting rings except the football team?

3 hours ago, UNDfan2013 said:

That's weird.  I'll be honest, I haven't seen any of the other teams (VB, WBB, MBB) with them or posting pics or doing a lot of talking about it on social media etc...  I would just think we would have seen more if they did get rings.  And if they did, maybe they had it in their team budgets or took an extra "money/revenue" game to do it?   Really no idea on any of this.  Just spit ballin.

3 minutes ago, the green team said:

That's weird.  I'll be honest, I haven't seen any of the other teams (VB, WBB, MBB) with them or posting pics or doing a lot of talking about it on social media etc...  I would just think we would have seen more if they did get rings.  And if they did, maybe they had it in their team budgets or took an extra "money/revenue" game to do it?   Really no idea on any of this.  Just spit ballin.

I'm with you on this. I haven't seen anything on rings for any of the teams either. 

Here's how the National Championship hockey rings were paid for in 2016:

The Engelstad Family Foundation paid for the rings, which were made by Jostens.

“We are incredibly grateful for this special gift from the Engelstad family," UND coach Brad Berry said. "They are so important to our program and to this University and we cherish that relationship. The young men on the ice last season earned these rings, but we also wanted to pay tribute to the championship teams who came before us and laid that foundation of success.”

1 minute ago, PATRIOT said:

Be patient...UND will make this right...

On to the Look Alikes Thread where you guys are already in Mid-Season form!!!!!!:D

It shouldn't have to be "made right", it should have been done right in the first place.

I am having a tough time believing that the 3 other teams got rings and football did not.

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2017 at 10:21 PM, siouxfb said:

We had to pay for the one on the left...the one on the right means a little more and was given to us. :) I say just go win one of those. 

IMG_1710.PNG

Info please.  What were these rings commemorating and what year? I am only three years on this board so a mere babe with UND.

33 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

Info please.  What were these rings commemorating and what year? I am only three years on this board so a mere babe with UND.

2001 national champions on the right. NCC conference champions on the left from what I'm guessing was also 2001.