SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Attendance

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

Bubba has worked hard to promote a positive game day and has built up a lot of goodwill.  This should carry over into Saturday and beyond with good crowds and excited fans.  Overall, winning the Big Sky last year was a great leap forward and just what we needed.  However, we can't afford many more horrorshows like we had last week, especially at home.  Bubba Ball doesn't work when you just plain get the crap beat out of you.  Here's what worries me - I have been a Sioux football fan for about 50 years and going from my memory I can't name two halves of football that were worse than the second half of the Richmond game and the first half of the South Dakota game, especially given expectations going in.  This is something that needs to be righted immediately, especially the undisciplined play and the lack of adjustments.  Big game for us Saturday - I hope the good Sioux team shows up.  

• Upvote 1

Somewhat related - saw a Tweet about how SDSU was able to shut out SU fans from getting tickets by opening tickets sales to their own fans before opening for general admission. Game sold out before general admission opened. Not sure how they did it but hope UND ticket office makes a call. Of course there will be some SU in the stands but probably nothing compared to what it would have been.

Other thought - are there other fan bases that wring their hands about attendance going down every time they suffer a loss? Is the thought that UND has an overabundance of fair weather fans? Did Montana see a drop off after their past year? Is UND unique because of the amount of money 12,000 of their biggest fans have to spend on hockey tickets? 

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Somewhat related - saw a Tweet about how SDSU was able to shut out SU fans from getting tickets by opening tickets sales to their own fans before opening for general admission. Game sold out before general admission opened. Not sure how they did it but hope UND ticket office makes a call. Of course there will be some SU in the stands but probably nothing compared to what it would have been....

That's close but not entirely accurate. SDSU has made a concerted effort to increase attendance. (We had 15,806 this past weekend and that was a little disappointing - likely the wet and cool weather early in the day scared off a few. The game was the  annual Beef Bowl and that is always one of the better crowds at SDSU. We count attendance by actual bodies going through the turnstiles. There were several seats near my seats that were empty -- those are season tickets so the school has the revenue but it counts nothing for our attendance unless those people show up.) Part of the effort has been to give some fans priority for purchasing additional tickets. For example, I have four season tickets so I had a very early opportunity (weeks ago) to purchase four additional tickets and did so. There were other incentives offered as September 18 approached. Sept 18 was the announced date for tickets being offered to the general public.  There were relatively few tickets available in the past week to 10 days and they were essentially bought by the end of the week.

I think anything a school can do to encourage its fans to support its teams is great. That will lead to more season ticket sales and more casual fans becoming regular ticket buyers. NDSU serves as a model: its season ticket sales are excellent. Consequently, as we all know, its hard to get a lot of opposing fans into the seats for a game in Fargo. I've been there when there were quite a few empty seats but those seats were sold. All schools need to maximize their revenue.

A couple years ago when NDSU played at SDSU, Sanford Health bought tickets to the game to hand out to Sanford employees in Fargo. Hmmm....oh well, best is to have all the seats (except the minimum guaranteed to a visiting team) sold to SDSU fans for a game in Brookings but second best is to have all of the seats sold to someone so that those seats are producing revenue.  

On UND's ticket office making a call:  I'm confident SDSU's ticket office would  tell UND's ticket office what it is doing to maximize attendance by SDSU fans. Those policies were laid out in emails to SDSU season tickets holders and those who had purchased tickets (not just season tickets) in the past.  It is to the advantage of both the MVFC and the Summit League that all of their member schools make a lot of money at home events and that includes SDSU and will include UND.  A relatively few NDSU fans are upset with SDSU but that isn't a concern. The Benjamins are in the bank.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JackJD said:

That's close but not entirely accurate. SDSU has made a concerted effort to increase attendance. (We had 15,806 this past weekend and that was a little disappointing - likely the wet and cool weather early in the day scared off a few. The game was the  annual Beef Bowl and that is always one of the better crowds at SDSU. We count attendance by actual bodies going through the turnstiles. There were several seats near my seats that were empty -- those are season tickets so the school has the revenue but it counts nothing for our attendance unless those people show up.) Part of the effort has been to give some fans priority for purchasing additional tickets. For example, I have four season tickets so I had a very early opportunity (weeks ago) to purchase four additional tickets and did so. There were other incentives offered as September 18 approached. Sept 18 was the announced date for tickets being offered to the general public.  There were relatively few tickets available in the past week to 10 days and they were essentially bought by the end of the week.

I think anything a school can do to encourage its fans to support its teams is great. That will lead to more season ticket sales and more casual fans becoming regular ticket buyers. NDSU serves as a model: its season ticket sales are excellent. Consequently, as we all know, its hard to get a lot of opposing fans into the seats for a game in Fargo. I've been there when there were quite a few empty seats but those seats were sold. All schools need to maximize their revenue.

A couple years ago when NDSU played at SDSU, Sanford Health bought tickets to the game to hand out to Sanford employees in Fargo. Hmmm....oh well, best is to have all the seats (except the minimum guaranteed to a visiting team) sold to SDSU fans for a game in Brookings but second best is to have all of the seats sold to someone so that those seats are producing revenue.  

On UND's ticket office making a call:  I'm confident SDSU's ticket office would  tell UND's ticket office what it is doing to maximize attendance by SDSU fans. Those policies were laid out in emails to SDSU season tickets holders and those who had purchased tickets (not just season tickets) in the past.  It is to the advantage of both the MVFC and the Summit League that all of their member schools make a lot of money at home events and that includes SDSU and will include UND.  A relatively few NDSU fans are upset with SDSU but that isn't a concern. The Benjamins are in the bank.   

Thanks for that explanation, I read about this plan moving forward earlier in the year but didn't know you succeeded with selling all the general admission tickers before going public. I know there was some complaining in Fargovilly about this highly homey developed plan, got like it,  :silly: to SDSU.

JackJD, have a ? 4 U. Do you know how many FB tickets each home tickets office allows to be sold by a visiting team for it's MVFC games? Is it the same amount for every team? Do they return the unsold tickets back to the host team on Friday noon to be resold by home team ticket office? Would appreciate your help.

2 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Huge lines at every door.

I have also seen groups of people leaving after tailgate closed. 

In line it sounds like all FREE student tix are gone, still a alotment of reduced tickets. Might be a reason for the groups of students i see turning away from gate 2.

On 9/23/2017 at 3:15 PM, Wildfan said:

Huge lines at every door.

I have also seen groups of people leaving after tailgate closed. 

Thinking ahead they need to work to get security figured out before November or for the future any potential December games.  I know the play on the field needs to improve  but people won't stand in the long lines outside when it is below freezing outside.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2017 at 5:14 PM, darell1976 said:

I understand that it's based on tickets sold, but there were less butts in seats for this game than there was for Missouri State.  Not by much, mind you.  But I noticed.  So, I'm calling horse hockey on that graphic.

2 hours ago, homer said:

Thinking ahead they need to work to get security figured out before November or for the future any potential December games.  I know the play on the field needs to improve  but people won't stand in the long lines outside when it is below freezing outside.  

If the visiting team didn't walk through the area of gate 2 they easily could've moved the metal detectors in further where there is more room to add a few more and for people to wait inside. Heck would speed up the lines if they had 5 instead of 3 and had them setup outside the doors with a canopy cover. 

There were 2 lines at that gate, most didn't realize it and the much shorter 2nd line had 2 metal detectors while longer line had 1. Once you got so far they had barricades seperating the lines.