SiouxSports.com Forum

Improving the game day experience

CMSioux

I can't believe that people complain about having to tell their buddies where they are tailgating at... It really isn't that difficult. Although normally I'd just arrive with the people I am tailgating with. Send a group text message... Bam, problem solved. Get a super tall flag, problem solved. Make new friends.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I can't believe that people complain about having to tell their buddies where they are tailgating at... It really isn't that difficult. Although normally I'd just arrive with the people I am tailgating with. Send a group text message... Bam, problem solved. Get a super tall flag, problem solved. Make new friends.

Couldn't agree more.  The lot is not the big.  Everyone has a cell phone.  Text out our location. 

First Come first serve is best.  It eliminates the problem of people showing up right before kickoff and claiming their spot up front maneuvering between Tailgaters.  Also, it encourages people to get there early and creates more of an atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I'm glad you don't think it's an issue and you are able to show up with every person you tailgate with. However we have a large group and not everyone shows up at once and I know of very few groups where everyone gets there at the same time. Some families have other commitments they need to take care of first. Not everyone wants to be out there with their kids for 5-6 hours or even that long themselves. We also invite tons of people to join us and not every one of them makes it every week, nor do I want to spend my time figuring out which people are or aren't going to make it and trying to direct them to where we are.  We have a large flag pole, however there are only so many different UND and Hawks flags available to differentiate yourself.

Like I stated, these are "first world problem" and I am equally frustrated with some of the issues the come with completely reserved tailgating and am fully on-board with coming up with some solutions to improve it. A couple years ago, for a late season game, there wasn't anyone within 50 yards of us and it was ridiculous. I'm just stating that going to a complete unreserved system isn't going to be a magic bullet and there will be quite a few people who will have their issues with it. Discussing some of them now, while they are looking at changes, seems to be a good way for the committee to take them into consideration and help shape a solution that people can live with. However completely revising the system and doing something like telling a group of large donors who have been tailgating for 15+ years that they are going to lose their spot they have been in since the Alerus opened if they show up at 8:30 instead of 8:00 doesn't seem like a great solution (note that this is just an example, I would love to be in the front of the lot). If that's the route they take, we'll almost always end up with better spots than we currently have and will benefit overall, however I have my reservations of making such a drastic change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm glad you don't think it's an issue and you are able to show up with every person you tailgate with. However we have a large group and not everyone shows up at once and I know of very few groups where everyone gets there at the same time. Some families have other commitments they need to take care of first. Not everyone wants to be out there with their kids for 5-6 hours or even that long themselves. We also invite tons of people to join us and not every one of them makes it every week, nor do I want to spend my time figuring out which people are or aren't going to make it and trying to direct them to where we are.  We have a large flag pole, however there are only so many different UND and Hawks flags available to differentiate yourself.

Like I stated, these are "first world problem" and I am equally frustrated with some of the issues the come with completely reserved tailgating and am fully on-board with coming up with some solutions to improve it. A couple years ago, for a late season game, there wasn't anyone within 50 yards of us and it was ridiculous. I'm just stating that going to a complete unreserved system isn't going to be a magic bullet and there will be quite a few people who will have their issues with it. Discussing some of them now, while they are looking at changes, seems to be a good way for the committee to take them into consideration and help shape a solution that people can live with. However completely revising the system and doing something like telling a group of large donors who have been tailgating for 15+ years that they are going to lose their spot they have been in since the Alerus opened if they show up at 8:30 instead of 8:00 doesn't seem like a great solution (note that this is just an example, I would love to be in the front of the lot). If that's the route they take, we'll almost always end up with better spots than we currently have and will benefit overall, however I have my reservations of making such a drastic change.

Other phones may have this feature, but for sure if you have an iPhone. Start a group text with all pertinent parties and go to the upper right corner to the "i" icon, click on it and share your location in the text thread and their GPS will bring them directly to your location.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Other phones may have this feature, but for sure if you have an iPhone. Start a group text with all pertinent parties and go to the upper right corner to the "i" icon, click on it and share your location in the text thread and their GPS will bring them directly to your location.

Man phones are fancy these days.  An iPhone will literally pick a person up and carry them to a spot on a map.  Fantastic!

:cool:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

Couldn't agree more.  The lot is not the big.  Everyone has a cell phone.  Text out our location. 

First Come first serve is best.  It eliminates the problem of people showing up right before kickoff and claiming their spot up front maneuvering between Tailgaters.  Also, it encourages people to get there early and creates more of an atmosphere.

First come, first serve will not happen.  While it may create some urgency to get there the risk of fighting for spots and unwanted animosity towards each other is the reality.  That's not what we need.  Folks like a system and some even like to put the cell phones away for a while to enjoy a Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I kinda agree with the first cone first serve idea in a way. We just got a season tailgating spots this year, we were at all games last year just used the daily spots, and our season spots are farther back than I'd like to be. I just don't want to walk around and see a lot of open spots that could be used by the people that are gonna be there every game, like myself. I also think that how they have the whole parking lot set up now should for sure be changed, the layout is dumb in my opinion. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Absolutely. I totally agree. Team walk through needs to be an every and we can't have cars just showing up any time and rolling through the crowds of people.

This traffic during the prime time of tailgating is a nuisance to the fans walking around. There's no way a vehicle should be allowed to drive in the tailgating area close to game time.  Like maybe at least an hour prior to kickoff.  If they have a tailgate spot and come too late, they can't park in the tailgate area and have to park in regular parking.  

Edit, or have to park in some designated area for late come tailgaters.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

First come, first serve will not happen.  While it may create some urgency to get there the risk of fighting for spots and unwanted animosity towards each other is the reality.  That's not what we need.  Folks like a system and some even like to put the cell phones away for a while to enjoy a Saturday.

right? try not to kill your phone starting early and leaving it on in the battery succubus that is the Alerus.

15 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree with this decision but I hope they do continue to look into ways to make sure spots are used for tailgating and just being used in general. I do think closing the reserved lots to traffic at 1 1/2 - 2 hours before kick-off would be helpful.

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I agree with this decision but I hope they do continue to look into ways to make sure spots are used for tailgating and just being used in general. I do think closing the reserved lots to traffic at 1 1/2 - 2 hours before kick-off would be helpful.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204985525&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Under "Tailgating Rules and General Info"

• All tailgaters must be moved into assigned space(s) 2 hours prior to kickoff.

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204985525&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Under "Tailgating Rules and General Info"

• All tailgaters must be moved into assigned space(s) 2 hours prior to kickoff.

I don't think that is a new rule, it is just a matter of finally enforcing it. But at least it is already out there.

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

That rule has never been inforced. 

Admittedly I can't make it to UND home games, but what about a two strikes rule?  You get one game to miss as things happen, etc.  But if you, or someone taking up your spot isn't there within 2 hours a second time you lose your tailgating pass?

Have a waitlist and I'm sure some other people would gladly jump on half-way through the year.

My perspective is that UND is not willing to rock the boat when it comes to enforcing useage rules of full-time tailgaters - sometimes it's local businesses that have good intentions but in the end no one shows up.  I talked with one guy who had three spots and never showed up one year - not once and it left a big gap between spots, the following year they showed up once and we chatted, he admitted not having much interest in being a regular but no intention of giving up the spots. 

17 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

do they not already? because this is another thing we did plenty last year

"Tailgating Rules and General Info"

- All space-holders will have one hour to clear and clean their space(s) after the conclusion of the game.