SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Attendance

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I still like gundy's concerns about our student section vacancies and having more tickets for the student section, something like 2,500 for the 2,000 available. That overage (after all seats actually have a butt in them) can always turn into standing room tickets.

59de281668f7a_studentsection.thumb.jpg.8b7ec3e7a092d9c376267a6d65481518.jpg

4th quarter of an exciting 4 quarter game.  It's hard to look at.   

Per quarter, my mental photos.  1st quarter - 80% 2nd quarter - 70% 3rd quarter 40%, and 4th quarter - 20%.

I am sending this to Alerus, UND Marketing, and UND Game Day Committee (cause I am an agitator, that's right)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Per quarter, my mental photos.  1st quarter - 80% 2nd quarter - 70% 3rd quarter 40%, and 4th quarter - 20%.

I am sending this to Alerus, UND Marketing, and UND Game Day Committee (cause I am an agitator, that's right)

Have to give the band an "A". I can see myself and my group off to the left in section 215, we stayed till the end, thanks for the pic. I'll add one thing, during the 4th quarter there were a lot of butts disappearing all over the Hawk's Nest except in that home of the beer polka section.  

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You do realize that literally every college football team in the country has this problem, right? Send the picture all you want I can guarantee the Alerus and athletic department is already aware of it. You can't force the students to stay. Just be glad they are there. I can think if more than one B10 school where the students roll in during the second quarter and leave during the third.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

You do realize that literally every college football team in the country has this problem, right? Send the picture all you want I can guarantee the Alerus and athletic department is already aware of it. You can't force the students to stay. Just be glad they are there. I can think if more than one B10 school where the students roll in during the second quarter and leave during the third.

Students are showing up, that is for sure, that's a big positive. Big improvement over last few years, so there is hope????

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I never said force anyone to stay.  I said accept it and oversell it.  Accept and Oversell!!!  I am gundy and I approve my message.

• Upvote 4

If the students who already have the tickets and are there don't want to stay why do you think students that currently only come for tailgating or don't come at all will want to stay?

I can't provide much insight because I love football and as a student in the D2 era I stayed for the whole game even when we were winning by 40. Only once did I leave early and that was because I had to go to work. Students today just have so many other options of things to do with their time. Spending five hours a Saturday at the Alerus for tailgating and football is just not going to win out for a majority of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Should we hand out brown participation ribbons to the first 500 students who leave at half time?

58 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I never said force anyone to stay.  I said accept it and oversell it.  Accept and Oversell!!!  I am gundy and I approve my message.

The students stay for Hawkey, so we can improve. Did you know that the student section will be full this season for ALLLLLL Hawkey games, now without those afternoon games.

10 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Even Michigan has had trouble filling the student section and keeping them there in recent years. This is not unique to UND. 

If we are going to look at Michigan and Alabama.......let's at least get the percentages established.

UND has 2,000 student seats for 14,223 enrollment (I subtracted the 3 druggies kicked off the team and I did take off players, band, and cheer members, estimated total 183)  4th quarter had 400 students out of 14,223 or 2.81% (if you're a 1%er you probably killed someone, that's how elite this low of a percentage is) of the student base stayed for the entire game. At 2,000 that's only 14.06% of the student base.  However, the most that have entered each game is closer to 11%.

Michigan has a 2016 enrollment of 44,718.  Their student section was as high as 21,000 in 2012, but is down to 14,000 today.  So 31% to 47% of the student base attend Michigan games.

Alabama has.......ran out of time.......but the point is, even at full UND student section capacity of 2,000 we are asking less than half of what Michigan gets, or less than a third of Michigan at it's peak.  

3 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Wow, that's crazy to think that Michigan's student section is 1/3 to 1/2 their enrollment. But is it fair to compare an FCS to an FBS program? How do we stack up compared to other FCS programs?? In overall attendance and students attendance.  

I don't like the comparison that others are making, I was adding some perspective to the numbers, UND vrs. Michigan.

What UND lacks in big time FBS atmosphere can be mitigated by a sense of community and pride.  Based on the percentages I feel we have room to improve.  Student tailgating has been wild, but need more in the game.  Overselling the student GA section will help for 2018.  Maybe we need a student committee so it becomes 'their' idea.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't like the comparison that others are making, I was adding some perspective to the numbers, UND vrs. Michigan.

What UND lacks in big time FBS atmosphere can be mitigated by a sense of community and pride.  Based on the percentages I feel we have room to improve.  Student tailgating has been wild, but need more in the game.  Overselling the student GA section will help for 2018.  Maybe we need a student committee so it becomes 'their' idea.

Yes yes yes, another committee is definitely needed.

• Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Do you have something against people volunteering their time to atleast try to make things better?  Should we not donate to charities, too, or is that OK with you?

34 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Isn't this the role of Nodak Nation?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Everything the Gameday committee has implemented has been an improvement. The tailgates are better, the crowds have been consistently bigger, and the Alerus Center environment is much better for gameday: more UND signage and better field lighting system for presentation. 

The only thing missing this season is the most important thing: a winning football team. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Everything the Gameday committee has implemented has been an improvement. The tailgates are better, the crowds have been consistently bigger, and the Alerus Center environment is much better for gameday: more UND signage and better field lighting system for presentation. 

The only thing missing this season is the most important thing: a winning football team. 

That would require a finish of  4 -1, with only 2 home games left?

23 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The students stay for Hawkey, so we can improve. Did you know that the student section will be full this season for ALLLLLL Hawkey games, now without those afternoon games.

There is a financial commitment here for the students. However there are quite a number of groups that leave after the 1st and 2nd period ends to go to parties. But it is alot easier for a student that has no money put into it to leave when it gets rough, or to attend their greek formals etc.

1 minute ago, Wildfan said:

There is a financial commitment here for the students. However there are quite a number of groups that leave after the 1st and 2nd period ends to go to parties. But it is alot easier for a student that has no money put into it to leave when it gets rough, or to attend their greek formals etc.

To a degree in MH, some leave, but nothing in comparison.

Some students do pay $5 to go, as the FB free tickets in the student section have all been given away for the three games so far. A financial commitment for the tickets probably would have more students still in attendance at the final buzzer, but how about for the start of the game?

I guess my point in that previous post was: Some posters are saying student attendance is getting to be a problem across college American. We have many students leaving early for FB. MH does well with student attendance, maybe we can learn something from that. Maybe charging a little would help some? Maybe there's a few things that need to get addresses? I can think of one off the top of my head, don't have as many injuries.

55 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

To a degree in MH, some leave, but nothing in comparison.

Some students do pay $5 to go, as the FB free tickets in the student section have all been given away for the three games so far. A financial commitment for the tickets probably would have more students still in attendance at the final buzzer, but how about for the start of the game?

I guess my point in that previous post was: Some posters are saying student attendance is getting to be a problem across college American. We have many students leaving early for FB. MH does well with student attendance, maybe we can learn something from that. Maybe charging a little would help some? Maybe there's a few things that need to get addresses? I can think of one off the top of my head, don't have as many injuries.

The amount of money you can get away with charging students to attend a football game is probably not going to keep them there if they get bored.