SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp Updates 2017

geaux_sioux

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If they aren't going to play Aplin a ton this year he should move to defense. He would be a wrecking ball DT.

The way things tend to go with injuries on the OL, Grant will get his reps. I think we need his depth there. Plus DL is stacked.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I lost track of the Practice #s ... but it's something like 19 days and a wake up until Utah!

• Speaking of 19.... Newcomer Ty Shannon showed up on the radar at today's practice with a beautiful pick on Zimmerman, who scrambled to his right and fired what would have been a nice low catch to a diving receiver...instead Shannon dove in front of the receiver and snatched the ball before it hit the turf.
  • Another player who probably had his best day of camp today was TE Cloyd. He had several nice catches over the middle, one that would have gone for a TD.
  • Actually, the TEs were featured quite a bit today as Alm and Pinke also made nice plays on slants over the middle for TDs.
  • Heidelbaugh is slowly establishing himself as the backup to Studs. He's a very smart cerebral QB that, knows the playbook and sees the field well from his 6-5 stature. Needs to get the ball off quicker. 
  • Noah Larson played a lot of reps at MLB with Rodgers today... with Disterhaupt and Haas on the outside.
  • Team drills focused on Hurry up offense today.
  • Banged up secondary players are starting to make their way back onto the practice field and taking normal reps, including Tyus, Holm and Torrey Hunt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I lost track of the Practice #s ... but it's something like 19 days and a wake up until Utah!

• Speaking of 19.... Newcomer Ty Shannon showed up on the radar at today's practice with a beautiful pick on Zimmerman, who scrambled to his right and fired what would have been a nice low catch to a diving receiver...instead Shannon dove in front of the receiver and snatched the ball before it hit the turf.
  • Another player who probably had his best day of camp today was TE Cloyd. He had several nice catches over the middle, one that would have gone for a TD.
  • Actually, the TEs were featured quite a bit today as Alm and Pinke also made nice plays on slants over the middle for TDs.
  • Heidelbaugh is slowly establishing himself as the backup to Studs. He's a very smart cerebral QB that, knows the playbook and sees the field well from his 6-5 stature. Needs to get the ball off quicker. 
  • Noah Larson played a lot of reps at MLB with Rodgers today... with Disterhaupt and Haas on the outside.
  • Team drills focused on Hurry up offense today.
  • Banged up secondary players are starting to make their way back onto the practice field and taking normal reps, including Tyus, Holm and Torrey Hunt.

Thanks for the update Teeder11!  Crazy how I wait for it.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

As always, thanks for the updated Teeder!

On a more somber note here is the conformation from Miller on losing a safety for the season:

http://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/08/11/und-loses-safety-andre-randolph-for-the-season/

So will he still get 4 years of eligibility, or does he burn one?

16 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Me, too.... and Teeder - you can say that your updates aren't necessary with the other people covering the team, but I'll say that I like your updates the best. You cover more ground and you're not trying to write stories, just observations on what you see and updates on what you've learned. Don't get me wrong, I think the other guys do a good job - but they're different, and you fill a niche that they don't. If you get tired of writing them and need a break, that's one thing - but if you don't do an update because you think others have it covered, please reconsider! :cool:

I 110% agree with this! 

Unfortunately it has been a pretty bad fall ball (injury wise and non participants) so far UND.  Lost three players for the season on the potential two deep list.   Cannot afford anymore injuries to the secondary..... very thin on numbers and experience at those positions.  

Fortunately bubba has this ship going the right direction.  

Can't  wait for the season to begin!!!..... Less then 3 weeks away!!!  

23 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Unfortunately it has been a pretty bad fall ball (injury wise and non participants) so far UND.  Lost three players for the season on the potential two deep list.   Cannot afford anymore injuries to the secondary..... very thin on numbers and experience at those positions.  

Fortunately bubba has this ship going the right direction.  

Can't  wait for the season to begin!!!..... Less then 3 weeks away!!!  

Who is the third?

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Meh. The loss of Harris was worse. The Randolph injury is a big hit too.

Had the potential to be the best pro prospect UND has ever had.  Difference maker true freshman year.  Santiago lived behind him.   Unbelievable athleticism! Feet of a rb.    Hands and technique were 9 out of 10.   Dedicating =zero.  Looked  like he never lifted a day in his life......zero.   Commited  twice to UND .....zero. 

Harris ...massive loss

randoplh..... has the makings of a special player    Very impressive hudl tape and had an even more impressive spring ball.   Had him pegged as a either a starter or in two deep this year .  

7 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Had the potential to be the best pro prospect UND has ever had.  Difference maker true freshman year.  Santiago lived behind him.   Unbelievable athleticism! Feet of a rb.    Hands and technique were 9 out of 10.   Dedicating =zero.  Looked  like he never lifted a day in his life......zero.   Commited  twice to UND .....zero. 

Harris ...massive loss

randoplh..... has the makings of a special player    Very impressive hudl tape and had an even more impressive spring ball.   Had him pegged as a either a starter or in two deep this year .  

Yea I was aboard the Grady Train but have moved on. 

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Harris ...massive loss

Let's not for get Connor O'Brien lost this off season too, he was the leading tackler last year right?   So in the off season we lost 1. Harris (pro prospect)  2. O'Brien (leading tackler if I recall) 3. Grady (potential pro prospect) granted he wasn't with us last year so hard to fully call that a loss.  Regardless, come November/ December you can't tell me we wouldn't be a more solid team with those guys, 3 starters.   This all before the season even starts, there will surely be other injuries coming.

That said, thankfully we have built more depth and can absorb these injuries better than we could have 2-3 years ago but they still hurt.  Injuries are part of the game though and everybody has them. I saw one NDSU fan on the FB FCS Fans nation page all but throw in the towel when Menard got hurt and out for the year, and they are probably one of the deeper teams in the FCS.  Obviously that guy blew things way out of proportion, NDSU is still a favorite to win it all.   I am still super excited about this year though, and the good thing about these is that they DID occur very early so the team can better prepare and move past it, other guys are getting more reps.  I am already passed the Harris, Grady, and O'Brien not playing this year....but you can't deny the difference they would have made, especially if more serious injuries creep up.