SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Vikings 2017 2018

Fetch

18 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Vikings hire Philly's QB coach as their OC

This is getting interesting.  DeFilippo will likely make a push to Spielman for Foles, but I can't imagine he's willing to give up another first-rounder to that organization.  Stay tuned.  

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

This is getting interesting.  DeFilippo will likely make a push to Spielman for Foles, but I can't imagine he's willing to give up another first-rounder to that organization.  Stay tuned.  

Or Wentz - another knee waiting to give out & I doubt they will be able to afford it 

Really Wonder which QB will come back & win Super bowl Bradford -Bridgewater - Wentz has there ever been QB with that type of injury really come back & Win it all ?

& I still think Keenum is very good & maybe great 

& Foles whod a thunk it - shows you need a lot more than QB

• 3 weeks later...

Very much agree with the plan to not tag Keenum and have to overpay him. Seems like more and more reports that there is mutual interest between the Vikings and Cousins but I still think that will depend on whether Cousins is looking for the most $$$ he can get or whether it is more important to find a contender.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Brees as good as ever his last game this yr

2 Keenum feel bad for him

3 Bradford if knee holds up

4 Cousins never seen him play

But I trust GM Coaches Owners they want a SB as bad as we do

Save $ & spend it on better D & Oline

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

Brees will be back with NO.

Keenum just agreed to a deal with Denver (terms undisclosed at this time).

It sounds like Cousins will be with Minnesota on a 3 year deal @ $28M/year, possibly all guaranteed.

Wow @1972...I get a downvote for reporting this?  Thanks bud!

37 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Wow @1972...I get a downvote for reporting this?  Thanks bud!

not the reporting of it, the fact that they are going to pay cousins that kind of money... no disrespect intended.  I felt that keenum is the better value for the dollar, and have some cash left for other contracts in the next few years.

6 minutes ago, 1972 said:

not the reporting of it, the fact that they are going to pay cousins that kind of money... no disrespect intended.  I felt that keenum is the better value for the dollar, and have some cash left for other contracts in the next few years.

I actually agree with you.  I was sorta hoping they'd just go with Keenum.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 1972 said:

Keenum will likely sign for around 20 million.  That's only 8 million the Vikings would save by signing him.  Paying the extra 8M for Cousins is totally worth it.

And if you are worried about cap space for the Vikings, you haven't done your homework.  Plenty of money to resign guys and sign other free agents as well the next 3 years.  

Cousins is better than Keenum.  Signing him is the smarter thing to do.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Keenum will likely sign for around 20 million.  That's only 8 million the Vikings would save by signing him.  Paying the extra 8M for Cousins is totally worth it.

And if you are worried about cap space for the Vikings, you haven't done your homework.  Plenty of money to resign guys and sign other free agents as well the next 3 years.  

Agreed, no disrespect to Keenum, he had a great year, and was fun to watch. Guy helped take a team that was staring at more disappointment after injuries into a season to remember (though not as memorable as well all hoped). Seemed like a great guy and team player and hope he has a solid rest of his career.

That being said, you can't argue with some of Cousin's numbers, and you're going to plug him into a much better team. He'll have the receivers, the TE, the RB, and hopefully the offensive line. I agree that for $8 million, and with the money the Vikings have to spend, this is a smart move.

Very excited for to watch the Vikings next fall!

Signing Cousins is the right move for Minnesota.  Kennum really does seem like a great guy and I hope he is wildly successful in Denver (good luck with that with Elway hovering over like a helicopter).  With that said, the last three halves of football in the playoffs were NOT good.  It's also quite telling that the Giants were nowhere in the mix to sign him.  

This is why the Wilfs are the best professional sports ownership group Minnesota has seen in my lifetime.  They know there's a window, and they are pushing their chips all in to make this happen.  By the way, there's no Cousins signing without the TCO Performance Center and U.S. Bank Stadium.  Exciting times.   

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

$28M is too much to pay for a guy with a losing record in the NFL.  Spend the money to keep existing free agents on the roster.  Keep Teddy.

You neglected to mention that Cousins has been stuck playing for one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. Tom Brady couldn't turn the Redskins into a winner, not with man-child Daniel Snyder as the owner of the team.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Signing Cousins is the right move for Minnesota.  Kennum really does seem like a great guy and I hope he is wildly successful in Denver (good luck with that with Elway hovering over like a helicopter).  With that said, the last three halves of football in the playoffs were NOT good.  It's also quite telling that the Giants were nowhere in the mix to sign him.  

This is why the Wilfs are the best professional sports ownership group Minnesota has seen in my lifetime.  They know there's a window, and they are pushing their chips all in to make this happen.  By the way, there's no Cousins signing without the TCO Performance Center and U.S. Bank Stadium.  Exciting times.   

They need to get the final NFC playoff game in the bank, Bank Forward that is. That loss to Carolina late in the year still hurts.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

When this first came up about guaranteeing the full 3 years, I remember reading that by doing that, MN is able to front-load the salary cap implications.  That would mean the size of the cap hits decreases each year, so when they go to resign Barr, Cousins would actually cost less than he will this year when they don't have as big (important?) of contracts to dole out.  I guess we'll see what happens when it's finally done, but that could be a smart move if the Vikings can pull it off.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It wasn't an ordinary injury. The man almost lost his leg! Whether he can even perform anymore is anybody's guess.

But he didn't. He's healthy now and ready to play football.

Same with Sam Bradford. He's healthy and ready to play football.

Just don't quite get the hey, you're injured and we're moving on type mentality.

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Just don't quite get the hey, you're injured and we're moving on type mentality.

Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green, Alex Smith during his 49ers time, Brad Johnson in '98 for the Vikings, the list is endless.   

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Never.  No.  He is way to injury prone to rely on in any way.

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What happened to Bridgewater being the future and savior of the Vikings?

One injury and it's bye bye?

Not like he sprained an ankle. He completely blew up his knee. I don't think they wanted to hedge the potential of the franchise over the next several years on the recovery of an injury that doesn't have much precedent.

If you're going to go with a one legged QB, at least Bradford has a better throw. Teddy has/had better mobility, though didn't use it all that much. Teddy had a decent season before he got injured, but its not like he was tearing up the conference.

• Upvote 1