SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky and MVFC create Challenge Series

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2017 Challenge Series
Date -- Matchup (TV)
Sept. 9 -- #2 North Dakota State at #5 Eastern Washington, 4 pm ET (SWX/NBC ND/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #23 Cal Poly at #18 UNI, 5 pm ET (Panther Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #4 South Dakota State at Montana State, 8 pm ET (SWX/Pluto TV/Altitude 2)
Sept. 9 -- #25 Western Illinois at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
Sept. 9 -- Missouri State at #8 North Dakota, 5 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/Pluto TV)
Sept. 16 -- #8 North Dakota at South Dakota, 3 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 16 -- #18 UNI at Southern Utah, 8 pm ET (Pluto TV)
Oct. 7 -- #20 Illinois State at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
*Networks and streaming subject to change

I've posted this schedule yesterday on another thread, but taught it would be appropriate here also.

• 3 weeks later...

The MVFC does have an advantage over the Big Sky with 4 schools NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNI offering COA vs 1 school UND.  As time goes on and COA is around for 5 years it is going to make a bigger difference.  I think this is year 3 right now and 4 out of 5 are ranked 2, 3, 27, 22,11 in last weeks rankings.  USD on verge of being ranked.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This was pretty disappointing, here's another reason why we need to win in SD. Big Sky could still end up .500 with the sweep.

Biggest reason for UND to beat South Dakota is that UND could run the Big Sky conference schedule undefeated again ... going 2-1 in OOC schedule would really set UND up for a top 8 seed in the FCS playoffs ... 10-1 (or I suppose 9-2 if drop one more) regular season record 

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Biggest reason for UND to beat South Dakota is that UND could run the Big Sky conference schedule undefeated again ... going 2-1 in OOC schedule would really set UND up for a top 8 seed in the FCS playoffs ... 10-1 (or I suppose 9-2 if drop one more) regular season record 

With four Dakota schools in the early conversation for playoff spots this game is big.  2-1 vs arguably the toughest non conference schedule between the four teams would look good later on.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I really thought NAU had a chance going into Saturday. I watched that game for a bit and was not impressed with NAU. 

I didn't see that game at all, but am surprised by the score on this one.  NAU was moving the ball pretty well against Arizona in their first game.....only scoring 20 really surprises me.  

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Big Sky is 3-5 in the Challenge with  Idaho State & SUU winning and UND losing.

Wait a minute...are you saying that Nevada (the team Idaho State beat) is in the MVFC??

by my count, the Big Sky is 2-5 so far and still have the Illinois State-Northern Arizona matchup on October 7th.

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

Wait a minute...are you saying that Nevada (the team Idaho State beat) is in the MVFC??

by my count, the Big Sky is 2-5 so far and still have the Illinois State-Northern Arizona matchup on October 7th.

Thanks for the correct info dmksioux, my bad. The last game is as you say Oct. 7 ,  Illinois State at Northern Arizona